Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 512865 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #360 on: March 23, 2006, 04:13:53 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
By now you may have heard of the upcoming Samuel L Jackson flick with the brilliantly preposterous title Snakes on a Plane (and you can surely imagine Sam L. J. saying "get these muthafuckin' snakes off the plane!").  Anyway check this out from my fave inside-movieland site:

http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/

it's a blog, read the story while it still at the top of the list.  Can't wait til' August!

I can't believe the word-of-mouth this thing is getting. Its opening weekend is gonna be HUGE.

That said, this circulated on an email list here at work:

A new precedent from the Snakes On A Plane saga. The studio is adding re-shoots and new material to make the movie satisfy enthusiastic fan speculation.

"The [fan trailer] uses a Jackson sound-alike shouting, 'I want these motherf____ snakes off the mother____ plane!' Soon, the growing legion of fans added their voices as they demanded that that phrase also appear in the movie. Apparently, the studio got the hint. When Ellis assembled Jackson and others for the recent shoot, the filmmakers added more gore, more death, more nudity, more snakes and more death scenes. And they shot a scene where Jackson does utter the line that fans have demanded."

Complete story at
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060323/en_nm/snakes_dc

More nudity? There was nudity to start with? With the snakes? On the plane?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #361 on: March 23, 2006, 08:24:18 PM »
Quote from: "urth"

apparently the nudity is in the scene where the guy and his girlfriend join the, er, "Mile High Club"... and a snake bites him in the balls.   OUCH!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #362 on: March 23, 2006, 10:51:20 PM »
Quote from: "urth"

apparently the nudity is in the scene where the guy and his girlfriend join the, er, "Mile High Club"... and a snake bites him in the balls.   OUCH!

"late in summer is when it comes out..baby sna-a-a-akes!"

ok, if this turns out to be one of those, "the snakes really were on the plane, hidden in the nose of the aircraft, but no one believed eugene levy when he tried to tell them, and then harrison ford had to pretend he was incapacitated, but he was really wearing the gorilla suit (standing next to the real gorilla), and lithgow thinks he sees shatner's career dancing on the wing of the plane," i'm going to puke. and there better not be any damn langoliers, either.

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #363 on: March 24, 2006, 10:28:24 AM »
Link to trailer for Snakes On a (Muthafucking) Plane:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CSudn9n0d_k
nakes? On my plane?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #364 on: March 24, 2006, 12:43:51 PM »
I think I mentioned recently that, with the Loews/AMC merger, AMC would have to sell both the Kabuki and the 1000 Van Ness. Looks like Robert Redford's Sundance Cinemas is buying the Kabuki:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/03/24/BAGE0HTIGT1.DTL

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #365 on: March 27, 2006, 09:13:26 AM »
Hey didja all see Inside Man yet?  Awesome flick, should be the first entry in the 2006 Best Original Screenplay category.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #366 on: March 27, 2006, 09:17:48 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Hey didja all see Inside Man yet?  Awesome flick, should be the first entry in the 2006 Best Original Screenplay category.

Yes -- the princess & I saw it Friday. Terrific.  Nice to see Spike get a big payday.

And speaking of screenplays (the adapted kind), I saw Thank You For Smoking Sat nite. Hilarious. I read the book ten or so years ago, and Jason Reitman (Ivan's kid) did a fine job.  Perfect casting all the way around.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #367 on: March 27, 2006, 10:59:02 AM »
More Snakes on a Plane hilarity: go to the site,

http://www.snakesonablog.com/

and as I write this the link to "early auditions" is near the top of the page. Just f---ing hilarious.

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #368 on: March 27, 2006, 11:07:50 AM »
AOL gets onboard the Snakes On a Plane flight to super-internet-buzzdom...

http://movies.aol.com/news/articles?id=20060324145809990001

(yeah, ok- that was weak. But there are MUTHERFUCKIN. SNAKES. ON. MY. PLANE!)
nakes? On my plane?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #369 on: March 28, 2006, 11:03:02 AM »
For Gaz (and all "Match game" fans): a docu about... Charles Nelson Reilly!  Coming later this year to a DVD player near you.  This from hollywood-elsewhere.com:

"Charles Nelson Reilly: three words that, provided you know who he is, cause an instant reaction. Isn't he that funny guy from "The Match Game"? Isn't he that guy from "The Ghost & Mrs. Muir"? "Isn't he that funny guy from TV"?

All of the above are accurate, but they don't nearly crack the surface of this deeply complicated, fascinating figure of American cinema, stage, and art. To say he's a cultural icon is an understatement.

People can poke fun or impersonate him all they want in an effort to trivialize him, but his resume and life story beg to differ. For some time starting in 1999, Reilly performed a one-man, three hour plus show about the story of his life. He toured the country, from performance halls to universities, telling stories with tragic and surprising content.

Reilly took over the Uta Hagen acting program. He nearly died in a circus fire as a child. He was told by the President of NBC that "we don't put queers on TV" (boy was he wrong). For years, and even still today, he's brushed off as a schtick comedian. In the film, he performs Hamlet at over 70 better than many men of any age I've seen deliver the same speech.

This "concert doc" captures an edited-down, 90 minutes or so of absolutely riveting performance from one of the most under-appreciated actors of his or any generation of the 20th century."

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #370 on: March 28, 2006, 11:48:52 AM »
I'm all over that.  He also had one of the most riveting guest appearances on The X-Files back in the day, for which (iirc) he won an Emmy.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #371 on: March 28, 2006, 12:01:44 PM »
He nearly died in a circus fire as a child.

"I remember when I was a very little girl, our house caught on fire.
I'll never forget the look on my father's face as he gathered me up in his arms
and raced through the burning building out to the pavement.
I stood there shivering in my pajamas and watched the whole world go up in flames.
And when it was all over I said to myself,
'Is that all there is to a fire?'"

PS: While I mightily respect the mighty mighty CNR, that press release reeks of faint desperation.  Dude, he's not THAT important to the cultural landscape.  But I'll take him ("to block!") over the Real Rip Taylor.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #372 on: March 28, 2006, 12:30:23 PM »
finally saw freeway. wow! wow! leads were great, of course. and the dialogue was awesome. but how about brittany murphy and alanna ubach?!?!?!?!?! woah....... i've never seen brittany in another movie, but i recognise her as a blonde. she does the voice for luanne on king of the hill. and alanna....t.a.l.e.n.t.

best lines:

"look who got beat with the ugly stick!"
"did you kill all them girls, bob?"
"yeah? well i get claustrophobic sucking strange dick!"
"i'm dying in here!" "yeah? well hurry it up!"
"chola alert" "how many?" "three. but you only have to worry about one."
"i'm ready to order...chicken soup. and a fucking straw!"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #373 on: March 28, 2006, 12:43:31 PM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
finally saw freeway. wow! wow! leads were great, of course. and the dialogue was awesome. but how about brittany murphy and alanna ubach?!?!?!?!?! woah....... i've never seen brittany in another movie, but i recognise her as a blonde. she does the voice for luanne on king of the hill. and alanna....t.a.l.e.n.t.

best lines:

and of course, Reese -- and that was way before Election, much less the Legally Blonde pics.  She rules. And Michael T Weiss as her stepdaddy -- yowsah!

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #374 on: March 28, 2006, 12:46:21 PM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"

best lines:

and of course, Reese -- and that was way before Election, much less the Legally Blonde pics.  She rules. And Michael T Weiss as her stepdaddy -- yowsah!

yeah - that guy! jared's hot!