Author Topic: courtesy of Ken Jennings  (Read 85370 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: courtesy of Ken Jennings
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2008, 10:40:14 AM »
#7 - What unusual distinction is shared by, as far as I can tell, fewer than 20 people, including George Custer, Bette Davis, St. Dominic, Duke Ellington, William Halsey, Henry VIII, Douglas Macarthur, and Mozart?

Names appearing in #1 hits:

Please Mr. Custer
Bette Davis Eyes
Dominique-a-nic-a-nic-a
Sir Duke
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
I'm Henry VIII, I Am
MacArthur's Park
Rock Me Amadeus

I think we have a winner!

Yep.  In his answer explanation KJ mentioned a couple other possibilities, and made a slight error in saying that "Hey Jude" was about Julian Lennon, when it's actually about his mom.

I was under the impression that Hey Jude was indeed about--or at least addressed--Julian, not Cynthia Lennon.

Me too -- it ain't called "Hey Cyn"
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2008, 04:19:19 PM »
I think the whole quiz is worth reproducing this week, even though only one question is specifically about music.  I got the answers for 2-6 myself.

THIS WEEK'S QUIZ

1.  Jim Carrey has played the lead in two different adaptations of what author's works?

2.  What sport does a "kegler" enjoy?

3.  What 38-year-old brand was discontinued two weeks ago, replaced by "FedEx Office"?

4.  The "big-sea-water" Gitche Gumee in the first line of Longfellow's "Song of Hiawatha" is what modern-day body of water?

5.  What band released identically titled eponymous albums in 1994, 2001, and 2008, which fans tend to call the "Blue," "Green," and "Red" albums?

6.  Whom did Howard Carter discover in KV62 in 1922?

7.  What unusual distinction is shared by these TV series?  Alias, China Beach, Desperate Housewives, Lost, Mad Men, and One Tree Hill.

"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2008, 04:27:25 PM »
3. Kinkos?
5. Weezer
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 04:29:02 PM by Rod »
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2008, 06:03:04 PM »
all might be wrong

1.  Jim Carrey has played the lead in two different adaptations of what author's works?

dr. seuss

beer

3.  What 38-year-old brand was discontinued two weeks ago, replaced by "FedEx Office"?

ups

4.  The "big-sea-water" Gitche Gumee in the first line of Longfellow's "Song of Hiawatha" is what modern-day body of water?

caspian sea

5.  What band released identically titled eponymous albums in 1994, 2001, and 2008, which fans tend to call the "Blue," "Green," and "Red" albums?

weezer

george washington carver

7.  What unusual distinction is shared by these TV series?  Alias, China Beach, Desperate Housewives, Lost, Mad Men, and One Tree Hill.

beautiful, dark-short-haired white women?

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2008, 10:03:46 AM »
all might be wrong

dr. seuss

beer

beautiful, dark-short-haired white women?

I think you got #1 right, I wasn't thinking of that.  I like your answers for #2 & #7, Beer is definitely my favorite sport.

Both of Rod's answers are correct.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2008, 12:39:26 PM »

I'm thinking maybe: every episode of the first seasons of these shows were written or co-written by one person? (in Mad Men's case I know it's Matthew Weiner, and I'm pretty sure DH's first season was written by one guy).
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2008, 08:57:45 AM »
LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

He's been Horton hearing the Who and the Grinch stealing Christmas, in two different Dr. Seuss movies.

In German, a "kegel" is a bowling pin.  Keglers are bowlers.

R.I.P. Kinko's! 

Lake Superior.  This one's a little easier if you know "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald."

Weezer, never short of creativity, has three separate albums just called Weezer.

He was the Egyptologist who discovered the tomb of (born in Arizona, moved to Babylonia) King Tut.

7.  What unusual distinction is shared by these TV series:  Alias, China Beach, Desperate Housewives, Lost, Mad Men, and One Tree Hill?
Each series abruptly jumped forward years in time at some point during its run.  (Or will, in the case of Mad Men, which won't jump ahead until the second season premiere next month.)

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2008, 10:36:17 AM »
3.  Of the very few songs with three-letter titles ever to have topped the Billboard pop chart, who sang lead on three of them?

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2008, 10:37:36 AM »
3.  Of the very few songs with three-letter titles ever to have topped the Billboard pop chart, who sang lead on three of them?

I know this one but I'll give others a chance.   ;D
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2008, 11:41:12 AM »

Pretty sure I know too, but the 3rd title is eluding me.  Unless it's something of a trick question.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 08, 2008, 11:44:55 AM »

Pretty sure I know too, but the 3rd title is eluding me.  Unless it's something of a trick question.

Ah, of course.  Not a trick.  (cheated on the last one).
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2008, 07:19:52 AM »

I'm guessing Michael Jackson: ABC, PYT and BEN.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2008, 07:39:25 AM »

Yes, but BAD, not PYT.   8)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2008, 09:09:00 AM »

Yes, but BAD, not PYT.   8)

For some reason, I was having trouble coming up with "ABC", though I finally tracked it down on Wiki.  My trick answer is "Say Say Say", which is a three letter (repeated thrice) song title.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2008, 10:28:13 AM »

Yes, but BAD, not PYT.   8)

Ha! I overlooked the obvious.