Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 512884 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #390 on: April 11, 2006, 07:55:21 PM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
Quote from: "RGMike"
for those (like the princess) who loves them some Catherine Keener:

gosh, she's hot.

KEENER TUNSTALL
SEPARATED AT BIRTH?

somebody suggested a remake/update of The Thin Man with Keener and Aaron Eckhardt.  Yowsah!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #391 on: April 12, 2006, 08:03:12 AM »
for those (like the princess) who loves them some Catherine Keener:

http://www.oscarwatch.com/moveabletype/archives/articles/stephen_holt/index.html#000768

I still say KT Tunstall looks like Keener's younger sis.

Count me in that group.  Keener is HOT.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #392 on: April 22, 2006, 10:34:32 PM »
Technically a TV-movie, but... I just watched part 1 of HBO's Elizabeth I with Helen Mirren and Jeremy Irons.  Great stuff. Just give Ms. Mirren the Emmy right now and be done with it.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #393 on: April 25, 2006, 10:50:44 AM »
Technically a TV-movie, but... I just watched part 1 of HBO's Elizabeth I with Helen Mirren and Jeremy Irons.  Great stuff. Just give Ms. Mirren the Emmy right now and be done with it.

Was part 2 as good?  I missed it last night.  I watched part 1, and though I agree with everything you say, I was having trouble maintaining interest.  Personal problem.

However, I had no such problem with Sunday's "Sopranos."  A wonderful episode.  I won't spoil it now for those of you who wait for the repeats during the week, but the guest spots from Sir Ben Kingsley and Lauren Bacall (playing themselves) were brilliant and hilarious.  Bacall's performance was especially welcome considering her less than flattering Oscar appearance.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #394 on: April 25, 2006, 11:21:06 AM »
Quote from: "Rod"

Was part 2 as good?  I missed it last night.  I watched part 1, and though I agree with everything you say, I was having trouble maintaining interest.  Personal problem.

Yes, quite good, even without Jeremy Irons.  But I had read a review that said the young actor playing Essex looked like Kirk (Growing Pains) Cameron and he really did, which was a tad annoying.

And yes the Sopranos has been f---ing brilliant this season.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #395 on: April 25, 2006, 11:56:09 AM »
From Hollywood-Elsewhere.com:

"RV is no Benchwarmers, I can tell you that! What's shocking to me is that there have been about 12 pictures that haven't been advance-screened for the press this year. Silent Hill, I think, was the 12th. And so this is the trend so far...they're not screening lots of films for the obvious reason...and they turn around and screen RV? What were they thinking? The critics are going to hate it. This film is not funny. The people in the cheap seats -- people they brought in on the hope they would probably laugh more than the critics -- were laughing here and there, but nobody was laughing in the critics' section There were long periods where there were no laughs anywhere...no laughs at all. There's one good riff in the entire movie when Robin's son is being taunted and he makes fun of 'hood rap with the taunters. Poor Robin Williams has inherited Chevy Chase's career, and it's like the poor guy is in a straightjacket. It's definitely a family picture, and that poster image of the RV teetering on the mountaintop...they actually have that scene. And there's one with vicious racoons invading the RV. And one with a septic tank that explodes and lands all over Williams and he's covered in shit. Look back on the last 15 years and I think Sonnenfeld's peak was Get Shorty, and after that the Men in Black films. On the credits there's a guy whose title was "consultant to Barry Sonnenfeld." What was his consulting about? To tell Sonnenfeld that this crap is funny?"

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #396 on: April 25, 2006, 12:13:57 PM »
Poor Robin Williams has inherited Chevy Chase's career

LOL!

I saw an add on the side of the bus this morning for RV, and I was thinking back on the TV spots I've seen, and was wondering if it were possible that even Robin Williams could be funny in this flick.  Guess not.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #397 on: May 03, 2006, 11:07:57 AM »
It's finally happening -- a live-action Jetsons movie:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117942431?categoryid=13&cs=1&nid=2564

Now, 20 years ago I suggested Steve Martin as George, Bette Midler as Jane, and -- a MUST! -- Danny DeVito as Mr Spacely.  So now it's 2006 -- I'm guessing Martin and DeVito could still be in, but Hollywood being what it is, Midler would be considered too old.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #398 on: May 03, 2006, 11:23:41 AM »

Now, 20 years ago I suggested Steve Martin as George, Bette Midler as Jane, and -- a MUST! -- Danny DeVito as Mr Spacely.  So now it's 2006 -- I'm guessing Martin and DeVito could still be in, but Hollywood being what it is, Midler would be considered too old.

Devito is certainly a ringer for the Spacely role, but not sure if Steve Martin will get to play George. I'm thinking more along the lines of Will Farrell. And as far as Jane--I dunno. Nicole Kidman?

The kids--maybe Lindsay Lohan and the kid from Malcolm in the Middle. Just tossing out names here. A rare slow morning at the office.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #399 on: May 03, 2006, 11:56:41 AM »
Quote from: "urth"

Devito is certainly a ringer for the Spacely role, but not sure if Steve Martin will get to play George. I'm thinking more along the lines of Will Farrell. And as far as Jane--I dunno. Nicole Kidman?

The kids--maybe Lindsay Lohan and the kid from Malcolm in the Middle. Just tossing out names here. A rare slow morning at the office.

Indeed, you're right on if they decide to "go younger". Ferrel & Kidman, together again. Because, y'know, Bewitched was such a blockbuster :roll:

Yikes, Lindsay Lohan as daughter Judy.  That makes me think that, if it were Steve Martin as George (or, god help us, Tim Allen), Jamie Lee Curtis would make a great Jane.

"Jane! Stop this crazy thing!"  I gotta bring that Jetsons dance mix to the next gathering...

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #400 on: May 03, 2006, 12:09:00 PM »
Quote from: "urth"

Indeed, you're right on if they decide to "go younger". Ferrel & Kidman, together again. Because, y'know, Bewitched was such a blockbuster :roll:

Yikes, Lindsay Lohan as daughter Judy.  That makes me think that, if it were Steve Martin as George (or, god help us, Tim Allen), Jamie Lee Curtis would make a great Jane.

"Jane! Stop this crazy thing!"  I gotta bring that Jetsons dance mix to the next gathering...

This is a bit out of the box, but I wouldn't mind seeing Rob Corddry (of the Daily Show) as George Jetson.  And just because I never get to see her in anything, Martha Plimpton as Jane His Wife.  Daughter Judy should be the tall gal from That '70s Show, and His Boy Elroy is indeed best given to one of the Malcolm kids.  Is Rosie the Robot gonna be CGI'd or should we cast her too?  (I'm suggesting Elton John for the role.)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #401 on: May 03, 2006, 12:30:31 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
This is a bit out of the box, but I wouldn't mind seeing Rob Corddry (of the Daily Show) as George Jetson.  And just because I never get to see her in anything, Martha Plimpton as Jane His Wife.  Daughter Judy should be the tall gal from That '70s Show, and His Boy Elroy is indeed best given to one of the Malcolm kids.  Is Rosie the Robot gonna be CGI'd or should we cast her too?  (I'm suggesting Elton John for the role.)

Corddry is an inspired choice. Plimpton: never happen. And I guarantee you Rosie the Robot = Rosie O'Donnell.

"hey theah, RoyBoy!"

But who will do the cover version of "Eep! Opp! Orp! Ah-Ah! (That Means I Love You)"?

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #402 on: May 03, 2006, 10:23:11 PM »
I don't want to see the Jetsons as real people. I like my fantasy cartoon world. Yes I own the Jetsons on DVD and enjoy them frequently.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #403 on: May 04, 2006, 07:58:13 AM »
(1) Hollywood wags are referring to DaVinci Code, directed by Ron Howard, as "Opie's Dei".

(2) the actor who plays  Mark Bingham in United 93 is named Cheyenne Jackson.  If your real name is Cheyenne, what can you possibly do for a drag name?

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #404 on: May 04, 2006, 09:28:33 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
I don't want to see the Jetsons as real people. I like my fantasy cartoon world. Yes I own the Jetsons on DVD and enjoy them frequently.

Yay!  Thanks for saying that.  This whole live-action discussion was disturbing me deeply.  

And I don't even own the cartoon DVD.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010