Author Topic: courtesy of Ken Jennings  (Read 85674 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: courtesy of Ken Jennings
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2008, 04:25:48 PM »
According to the Chart info on AMG, "Something" peaked at #3, while "Come Together" is a #1.  There is a different Harrison composition that was the B-side of a better known hit which *is* listed as a #1.  But I have found inconsistencies in the Billboard info on AMG before & it wouldn't surprise me if Mike & Gaz are right & they are wrong.

Based on the above, I'm thinking "For You Blue", or whatever Harrison tune was the flip of "Long & Winding Road".

Ding ding ding (at least according to AMG).  We'll see what KJ says next Tuesday.

Mr. Jennings went with "Something"
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2008, 12:22:00 PM »
7.  What unusual distinction is shared by these rock albums? Am I Not Your Girl by Sinead O'Connor, Autoamerican by Blondie, Blue Valentine by Tom Waits, Congregation by the Afghan Whigs, I Am Gloria Gaynor, It's A Shame About Ray by the Lemonheads, With The Beatles, and A Wizard, A True Star by Todd Rundgren..

--Carlos Santana, 2010

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2008, 03:29:42 PM »
7.  What unusual distinction is shared by these rock albums? Am I Not Your Girl by Sinead O'Connor, Autoamerican by Blondie, Blue Valentine by Tom Waits, Congregation by the Afghan Whigs, I Am Gloria Gaynor, It's A Shame About Ray by the Lemonheads, With The Beatles, and A Wizard, A True Star by Todd Rundgren..

frank sinatra songs?
i have no idea, but since my trip to senegal, "am i not your girl" has been featured prominently in my dreams. video to follow, i hope.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2008, 04:51:20 PM »

frank sinatra songs?
i have no idea, but since my trip to senegal, "am i not your girl" has been featured prominently in my dreams. video to follow, i hope.

I suppose they all feature cover songs of some sort...the Lemonheads cover "Mrs. Robinson" and With The Beatles features Chuck Berry's "Roll Over Beethoven".   Am I Not Your Girl is a complete album of covers, which is not at all uncommon, so the link surely must be more specific than that.  No?

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2008, 06:01:13 PM »

frank sinatra songs?

I suppose they all feature cover songs of some sort...the Lemonheads cover "Mrs. Robinson" and With The Beatles features Chuck Berry's "Roll Over Beethoven".   Am I Not Your Girl is a complete album of covers, which is not at all uncommon, so the link surely must be more specific than that.  No?

Yes! You're on right track with the covers, but it's a certain type of cover that I think he's after. All of those albums include songs that were in Broadway musicals:

Blondie--Follow Me (Lerner & Loewe; Camelot)
Tom Waits--Somewhere (Bernstein, Sondheim; West Side Story)
Afghan Whigs--The Temple (Lloyd-Webber, Rice; Jesus Christ Superstar)
Lemonheads--Frank Mills (Macdermot, Rado, Ragni;Hair)
Beatles--Till There Was You (Meredith Willson; The Music Man)
Sinead O'Connor--Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered (Rodgers & Hart; Pal Joey) or Don't Cry for Me Argentina (Lloyd-Webber, Rice; Evita)
Todd Rundgren--Never Never Land (Comden, Green, Styne; Peter Pan)

I know this last album pretty well, and that was the only cover I could think of on it, which clued me in to what the connection was. Jennings also could have gone with Todd's cover of Something's Coming from Another Live, also from West Side Story.

There must be one on the Gloria Gaynor album but I couldn't pick it out in my research, so one of y'all can get extra Frink points if you can come up with that one.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 07:34:59 PM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2008, 08:54:54 PM »
There must be one on the Gloria Gaynor album but I couldn't pick it out in my research, so one of y'all can get extra Frink points if you can come up with that one.

I Am Gloria Gaynor features her disco cover of "I Am What I Am" from the B'way musical La Cage Aux Folles.

"you have one life
and there's no return and no deposit
one life
so it's time to open up yo' closet..."
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 08:57:04 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2008, 06:31:08 PM »

frank sinatra songs?

Yes! You're on right track with the covers, but it's a certain type of cover that I think he's after. All of those albums include songs that were in Broadway musicals:

Blondie--Follow Me (Lerner & Loewe; Camelot)
Tom Waits--Somewhere (Bernstein, Sondheim; West Side Story)
Afghan Whigs--The Temple (Lloyd-Webber, Rice; Jesus Christ Superstar)
Lemonheads--Frank Mills (Macdermot, Rado, Ragni;Hair)
Beatles--Till There Was You (Meredith Willson; The Music Man)
Sinead O'Connor--Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered (Rodgers & Hart; Pal Joey) or Don't Cry for Me Argentina (Lloyd-Webber, Rice; Evita)
Todd Rundgren--Never Never Land (Comden, Green, Styne; Peter Pan)

I know this last album pretty well, and that was the only cover I could think of on it, which clued me in to what the connection was. Jennings also could have gone with Todd's cover of Something's Coming from Another Live, also from West Side Story.

Kudos!  That's a lot more brain power you used there than I had going.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2008, 11:18:22 AM »
KJ confirms the correctness of your answer.

Even more proof that KJ is our kind a folks...check out his explanantion of the answer to last week's question #4:

4.  In 1986, who produced a short-lived MTV series called Fifteen Minutes

Yes, Andy Warhol used to be on MTV.  On MTV, everyone will be famous for 15 minutes, except Matt Pinfield, who will be famous for 120 minutes.

fwiw, I still have my 120 Minutes double CD.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2008, 11:25:00 AM »

Even more proof that KJ is our kind a folks...check out his explanantion of the answer to last week's question #4:

Yes, Andy Warhol used to be on MTV.  On MTV, everyone will be famous for 15 minutes, except Matt Pinfield, who will be famous for 120 minutes.

FYI, Matt Pinfield is the new morning guy at NYC's WRXP (the new Triple-A station).

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2008, 08:18:53 PM »

FYI, Matt Pinfield is the new morning guy at NYC's WRXP (the new Triple-A station).
I still associate 120 Minutes with Dave (pronounced "Dive") Kendall.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 09:28:42 AM by Gazoo »
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2008, 09:27:19 AM »
#7 - What unusual distinction is shared by, as far as I can tell, fewer than 20 people, including George Custer, Bette Davis, St. Dominic, Duke Ellington, William Halsey, Henry VIII, Douglas Macarthur, and Mozart?

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2008, 09:31:37 AM »
#7 - What unusual distinction is shared by, as far as I can tell, fewer than 20 people, including George Custer, Bette Davis, St. Dominic, Duke Ellington, William Halsey, Henry VIII, Douglas Macarthur, and Mozart?

Names appearing in #1 hits:

Please Mr. Custer
Bette Davis Eyes
Dominique-a-nic-a-nic-a
Sir Duke
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
I'm Henry VIII, I Am
MacArthur's Park
Rock Me Amadeus
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2008, 09:43:36 AM »

Please Mr. Custer
Bette Davis Eyes
Dominique-a-nic-a-nic-a
Sir Duke
I'm Henry VIII, I Am
MacArthur's Park
Rock Me Amadeus

I think we have a winner!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2008, 10:33:23 AM »

Please Mr. Custer
Bette Davis Eyes
Dominique-a-nic-a-nic-a
Sir Duke
I'm Henry VIII, I Am
MacArthur's Park
Rock Me Amadeus

Yep.  In his answer explanation KJ mentioned a couple other possibilities, and made a slight error in saying that "Hey Jude" was about Julian Lennon, when it's actually about his mom.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2008, 10:38:03 AM »

Please Mr. Custer
Bette Davis Eyes
Dominique-a-nic-a-nic-a
Sir Duke
I'm Henry VIII, I Am
MacArthur's Park
Rock Me Amadeus

Yep.  In his answer explanation KJ mentioned a couple other possibilities, and made a slight error in saying that "Hey Jude" was about Julian Lennon, when it's actually about his mom.

I was under the impression that Hey Jude was indeed about--or at least addressed--Julian, not Cynthia Lennon.
Let's get right to it.