Author Topic: The Concert Thread  (Read 443428 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: shrimp Louisianne
« Reply #150 on: October 03, 2005, 07:38:09 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"
Quote from: "urth"
I know the Shrimp Louisiana is off the menu but you can still get it if you ask.

Stop the presses! This is the dish Martha craves! I better call them.

I just called, and they said it's available, but they don't cook it in the shell anymore.  Hopefully it will be just as yummy.  I was always too lazy to order it because of the shells anyway!

I was wondering, since you did mention the shells. I've had it once, a few months back while it was still done with shells intact, and while it was good, it was damn messy and a little painful at first, peeling scalding shrimp with bare fingers (it got better once the shrimps cooled off a tad). Hopefully Martha won't miss the suffering one had to endure to earn one's dinner.

Ever ordered the mussels there? The only have them occasionally, but mmm, boy, they're good.
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #151 on: October 03, 2005, 08:39:47 PM »
I know the Shrimp Louisiana is off the menu but you can still get it if you ask.
I just called, and they said it's available, but they don't cook it in the shell anymore.  Hopefully it will be just as yummy.  I was always too lazy to order it because of the shells anyway!
I was wondering, since you did mention the shells. I've had it once, a few months back while it was still done with shells intact, and while it was good, it was damn messy and a little painful at first, peeling scalding shrimp with bare fingers (it got better once the shrimps cooled off a tad). Hopefully Martha won't miss the suffering one had to endure to earn one's dinner.

Ever ordered the mussels there? The only have them occasionally, but mmm, boy, they're good.

Martha is pretty skeptical that they will taste as good without being cooked in the shell, but we'll just have to check it out!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 04, 2005, 09:25:29 AM »

Martha is pretty skeptical that they will taste as good without being cooked in the shell, but we'll just have to check it out!

If I move back to SF next year, that's where I want to go to reunite with all y'alls.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 04, 2005, 09:58:48 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
If I move back to SF next year, that's where I want to go to reunite with all y'alls.

We'd love to have ya back, bub. Preferably in time to watch Barry (Z) pitch against Barry (B) in Bay Bridge Series '06!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #154 on: October 04, 2005, 11:04:20 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
So I got a message from the princess who was in GG park for Mostly Strictly Bluegrass to see Dolly Parton.  We expect a complete report, girlfriend.

well, geoff covered most of the set. it was fantastic! i hyperventilated throughout most of "9 to 5." my friends and i were crying so much we could hardly see dolly. i had to turn away from the stage at some point because it was all too beautiful, and i thought i was going to explode. at one point, a friend turned to me, and screamed, "i'm one of those tokyo bitches at a beatles concert!" we'd spent three hours staking out the perfect seats, so we were about 20 feet from the stage. we were surrounded by beautiful lesbians from texas who fed us beer and pot brownies. i had to pee during "little sparrow," but i couldn't bear to leave dolly. so i found a nearby tree, and asked some women to cover me. such nice people in the park that day.

we also saw split lip rayfield (i call them the soundgarden of bluegrass), and the austin lounge lizards. great shows! also saw hazel dickens, which also made me cry. she is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but back to dolly - she was wearing a blue rhinestone dress. she played the dulcimer, and tried to play the banjo, but, as geoff mentioned, there were serious sound issues. i called my mother three times from the show, but she wasn't home, so i just let the machine record the show for her. she called back as we were leaving (to go see a rather downer emmylou). she was crying, too.

dolly parton is sent straight from heaven to love us all.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #155 on: October 04, 2005, 11:18:07 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
i had to pee during "little sparrow," but i couldn't bear to leave dolly. so i found a nearby tree, and asked some women to cover me. such nice people in the park that day.

Sounds like the true definition of a "Dolly Parton break"  :wink:

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #156 on: October 04, 2005, 11:19:19 AM »
i had to pee during "little sparrow," but i couldn't bear to leave dolly. so i found a nearby tree, and asked some women to cover me. such nice people in the park that day.

Sounds like the true definition of a "Dolly Parton break"  :wink:

ha! yeah, definitely no balls.

oh - i'll be at the chet thing, too.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Emmy Lou
« Reply #157 on: October 04, 2005, 12:14:52 PM »
we were leaving (to go see a rather downer emmylou)

Funny, I normally like Emmy Lou, but yes, the tempo was all pretty mournfully slow.  The guitar player had his huge vintage Fender tone thing going on, but we left after a few numbers for some pot stickers, prawns with lobster sauce, and 4 seasons lamb from Yet Wah.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #158 on: October 04, 2005, 01:20:00 PM »
oh, i forgot to mention - when dolly sang, "i will always love you," she wished me "joy," and my friend standing next to me "happiness." more crying commenced.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
I wish
« Reply #159 on: October 04, 2005, 01:39:15 PM »
oh, i forgot to mention - when dolly sang, "i will always love you," she wished me "joy," and my friend standing next to me "happiness." more crying commenced.

I wish I had been able to stay long enough to hear that.  One of my all-time favorite songs.  It irritates me to have people refer to it as a Whitney Houston song almost as much as when people call "Black Magic Woman" a Santana song!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: Chet Helms party
« Reply #160 on: October 05, 2005, 09:22:03 PM »
Here's the scoop on the Chet Helms shindig:

FREE!
A Chet Helms Tribal Stomp
Family Dog
Sunday October 30th, 2005
Speedway Meadows, Golden Gate Park
10:00am to 5:30pm
Free

Bands: Nick Gravenites, Harvey Mandel, Taj Mahal, Dan Hicks and the Hot Licks, The Charlatans, Terry Haggerty and James Preston (Sons of Champlin), Zero II, Squid B. Vicious, Paul Kantner (Jefferson Airplane, Starship), Barry Melton (Country Joe and the Fish) Blue Cheer, (Dickie Peterson, Leigh Stephens), Jorge Santana, George Michalski, Greg Errico (Sly and the Family Stone), Quicksilver Gold, Canned Heat, Narada Michael Walden, Natural Act (Hal Wagenet and Hitchell Holman), Jeff Blackburn, Howard Wales, Richi Ray, (Freedom Highway), Ray Manzarek (The Doors), Vince Welnick, (TheTubes and Grateful Dead), Prairie Prince (Tubes), David Denny (Steve Miller), Peter Kaukonen, Iron Butterfly, Sammy Hagar, Herman Eberitzsch (Lee Oskar ,War), Ross Valory (Journey), Ace of Cups, War, Judge Murphy, Stephen Gaskin, David Freiberg (Quicksilver and Starship) Country Joe McDonald (Country Joe and The Fish) Greg Douglass (Steve Miller) Pete Sears (Rod Stewart, Hot Tuna), Bruce Latimer, David and Linda Laflamme (It's A Beautiful Day), Rowan Brothers, Lydia Pense, Annie Samson, Wavy Gravy.

Chet Helms was one of the founding fathers of the psychedelic movement from the 1960's. As promoter for the "Family Dog", Chet developed the concept of the modern rock concert and was one of the founding fathers of the 1960's peace movement that swept the nation and made waves around the world. Chet was also the catalyst that brought together Janis Joplin with Big Brother and the Holding Company, which helped shape the San Francisco sound. Without Chet Helms, as many have said, there would be no Grateful Dead, no Jefferson Airplane, no Big Brother and the list goes on and on. He promoted other acts like the Charlatans, the Great Society, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Peter Tosh, The Clash and countless others. Chet Helms continued promoting pivotal concerts through four decades. In the 60's at the Avalon Ballroom, Family Dog at the Beach, S.F. Golden Gate Park, Denver Dog, and Crystal Ballroom in Portland.

this may be primarily of interest to Gaz, but the living SF music history pix are pretty cool.  First, here's a link to some photos:

http://vcpractice.com/chet/
<snip>

It appears we have not yet heard the last of Chet Helms. From Leah Garchik's column, today's fishwrap:

P.S.: That Chet Helms memorial/fundraiser at the Great American Musical Hall wasn't the last of it. An all-day Chet Helms Tribal Stomp, produced by Family Dog on Oct. 30 at Speedway Meadows in Golden Gate Park, will feature 7 1/2 hours of free live rock 'n' roll.

That sounds like it has a lot more promise than the Bridge show (not to mention it's a mere 15-20 blocks from my casa). The mind boggles at the psychedelic possibilities. Whaddaya think? Club gathering in the park?

I'm putting this on my calendar. Forget the Bridge.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 06, 2005, 08:57:03 AM »
Here's the scoop on the Chet Helms shindig:

FREE!
A Chet Helms Tribal Stomp
Family Dog
Sunday October 30th, 2005
Speedway Meadows, Golden Gate Park
10:00am to 5:30pm
Free

That sounds like it has a lot more promise than the Bridge show (not to mention it's a mere 15-20 blocks from my casa). The mind boggles at the psychedelic possibilities. Whaddaya think? Club gathering in the park?

on the same weekend, also in GGPark: the "wonders of cannabis" festival, in the County Fair Building, 9th & Lincoln.

http://www.wondersofcannabis.com

"I don't sniff de coke but I smoke de sensamilla"

Anonymous

« Reply #162 on: October 06, 2005, 03:12:02 PM »
"I don't sniff de coke but I smoke de sensamilla"

If yr smokin sensamilla yr gonna want a LOT more cheese

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #163 on: October 11, 2005, 11:27:09 AM »
Doing some Chico area research, found Arlo:

Arlo Guthrie
Date(s): 10/29/2005 - 10/29/2005
Time: 7:30pm
Contact Phone: 898-6333
Chico Performance presents, Alice`s Restaruant 40th Anniversary Massacree Tour, Arlo Guthrie, son Abe, and Gordon Titcomb hit the stage at Laxson Auditoruim. For tickets and information contact the University Box Office.
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #164 on: October 11, 2005, 05:16:13 PM »
Anyone score tix for the Green Day show at the Warfield on Thursday? I'm coming out of semi-retirement to usher this one. They're supposed to be performing the American Idiot "opera" in its entirety.
Let's get right to it.