Author Topic: courtesy of Ken Jennings  (Read 85739 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: courtesy of Ken Jennings
« Reply #90 on: December 02, 2008, 10:56:47 AM »
Another from KJ:

7.  Based on the unusual distinction they all share, name a Beatles song that could be added to this list of pop songs.  "Alive" by Pearl Jam, "Captain Jack" by Billy Joel, "Dancing Queen" by ABBA, "Half a Person" by the Smiths, "Jack and Diane" by John Cougar Mellencamp, "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" by the Band, "Stray Cat Blues" by the Rolling Stones, "Who Do You Love?" by Bo Diddley.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 08, 2008, 10:18:20 AM »
Another from KJ:

7.  Based on the unusual distinction they all share, name a Beatles song that could be added to this list of pop songs.  "Alive" by Pearl Jam, "Captain Jack" by Billy Joel, "Dancing Queen" by ABBA, "Half a Person" by the Smiths, "Jack and Diane" by John Cougar Mellencamp, "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" by the Band, "Stray Cat Blues" by the Rolling Stones, "Who Do You Love?" by Bo Diddley.

i want to say they all begin with a guitar being played by itself, but "dancing queen" doesn't fit in.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 08, 2008, 10:55:21 AM »
Another from KJ:

I think I got it, but I cheated (looked up the lyrics on google).  I'll wait for the official answer to come down...
~CPL593H~

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 08, 2008, 11:22:02 AM »
Another from KJ:

I think I got it, but I cheated (looked up the lyrics on google).  I'll wait for the official answer to come down...

hmmm...so now i'm thinking "little ditty" or "little story"?

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 08, 2008, 11:39:50 AM »
Another from KJ:

i think i've got it now. the answer should be "in my life".

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 08, 2008, 12:16:07 PM »
Another from KJ:

all the songs mentions a specific age..?
~CPL593H~

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 08, 2008, 12:24:31 PM »
Another from KJ:

if that's the case, they might be listed in order: 13 in "alive", 16 in the smiths tune...jack and diane were 17? i can't remember. so the beatles song would mention 21 or 12? oooohhh, i love it when rush sneaks in like that. ;)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 09, 2008, 03:22:29 PM »
Another from KJ:

Yep, that was it.  So either "I Saw Her Standing There" or "When I'm 64" would work.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 30, 2008, 09:57:34 AM »
Sometimes KJ really has his wits about him & this week is one of his best.  So I'm posting the whole email - intro & both this week's questions & last week's answers with his witty comments.

It's the 53rd and final Tuesday of 2009!  Most weekly mass e-mails only give you fifty-two installments a year, but Tuesday Trivia goes the extra mile.  No, really--check a calendar.

The end of 2009 means this is probably my last chance to ask trivia questions about The Love Guru, Joe the Plumber, "I Kissed a Girl," and trucker hats.  I'll try to resist the temptation...

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1.  Orchestras tune up to the sound of an oboe playing what note?

2.  What remarkable win-loss record was shared by both Twins pitcher Terry Felton and the 2008 Detroit Lions?

3.  What word appears in the titles of *both* the Pulitzer-winning plays of author Thornton Wilder?

4.  What scientist's 1859 work most famously supplanted the popular 19th-century theory of Lamarckism?

5.  What TV network uses the new slogan "Chime In"?

6.  Hundreds of thousands of orders have poured in for the Ducati Model 271, a model of what made famous last month by Muntader al-Zaidi?

7.  What unusual distinction is shared by these films?  Face/Off, Mary Poppins, La Ronde, Ronin, Ruggles of Red Gap, The Spanish Prisoner, The Sting, and Strangers on the Train.

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1.  What career does Hermey the Misfit Elf think he'd prefer to toymaking? 
Dentistry!  (Oddly, misfit dentists often wish they were making toys for Santa.)

2.  What movie was adapted from the book "In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash"? 
That Jean Shepherd book inspired many of the anecdotes in A Christmas Story.

3.  What botanist sent a namesake Christmas symbol back to the U.S. in 1828 while serving as the first U.S. minister to Mexico? 
Joel Roberts Poinsett first introduced North America to the flower the Aztecs called "cuetlaxochitl."

4.  What two animals "kept time" for "The Little Drummer Boy"? 
The ox and lamb kept time.  But the lamb, being white, kept clapping on the one and three.

5.  What's the name of the Wookiee holiday analogous to Christmas in the infamous 1978 Star Wars Holiday Special? 
Life Day!  The other day my six-year-old son asked me whose birth we celebrate on Life Day--Darth Vader's?  Thank you, Star Wars, for this early theological confusion.

6.  What was George Washington famously doing on Christmas Day, 1776? 
Crossing the Delaware.  (Ironically, he was Benedict Arnold's "secret Santa"!)

7.  What unusual distinction (at least in their respective fields) did these famous people share with the historical St. Nicholas?  Ansel Adams, Marlon Brando, Copernicus, Albus Dumbledore, Stephen Fry, Charlton Heston, Michelangelo, Robert Mitchum, Thackeray, Owen Wilson. 
All sport (or sported) visibly broken noses.  In St. Nicholas's case, we know this from modern analysis of Santa's skull.  "His ears were like cauliflowers, his nose like a cherry..."
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 10:01:21 AM by mshray »

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 30, 2008, 10:03:35 AM »
It's the 53rd and final Tuesday of 2009!  Most weekly mass e-mails only give you fifty-two installments a year, but Tuesday Trivia goes the extra mile.  No, really--check a calendar.

The end of 2009 means this is probably my last chance to ask trivia questions about The Love Guru, Joe the Plumber, "I Kissed a Girl," and trucker hats.  I'll try to resist the temptation...

Yep, inspired. But he's a year ahead in his intro--not once but twice. At least he's consistent. :)
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 30, 2008, 10:09:15 AM »
Sometimes KJ really has his wits about him & this week is one of his best.  So I'm posting the whole email - intro & both this week's questions & last week's answers with his witty comments.

The end of 2009 means this is probably my last chance to ask trivia questions about The Love Guru, Joe the Plumber, "I Kissed a Girl," and trucker hats. 

Oh, Ken... trucker hats are soooo five years ago.

4.  What two animals "kept time" for "The Little Drummer Boy"? 
The ox and lamb kept time.  But the lamb, being white, kept clapping on the one and three.

Cute joke, but in the original version it was "the ox and ass" who kept time -- it was later changed to "lamb" because some people were offended by the word "ass" and it was impossible to get children's choruses to sing "ass" without laughing (I was a choir boy, I speak from experience).
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 27, 2009, 09:20:02 AM »
I've no idea, but very curious about this one.  Anyone know?

3.  The final actor to play the street urchin Gavroche in Broadway's Les Miserables is now the youngest member of what band?

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 03, 2009, 09:27:33 AM »
I've no idea, but very curious about this one.  Anyone know?

3.  The final actor to play the street urchin Gavroche in Broadway's Les Miserables is now the youngest member of what band?

Interestingly, this turns out to be Nick Jonas, the youngest of the Jonas Brothers. 

I guess that disproves the theory that they had no talent until being conjured up out of some marketing guy's imagination.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 11, 2009, 03:47:04 PM »
Here's another musical question 7 from KJ.

What unusual distinction is shared by these songs?  "Aeroplane" by Red Hot Chili Peppers, "Another Brick in the Wall" by Pink Floyd, "Everything Is Beautiful" by Ray Stevens, "Happy Christmas (War Is Over") by John and Yoko, "I'm a Thug" by Trick Daddy, "Say It Loud - I'm Black and I'm Proud" by James Brown, "2080" by Yeasayer, "We Don't Need Another Hero" by Tina Turner.

Surprisingly, I got this because of the inclusion of the Ray Stevens song, an album that my folks had & played often when I was a child.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 11, 2009, 04:10:31 PM »
Here's another musical question 7 from KJ.

What unusual distinction is shared by these songs?  "Aeroplane" by Red Hot Chili Peppers, "Another Brick in the Wall" by Pink Floyd, "Everything Is Beautiful" by Ray Stevens, "Happy Christmas (War Is Over") by John and Yoko, "I'm a Thug" by Trick Daddy, "Say It Loud - I'm Black and I'm Proud" by James Brown, "2080" by Yeasayer, "We Don't Need Another Hero" by Tina Turner.

Surprisingly, I got this because of the inclusion of the Ray Stevens song, an album that my folks had & played often when I was a child.

children's choruses on all of 'em?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round