Author Topic: courtesy of Ken Jennings  (Read 85114 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
courtesy of Ken Jennings
« on: October 02, 2007, 10:58:37 AM »
I subscribe to the weekly Ken Jenning email trivia contest, and each week the 7th question is a real hard associative question.  Help me out with this one, I haven't cracked it yet.

7.  What unusual distinction is shared by these songs?  "American Woman" by the Guess Who, "Glamorous" by Fergie, "Hollaback Girl" by Gwen Stefani, "I'm Back" by Eminem, "I'm Henery VIII I Am" by Herman's Hermits, "Lola" by the Kinks, "Safety Dance" by Men Without Hats, and "Turn On Me" by the Shins.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: courtesy of Ken Jennings
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 06:11:26 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"
I subscribe to the weekly Ken Jenning email trivia contest, and each week the 7th question is a real hard associative question.  Help me out with this one, I haven't cracked it yet.

7.  What unusual distinction is shared by these songs?  "American Woman" by the Guess Who, "Glamorous" by Fergie, "Hollaback Girl" by Gwen Stefani, "I'm Back" by Eminem, "I'm Henery VIII I Am" by Herman's Hermits, "Lola" by the Kinks, "Safety Dance" by Men Without Hats, and "Turn On Me" by the Shins.

Would it help you figure it out if I added Hall & Oates' "Method of Modern Love" to the list?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 10:09:46 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

Would it help you figure it out if I added Hall & Oates' "Method of Modern Love" to the list?

Apparently not.   :roll:

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 06:36:18 AM »

How about the Bay City Rollers' "Saturday Night"?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 07:50:39 AM »

Now I got it... I think.  But I don't remember any spelling in "American Woman".
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 07:52:22 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

Now I got it... I think.  But I don't remember any spelling in "American Woman".

The single edit usually omits it, but I've heard an extended version (album track?) that has a spellout in the intro.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 07:54:44 AM »

The single edit usually omits it, but I've heard an extended version (album track?) that has a spellout in the intro.

Oops, you're right -- but that's fairly obscure compared to either the Rollers or H&O hits.  Oh those wacky Mormons, what will they think of next?

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
courtesy of Ken Jennings
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 09:24:41 AM »
There's spelling in "Henry the VIII I Am?"  I can't recall any, but it's difficult to remember very much of the song.  Anyway, considering I only had American Woman and Lola to go on (the rest of the songs I do not know at all -- well Safety Dance, but I don't remember spelling in it, either), I didn't feel my spelling guess was very strong.

Also, if it stumped Mark, I didn't think it could be that obvious. :wink:
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
courtesy of Ken Jennings
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 09:32:19 AM »
Quote from: "Rod"
There's spelling in "Henry the VIII I Am?"  I can't recall any, but it's difficult to remember very much of the song.  Anyway, considering I only had American Woman and Lola to go on (the rest of the songs I do not know at all -- well Safety Dance, but I don't remember spelling in it, either), I didn't feel my spelling guess was very strong.

H! E! N-R-Y!

S-S-S-S... A-A-A-A... F-F-F-F-... T-T-T-T...

But yeah, I don't know the Fergie or Eminem, and I find "Hollaback" one of THE most annoying records of the decade, so I've blocked it from my mind.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 10:30:39 AM »

I got it instantly with the second hint.  And began saying "D'Oh!" a lot.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
courtesy of Ken Jennings
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 10:32:16 AM »

Now that would be interesting, Safty Dance!

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
courtesy of Ken Jennings
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 10:38:53 AM »

Now that would be interesting, Safty Dance!

S-M-A-R-T-A-S-S!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 10:00:58 AM »
Here's another good trivia question from KJ's weekly 7-question quiz:

4.  What's the only single in the history of the Billboard Top Ten to share its name with a book of the Bible?  ("Theme from Exodus" is NOT a
 biblical book.)

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 10:30:04 AM »

4.  What's the only single in the history of the Billboard Top Ten to share its name with a book of the Bible?  ("Theme from Exodus" is NOT a
 biblical book.)

Well it'd have to be "Daniel" I guess.  But there's an album named after 3 books of  the bible -- name that.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 10:31:22 AM »

biblical book.)

Well it'd have to be "Daniel" I guess.  But there's an album named after 3 books of  the bible -- name that.

Lyle Lovett: Joshua Judges Ruth

--Carlos Santana, 2010