Author Topic: courtesy of Ken Jennings  (Read 85119 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: courtesy of Ken Jennings
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2008, 10:33:03 AM »
Here's another good trivia question from KJ's weekly 7-question quiz:

4.  What's the only single in the history of the Billboard Top Ten to share its name with a book of the Bible?  ("Theme from Exodus" is NOT a
 biblical book.)

Well it'd have to be "Daniel" I guess.  But there's an album named after 3 books of  the bible -- name that.

Lyle Lovett: Joshua Judges Ruth

DING DING DING!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 09:36:19 AM »
Here's another one from KJ:

What unusual distinction is shared by these songs?  "The Battle of New Orleans" by Johnny Horton, "Can It Be All So Simple" by Wu-Tang, "Fade Away and Radiate" by Blondie, "Hotel California" by the Eagles, "Let There Be Rock" by AC/DC, "Love Potion No. 9" by the Clovers, "Mustang Sally" by Wilson Pickett, and "Night Moves" by Bob Seger.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 09:47:07 AM »

What unusual distinction is shared by these songs?  "The Battle of New Orleans" by Johnny Horton, "Can It Be All So Simple" by Wu-Tang, "Fade Away and Radiate" by Blondie, "Hotel California" by the Eagles, "Let There Be Rock" by AC/DC, "Love Potion No. 9" by the Clovers, "Mustang Sally" by Wilson Pickett, and "Night Moves" by Bob Seger.

I can only give this the Cliff Clavin response: They're all songs that have never been in my kitchen.  (My computer, and thus my iTunes, is in the kitchen.)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 11:53:59 AM »

I can only give this the Cliff Clavin response: They're all songs that have never been in my kitchen.  (My computer, and thus my iTunes, is in the kitchen.)

Is this a TANC response, or did you in fact hear Ginger play a clip of that Jeopardy episode today?

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 12:59:05 PM »

Is this a TANC response, or did you in fact hear Ginger play a clip of that Jeopardy episode today?

ooo! ooo! they all mention years in the lyrics.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2008, 01:45:44 PM »
a ha!

Thanks Mike!

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2008, 08:57:19 AM »

TANC.

And Mike - nice catch!  I doubt I would ever have come up with that one without more examples.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2008, 11:57:14 AM »
Here are two more from KJ, one from last week & one from this week:

What legendary label-mate wrote Mary Wells's "My Guy" and the Temptations' "My Girl"?

What rock act is a duo made up two men, one named Russell, the other surnamed Russell?

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2008, 12:12:25 PM »
Here are two more from KJ, one from last week & one from this week:

What legendary label-mate wrote Mary Wells's "My Guy" and the Temptations' "My Girl"?

What rock act is a duo made up two men, one named Russell, the other surnamed Russell?

well the first is Smokey Robinson, everybody knows that one.  the second I'll have to think about.

TANC: the oldies show on KPOO last nite was doing a & b sides, and played one of my fave Smokey lyrics, "The Love I Saw in you Was Just a Mirage" -- the flip side of which was "Come Spy With Me", the theme from a long-forgotten '60s B-movie Bond knockoff.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2008, 09:59:50 PM »

"Rock" is misleading.  The answer is Air Supply: Graham Russell and Russell Hitchcock.  If they had married, the singer could be Russell Russell!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2008, 10:49:40 AM »
Ha!  Good answer, and thanks for the link.  Hadn't seen that hysterical clip before.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2008, 11:05:31 AM »
Ha!  Good answer, and thanks for the link.  Hadn't seen that hysterical clip before.

indeed, very funny -- and more than a touch reminiscent of Flight of the Conchords

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2008, 08:40:08 AM »
From today's Tuesday Trivia:

7.  What unusual distinction is shared by these songs?  "The Boy Is Mine," "Chim Chim Cher-ee," "Could It Be I'm Falling in Love," "Embraceable You," "Happy Birthday to You," "Hey Little Cobra," "Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing," and "Summer in the City."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2008, 03:12:01 PM »
From today's Tuesday Trivia:

7.  What unusual distinction is shared by these songs?  "The Boy Is Mine," "Chim Chim Cher-ee," "Could It Be I'm Falling in Love," "Embraceable You," "Happy Birthday to You," "Hey Little Cobra," "Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing," and "Summer in the City."

ah, maybe the bell?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2008, 12:56:13 PM »
Bet Ken Jennings will be spending time at PopJax.com:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/03/14/DDM1VIL9G.DTL