Author Topic: courtesy of Ken Jennings  (Read 85743 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: courtesy of Ken Jennings
« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2008, 02:25:48 PM »
Here's the latest from everyone's favorite Jeopardy champ:

7.  What unusual distinction is shared by all these musicians?  Sheryl Crow, Art Garfunkel, Bryan Ferry, Roberta Flack, Ezra Koenig, Kris Kristofferson, Gene Simmons, Sting.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2008, 02:32:32 PM »

7.  What unusual distinction is shared by all these musicians?  Sheryl Crow, Art Garfunkel, Bryan Ferry, Roberta Flack, Ezra Koenig, Kris Kristofferson, Gene Simmons, Sting.

They've all had sex with Lance Armstrong and Eric Clapton? Oh, wait that was just Sheryl 'Ho.

ETA: as mentioned the other day, Ferry was a teacher... I know Flack and Sting were too. I shudder at the thought of Gene Simmons in a classroom, but maybe that's it?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 02:38:07 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2008, 09:52:02 PM »

They've all had sex with Lance Armstrong and Eric Clapton? Oh, wait that was just Sheryl 'Ho.

ETA: as mentioned the other day, Ferry was a teacher... I know Flack and Sting were too. I shudder at the thought of Gene Simmons in a classroom, but maybe that's it?

I think you're right--I know Sheryl Crow taught, and I think Gene Simmons may have too. Even scarier than him, Robert Pollard (Guided By Voices) used to teach as well--for a number of years after his band was going even. Can't imagine that drunkard guiding the minds of our youth, but there you go.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 07, 2008, 10:43:34 PM »

I think you're right--I know Sheryl Crow taught, and I think Gene Simmons may have too. Even scarier than him, Robert Pollard (Guided By Voices) used to teach as well--for a number of years after his band was going even. Can't imagine that drunkard guiding the minds of our youth, but there you go.

D'Oh!!!!!

That could read: Mark Schroeder, Sheryl Crow, Art Garfunkel, Bryan Ferry, Roberta Flack, Ezra Koenig, Kris Kristofferson, Gene Simmons, Sting.

I'm a former teacher, too!  (some day Geoff will be as well...unless he departs this earthly coil directly from the classroom)

I knew that about SC, BF, KK & Gordon-Sumner-aka-Sting. 

Kris Kristofferson's bio is a must read: he graduated Phi Beta Kappa, won a Rhodes scholarship & taught at West Point(!)

--Carlos Santana, 2010

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2008, 10:05:05 PM »
I'm a former teacher, too!  (some day Geoff will be as well...unless he departs this earthly coil directly from the classroom)
well, since I came to teaching so late, and my retirement sucks, that just might be the way!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 09, 2008, 11:31:13 PM »

Kris Kristofferson's bio is a must read: he graduated Phi Beta Kappa, won a Rhodes scholarship & taught at West Point(!)

And he's a graduate of San Mateo High School, in the same class as my uncle.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 23, 2008, 12:28:14 PM »
One I knew & one I didn't:

A) What unusual distinction do all of these albums share: Miles Davis's Star People, Bob Dylan's Self Portrait, Eminem's The Re-Up, The Flaming Lips' Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, Joni Mitchell's Court and Spark, Nirvana's Incesticide, The Stone Roses' The Stone Roses, The Who The Who by Numbers?

B) Who are the only two artists of the same first name ever to have consecutive #1 Billboard hits?  Hint: each had gone solo after a lengthy career in a major band.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 23, 2008, 12:33:11 PM »

A) What unusual distinction do all of these albums share: Miles Davis's Star People, Bob Dylan's Self Portrait, Eminem's The Re-Up, The Flaming Lips' Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, Joni Mitchell's Court and Spark, Nirvana's Incesticide, The Stone Roses' The Stone Roses, The Who The Who by Numbers?

B) Who are the only two artists of the same first name ever to have consecutive #1 Billboard hits?  Hint: each had gone solo after a lengthy career in a major band.

I'm guessing A) is "they all have artwork on the cover done by one of the performers"?  B) I'm still working on.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 23, 2008, 02:31:43 PM »

I'm guessing A) is "they all have artwork on the cover done by one of the performers"?  B) I'm still working on.

I think you're right on A.  I know it's true of the last 4 in the list.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 23, 2008, 06:10:14 PM »

eric clapton/carmen/martin?
or
john fogerty/waite?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 23, 2008, 07:21:33 PM »

or
john fogerty/waite?

OMG! it's a pair of, er, Peters!  Cetera (ex-Chicago) and Gabriel (Ex-Genesis). "Sledgehammer" was knocked out of the #1 slot by "Glory of Love" (a HFH if ever there was one) in August of '86.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 23, 2008, 07:46:02 PM »

or
john fogerty/waite?

OMG! it's a pair of, er, Peters!  Cetera (ex-Chicago) and Gabriel (Ex-Genesis). "Sledgehammer" was knocked out of the #1 slot by "Glory of Love" (a HFH if ever there was one) in August of '86.

Well done!  I thought Peter C might be one of them but couldn't come up with Peter G.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 24, 2008, 04:22:52 AM »

or
john fogerty/waite?

ha! that's a fun fact. but, if i remember correctly, sledgehammer had held #1 for a long time, and "glory of love" was from the karate kid (III?) soundtrack, right? talk about a your knight in shining armour.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 24, 2008, 09:43:55 AM »

or
john fogerty/waite?

Nicely done, sir.  I was working on Phils, but couldn't come up with another Phil -- but I had an ex-Genesis conect...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2008, 09:56:04 AM »

or
john fogerty/waite?

Nicely done, sir.  I was working on Phils, but couldn't come up with another Phil -- but I had an ex-Genesis conect...

I exhuasted John, Paul and George first, then thought Michael (Jackson & McDonald) was the ticket -- figured an MJ #1 mighta followed "On My Own", but no.