Author Topic: The Concert Thread  (Read 443442 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #120 on: August 20, 2005, 03:43:05 PM »
Geoff, great post.  The only tambourine player I've ever seen who made me sit up and take note of the instrument was Jack Ashford of the Funk Brothers.  That snake-hiss at the beginning of Marvin Gaye's "Grapevine" was his invention, and probably the best example of his artistry with the shaker.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #121 on: September 13, 2005, 02:01:29 PM »
Trip to London, anyone?  Just heard a cmml on CG -- they're doing "Jeff Wayne's 'War of the Worlds'" live at Royal Albert Hall in April "for the first time ever", according to the blurb. Unfortunately the phone rang and I don't know if they specified any names of individual artists, so stay tuned.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #122 on: September 13, 2005, 02:47:43 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Trip to London, anyone?  Just heard a cmml on CG -- they're doing "Jeff Wayne's 'War of the Worlds'" live at Royal Albert Hall in April "for the first time ever", according to the blurb. Unfortunately the phone rang and I don't know if they specified any names of individual artists, so stay tuned.

Actually Sarah & I were thinking about going back to the UK in late April/early May next year. Keep your ears open for specific dates. Of course I might end up going to the show alone, unless I can sell her on the sci-fi angle. She's not big on prog rock.
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
wanker heaven?
« Reply #123 on: September 13, 2005, 03:02:39 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
Actually Sarah & I were thinking about going back to the UK in late April/early May next year. Keep your ears open for specific dates. Of course I might end up going to the show alone, unless I can sell her on the sci-fi angle. She's not big on prog rock.

I'd love to go to the UK someday, but I think I'll forego any prog rockin' while there!   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #124 on: September 13, 2005, 03:15:23 PM »

per ticketmaster UK, it's April 18th.

"Jeff Wayne conducting the Black Smoke Band and the 48-piece ULLAdubULLA Strings featuring Special Guest Justin Hayward and, in sight and sound, Richard Burton as The Journalist."

top tix are 50 pounds which is (I think) roughly 85 bucks.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #125 on: September 13, 2005, 04:14:55 PM »

per ticketmaster UK, it's April 18th.

"Jeff Wayne conducting the Black Smoke Band and the 48-piece ULLAdubULLA Strings featuring Special Guest Justin Hayward and, in sight and sound, Richard Burton as The Journalist."

top tix are 50 pounds which is (I think) roughly 85 bucks.

Hmmm, that's a little earlier than we were probably going to go. But if they could promise I'd see Richard Burton IN THE FLESH rather than just "in sight and sound" (a new euphemism for "on a video screen"?) I'd be willing to move our trip up.

But since Burton's been dead for 20+ years, I don't think that's gonna happen.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #126 on: September 13, 2005, 08:38:43 PM »
Hmmm, that's a little earlier than we were probably going to go. But if they could promise I'd see Richard Burton IN THE FLESH rather than just "in sight and sound" (a new euphemism for "on a video screen"?) I'd be willing to move our trip up.

But since Burton's been dead for 20+ years, I don't think that's gonna happen.

HA!  I'm thinking that since the Brits were way ahead of the curve on making "promotional films" for songs (later to be known as videos), there may be some filmed pieces for that pre-MTV album that Americans have never seen. And since Mr Burton never turned down a paycheck (alimony & booze, you know), he might've been in them. But no, I wouldn't change my travel dates just for that. On the other hand, why not get Jeremy Irons or Ewan McGregor or somebody to do it live?

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #127 on: September 13, 2005, 10:34:23 PM »
London in the spring sounds wonderful, but I won't be there. I REGRET not going months ago for the Cream reunion. In light of that, the Cream shows are being released Oct. 4 on DVD and CD. I'm ordering them now. Maybe I can host a "sight and sound" party in October/November.

I had a concert filled weekend. Seemed like a lot of techno/pop/rock. Garbage at the Warfield Saturday. Good show. Good vocals, good guitar. An LA band called Start (something like that) opened and was good as well.

Sunday took me to Shoreline for Oasis, Jet and Kasabian. Third time I've seen Jet and first for Kasabian and Oasis. I have heard a few Oasis songs but was really surprised at the turnout they had. Attendance was about 1/2 -3/4 full pre-Oasis and then totally sold out. Lots of Asains and Europeans at the show. Oasis was OK but I don't think I fully "get" them.
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Bridge lineup
« Reply #128 on: September 21, 2005, 07:53:48 PM »
From a friend who should know, here's the lineup for this year's Bridge concert:

C,S,N & Y
Dave Matthews
Norah Jones
Emmylou Harris
Jerry Lee Lewis
Good Charlotte
Bright Eyes
Los Lobos

Outside of the Killer, looks like kind of a snoozer of a lineup, and I like Los Lobos. But between Dave Matthews, Norah Jones, and CSNY, they should do a decent gate. Taking a pass for another year, I think. (Dates are Oct 29-30, I think.)
Let's get right to it.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: The Bridge lineup
« Reply #129 on: September 21, 2005, 08:52:37 PM »
lineup for this year's Bridge concert:

C,S,N & Y
Dave Matthews
Norah Jones
Emmylou Harris
Jerry Lee Lewis
Good Charlotte
Bright Eyes
Los Lobos

Darn but thanks for the info. Nothing on their site. I check daily. I try and go every year without regard to the talent. It's a fundraiser for a good cause. All I care to see this year is Neil, CSN, and Emmylou. I know I have heard Good Charlotte but nothing memorable. Norah has a beautiful voice but does nothing for me. Maybe 200 section will suffice for this and one day only.
Last year was the BEST ever for me. Tony Bennett and Paul and Neil. It was just fab.
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Chet Helms party
« Reply #130 on: September 22, 2005, 08:09:08 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"
this may be primarily of interest to Gaz, but the living SF music history pix are pretty cool.  First, here's a link to some photos:

http://vcpractice.com/chet/
<snip>

It appears we have not yet heard the last of Chet Helms. From Leah Garchik's column, today's fishwrap:

P.S.: That Chet Helms memorial/fundraiser at the Great American Musical Hall wasn't the last of it. An all-day Chet Helms Tribal Stomp, produced by Family Dog on Oct. 30 at Speedway Meadows in Golden Gate Park, will feature 7 1/2 hours of free live rock 'n' roll.

That sounds like it has a lot more promise than the Bridge show (not to mention it's a mere 15-20 blocks from my casa). The mind boggles at the psychedelic possibilities. Whaddaya think? Club gathering in the park?
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: Chet Helms party
« Reply #131 on: September 22, 2005, 11:16:19 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"
this may be primarily of interest to Gaz, but the living SF music history pix are pretty cool.  First, here's a link to some photos:

http://vcpractice.com/chet/
It appears we have not yet heard the last of Chet Helms. From Leah Garchik's column, today's fishwrap:
P.S.: That Chet Helms memorial/fundraiser at the Great American Musical Hall wasn't the last of it. An all-day Chet Helms Tribal Stomp, produced by Family Dog on Oct. 30 at Speedway Meadows in Golden Gate Park, will feature 7 1/2 hours of free live rock 'n' roll.
That sounds like it has a lot more promise than the Bridge show (not to mention it's a mere 15-20 blocks from my casa). The mind boggles at the psychedelic possibilities. Whaddaya think? Club gathering in the park?

Plus, it's Grace Slick's birthday!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Bromberg at the Fillmore
« Reply #132 on: September 27, 2005, 12:07:22 AM »
I'll make this quick as I need to get to bed. So last night I went to see David Bromberg and his quartet play the Fillmore. Fine show, Bromberg is in much better voice than he was 12+ years back when he went into retirement. At one point in the show, the rest of the band left the stage, leaving DB and guitar to play a couple of tunes solo.

After the first one, he says to the audience, "I was a little worried about you at first, but I think this will work. I'm gonna come down there," and points to a spot in front of the stage.  He comes down and starts playing a song sans audio reinforcement. No mics, no amp, zip. So about two-thirds of the way thru the song, all of a sudden, three voices (good ones, two female & one male) answer his last line from the middle of the hall. Surprised the hell out of everyone. Great finish to the song (the title of which I'm forgetting), after which DB motions for them to join him on stage.

The guy turned out to be his mandolin player, Mitch Corbin, who I didn't recognize in the dark halfway across the room. One of the women was Carol something-or-other, never heard of her. And the third woman?

Linda Ronstadt.

A major WTF??? moment.

She's kinda plump these days, dressed conservatively, but smiling all the while and still has a helluva set of pipes. The singers did one more song with DB and band, and brought down the house.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Bromberg at the Fillmore
« Reply #133 on: September 27, 2005, 07:35:45 AM »
And the third woman?

Linda Ronstadt.

A major WTF??? moment.

iirc, they go way back together.  And a Bromberg crowd's a lot friendlier than a Vegas one.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #134 on: September 27, 2005, 12:48:21 PM »

per ticketmaster UK, it's April 18th.top tix are 50 pounds which is (I think) roughly 85 bucks.

Just announced: second show (by popular demand, natch) on April 25th.