Author Topic: The Concert Thread  (Read 443402 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #165 on: October 11, 2005, 05:22:55 PM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
Doing some Chico area research, found Arlo:

Arlo Guthrie
Date(s): 10/29/2005 - 10/29/2005
Time: 7:30pm
Contact Phone: 898-6333
Chico Performance presents, Alice`s Restaruant 40th Anniversary Massacree Tour, Arlo Guthrie, son Abe, and Gordon Titcomb hit the stage at Laxson Auditoruim. For tickets and information contact the University Box Office.

He'll be at Zellerbach in Berkeley on the 30th, according to Pollstar. Wonder if he'd stop by the Tribal Stomp in the park earlier that day?
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #166 on: October 11, 2005, 08:02:01 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
They're supposed to be performing the American Idiot "opera" in its entirety.

Can you say "Live DVD just in time for Christmas"?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #167 on: October 11, 2005, 09:21:46 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

Possible, but do you really think they can get it shot, edited and produced in time for a mid-December-at-the-latest Christmas release?
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
quickly my dear
« Reply #168 on: October 11, 2005, 09:46:20 PM »
Possible, but do you really think they can get it shot, edited and produced in time for a mid-December-at-the-latest Christmas release?

These days, they come out lightning fast!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #169 on: October 16, 2005, 09:26:20 PM »
URTH: Where's your Green Day review?
Sharks bleed teal.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Chet Helms party
« Reply #170 on: October 21, 2005, 09:50:49 PM »
Just reviving this thread b/c I'm wondering how many of you are going, and whether Grace Slick is going to be there, and whether she ever reskedded w/ the morning showsters ...

Quote from: "Alicat"
Here's the scoop on the Chet Helms shindig:

FREE!
A Chet Helms Tribal Stomp
Family Dog
Sunday October 30th, 2005
Speedway Meadows, Golden Gate Park
10:00am to 5:30pm
Free

Bands: Nick Gravenites, Harvey Mandel, Taj Mahal, Dan Hicks and the Hot Licks, The Charlatans, Terry Haggerty and James Preston (Sons of Champlin), Zero II, Squid B. Vicious, Paul Kantner (Jefferson Airplane, Starship), Barry Melton (Country Joe and the Fish) Blue Cheer, (Dickie Peterson, Leigh Stephens), Jorge Santana, George Michalski, Greg Errico (Sly and the Family Stone), Quicksilver Gold, Canned Heat, Narada Michael Walden, Natural Act (Hal Wagenet and Hitchell Holman), Jeff Blackburn, Howard Wales, Richi Ray, (Freedom Highway), Ray Manzarek (The Doors), Vince Welnick, (TheTubes and Grateful Dead), Prairie Prince (Tubes), David Denny (Steve Miller), Peter Kaukonen, Iron Butterfly, Sammy Hagar, Herman Eberitzsch (Lee Oskar ,War), Ross Valory (Journey), Ace of Cups, War, Judge Murphy, Stephen Gaskin, David Freiberg (Quicksilver and Starship) Country Joe McDonald (Country Joe and The Fish) Greg Douglass (Steve Miller) Pete Sears (Rod Stewart, Hot Tuna), Bruce Latimer, David and Linda Laflamme (It's A Beautiful Day), Rowan Brothers, Lydia Pense, Annie Samson, Wavy Gravy.

Chet Helms was one of the founding fathers of the psychedelic movement from the 1960's. As promoter for the "Family Dog", Chet developed the concept of the modern rock concert and was one of the founding fathers of the 1960's peace movement that swept the nation and made waves around the world. Chet was also the catalyst that brought together Janis Joplin with Big Brother and the Holding Company, which helped shape the San Francisco sound. Without Chet Helms, as many have said, there would be no Grateful Dead, no Jefferson Airplane, no Big Brother and the list goes on and on. He promoted other acts like the Charlatans, the Great Society, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Peter Tosh, The Clash and countless others. Chet Helms continued promoting pivotal concerts through four decades. In the 60's at the Avalon Ballroom, Family Dog at the Beach, S.F. Golden Gate Park, Denver Dog, and Crystal Ballroom in Portland.

Quote from: "ggould"
this may be primarily of interest to Gaz, but the living SF music history pix are pretty cool.  First, here's a link to some photos:

http://vcpractice.com/chet/
<snip>

It appears we have not yet heard the last of Chet Helms. From Leah Garchik's column, today's fishwrap:

P.S.: That Chet Helms memorial/fundraiser at the Great American Musical Hall wasn't the last of it. An all-day Chet Helms Tribal Stomp, produced by Family Dog on Oct. 30 at Speedway Meadows in Golden Gate Park, will feature 7 1/2 hours of free live rock 'n' roll.

That sounds like it has a lot more promise than the Bridge show (not to mention it's a mere 15-20 blocks from my casa). The mind boggles at the psychedelic possibilities. Whaddaya think? Club gathering in the park?

I'm putting this on my calendar. Forget the Bridge.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 21, 2005, 10:23:00 PM »
Just reviving this thread b/c I'm wondering how many of you are going, and whether Grace Slick is going to be there, and whether she ever reskedded w/ the morning showsters ...

I know poc responded in the affirmative.  As to your other 2 questions: No and No.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 21, 2005, 10:31:13 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
I know poc responded in the affirmative.  As to your other 2 questions: No and No.

I'd certainly love to go, but I wish I was half my age, and could just hang out in GGP all day long chillin' out.
 :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #173 on: October 22, 2005, 01:33:09 PM »
to officially dedicate and celebrate the jerry garcia amphitheater....saturday, 29 oct 2005 11-5. free!!!!! live music: jefefrson starship and the jefferson airplane galactic family reunion. the jg apmph is located on shelley drive in john mclaren park. www.jgamp.org

i'll be there!!!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #174 on: October 22, 2005, 07:13:10 PM »
I can't make it to McLaren but still want to come to GGP on Sunday. Anyone else planning to go?
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #175 on: October 27, 2005, 03:12:52 PM »
I didn't know where to put this, and I'm surprised no one mentioned it before. The nominees for the next RnR Hall of Fame inductions came out a few weeks back:

Iggy and the Stooges
Sex Pistols
Blondie
Black Sabbath
Lynyrd Skynyrd,
John Mellencamp
J. Geils
Patti Smith Group
Chic
Cat Stevens
Joe Tex
Dave Clark Five
Paul Butterfield Band
Miles Davis
Sir Douglas Quintet

Still no Hollies, War, 3DN, Van halen....

Discuss!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #176 on: October 27, 2005, 03:58:16 PM »
I didn't know where to put this, and I'm surprised no one mentioned it before. The nominees for the next RnR Hall of Fame inductions came out a few weeks back:

Iggy and the Stooges
Sex Pistols
Blondie
Black Sabbath
Lynyrd Skynyrd,
John Mellencamp
J. Geils
Patti Smith Group
Chic
Cat Stevens
Joe Tex
Dave Clark Five
Paul Butterfield Band
Miles Davis
Sir Douglas Quintet

Discuss!

Seems to me that Sabbath should make it for pioneering the Heavy Metal genre.  Maybe the Paul Butterfield Band, too, for pioneering electric blues rock.

Of course, I'm happy to see J Geils nominated, though I don't expect them to make it.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #177 on: October 27, 2005, 04:40:52 PM »

Iggy and the Stooges
Sex Pistols
Blondie
Black Sabbath
Lynyrd Skynyrd,
John Mellencamp
J. Geils
Patti Smith Group
Chic
Cat Stevens
Joe Tex
Dave Clark Five
Paul Butterfield Band
Miles Davis
Sir Douglas Quintet

Discuss!

Sir Douglas gets the nod before the Hollies?  The Hollies slightly predate them & were immeasurably bigger, how's that possible?

I think Sex Pistols & Mellencamp get in this time for sure, maybe Cat Stevens too.  Probably Miles.  Predicting anything else would require more prescience than I got.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
RRHOF
« Reply #178 on: October 27, 2005, 10:49:24 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"

Iggy and the Stooges
Sex Pistols
Blondie
Black Sabbath
Lynyrd Skynyrd,
John Mellencamp
J. Geils
Patti Smith Group
Chic
Cat Stevens
Joe Tex
Dave Clark Five
Paul Butterfield Band
Miles Davis
Sir Douglas Quintet

Discuss!

Sir Douglas gets the nod before the Hollies?  The Hollies slightly predate them & were immeasurably bigger, how's that possible?

I think Sex Pistols & Mellencamp get in this time for sure, maybe Cat Stevens too.  Probably Miles.  Predicting anything else would require more prescience than I got.

Paul Butterfield Blues Band clear heavyweight here, if you don't count Miles Davis.  This was a truly historic pioneering band.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Chet Helms
« Reply #179 on: October 30, 2005, 08:44:24 PM »
I made it to the Chet Helms Tribal Stomp today. What a glorious, glorious day. Beautiful music, beautiful people, beautiful stuff floating all around. I wandered the whole meadow, side to side, front to back. I was up front for Blue Cheer and Paul Kantner (Volunteers, White Rabbit + more) and a few more. Wandered a bit. Hung out in the middle for It's a Beautiful Day (White Bird was splendid!) and Canned Heat (Goin up the Country, Let's Work Together +more).

There were thousands of people and it looked like a great time was had by all. This was a thousand times more enjoyable than the Bridge Benefit would have been.
Sharks bleed teal.