Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 512887 times)

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #345 on: March 22, 2006, 05:51:53 PM »
crash, an interesting perspective

had a hard time reading past the second paragraph. racism existed long before white people existed. remember caste systems? and if robert squared is positing that the modern world didn't exist until the white man came to power - a racist comment by its very nature -  then they are committing a fundamental error warned of in grade school, and later by Aristotle: circular argument (racism exists because of white men who created racism because racism exists...).

the color of racism is not white - to believe so would be to let everyone off the hook except whites, a move that would hardly be considered just.

hell, maybe i'm biased. i loved the film. the article sounds like a couple of white guys trying to make themselves feel better after beating themselves up for feeling so good after watching the film. unless jensen and wosnitzer aren't white names (see? i'm racist, too!!!)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
the color of racism
« Reply #346 on: March 22, 2006, 07:52:25 PM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"

had a hard time reading past the second paragraph. racism existed long before white people existed. remember caste systems? and if robert squared is positing that the modern world didn't exist until the white man came to power - a racist comment by its very nature -  then they are committing a fundamental error warned of in grade school, and later by Aristotle: circular argument (racism exists because of white men who created racism because racism exists...).

the color of racism is not white - to believe so would be to let everyone off the hook except whites, a move that would hardly be considered just.

hell, maybe i'm biased. i loved the film. the article sounds like a couple of white guys trying to make themselves feel better after beating themselves up for feeling so good after watching the film. unless jensen and wosnitzer aren't white names (see? i'm racist, too!!!)

I'm having a hard time in my 9th grade science class, where there are NO white kids, and almost all the kids are pretty racist.  The irony and pain of being a big white man, and scolding black kids who use the n-word is inescapable.  But too many people of many races have struggled and died, been beaten and lynched, for me to look the other way.  Just because one kid says "my momma calls me that!" doesn't make it right in the classroom.  I have many priveleges in life being a white male, but my opinions are kind of suspect whenever the subject is race or gender, but what the hey...
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #347 on: March 23, 2006, 08:04:26 AM »
Inside Man update for the princess (and ayone else who might care to join us Friday evening):  Both Metreon and AMC Van Ness have 7pm shows (the shows before that are too early to mesh w/poc's sked). So whichever location is more convenient to your whiskey-slingin' gig is fine with me (I'm thinking Van Ness might be better 'cause you'd just have to hop on the 38 Geary -- and there's a swell Thai restaurant around the corner from the theater, which beats the Metreon Food Court.)  So think on it.

Denzel & Jodie & Clive -- Oh My!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #348 on: March 23, 2006, 08:37:53 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
(I'm thinking Van Ness might be better 'cause you'd just have to hop on the 38 Geary -- and there's a swell Thai restaurant around the corner from the theater, which beats the Metreon Food Court.)

You should eat at Tommy's Joynt!  I regretted not making it there during my recent visit.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #349 on: March 23, 2006, 08:40:23 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
(I'm thinking Van Ness might be better 'cause you'd just have to hop on the 38 Geary -- and there's a swell Thai restaurant around the corner from the theater, which beats the Metreon Food Court.)

You should eat at Tommy's Joynt!  I regretted not making it there during my recent visit.

I'm not a big fan of buffalo sandwiches :wink:

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: the color of racism
« Reply #350 on: March 23, 2006, 08:49:20 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"

I'm having a hard time in my 9th grade science class, where there are NO white kids, and almost all the kids are pretty racist.  The irony and pain of being a big white man, and scolding black kids who use the n-word is inescapable.  But too many people of many races have struggled and died, been beaten and lynched, for me to look the other way.  Just because one kid says "my momma calls me that!" doesn't make it right in the classroom.  I have many priveleges in life being a white male, but my opinions are kind of suspect whenever the subject is race or gender, but what the hey...

I sympathize with your plight.  Your job, which they don't recognize, is to prepare them for a bigger world where that kind of language isn't part of the everyday.  "My momma calls me that" -- is that kid's mother living the kind of life s/he wants to live when s/he's her age, is the uncomfortable question that has to be confronted.  Anyone who insists upon crass and crude language that is likely to offend is going to encounter ceilings prematurely.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #351 on: March 23, 2006, 10:22:23 AM »
Inside Man update for the princess (and ayone else who might care to join us Friday evening):  Both Metreon and AMC Van Ness have 7pm shows (the shows before that are too early to mesh w/poc's sked). So whichever location is more convenient to your whiskey-slingin' gig is fine with me (I'm thinking Van Ness might be better 'cause you'd just have to hop on the 38 Geary -- and there's a swell Thai restaurant around the corner from the theater, which beats the Metreon Food Court.)  So think on it.

i'll be on the bike, so i think the metreon will be better. it would take me awhile to make it up the hill to van ness in rush-hour traffic. "hey (i'm no_ bike messenger..."

surely there are food options outside the metreon?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #352 on: March 23, 2006, 11:00:21 AM »

i'll be on the bike, so i think the metreon will be better. it would take me awhile to make it up the hill to van ness in rush-hour traffic. "hey (i'm no_ bike messenger..."

Metreon it is. -- meet at the box office area at 5:30?  There's always Mels across the street and I'll scout the area for something more intersting.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #353 on: March 23, 2006, 11:08:15 AM »

Metreon it is. -- meet at the box office area at 5:30?  There's always Mels across the street and I'll scout the area for something more intersting.

sounds like a plan!!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #354 on: March 23, 2006, 11:56:56 AM »
and for those of you planning NEXT weekend's moviegoing, here's Newsweek on the Sharon Stone-starring Basic Instinct 2:

"If you expect an erotic thriller, you may be sorely disappointed. But if you expect soft-core camp, you will be rewarded with a showstopper nearly in the league of the weirdly mesmerizing Showgirls. Stone prowls, purrs and struts through every scene, delivering a performance so over-the-top that she elevates a bad movie into a must-see diva extravaganza"  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #355 on: March 23, 2006, 12:38:38 PM »
From a British (Empire.com) review of Inside Man:

"As for Jodie Foster, well, she’s having a field day as one of the best unscrupulous bitches we’ve seen on the big screen since Linda Fiorentino said yes to The Last Seduction."

WOO HOO!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #356 on: March 23, 2006, 02:44:00 PM »
There's always Mels across the street and I'll scout the area for something more intersting.

There's also a Denny's in that 'hood on Mission, and if you don't mind the aesthetics, Tu Lan at 6th & Mission is some of the best Vietnamese in the city.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #357 on: March 23, 2006, 03:02:37 PM »
There's always Mels across the street and I'll scout the area for something more intersting.

There's also a Denny's in that 'hood on Mission, and if you don't mind the aesthetics, Tu Lan at 6th & Mission is some of the best Vietnamese in the city.

I had been trying to block Denny's from my mind... :wink:

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #358 on: March 23, 2006, 03:03:48 PM »

yes, let's do vietnamese!?!?!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #359 on: March 23, 2006, 03:35:52 PM »
By now you may have heard of the upcoming Samuel L Jackson flick with the brilliantly preposterous title Snakes on a Plane (and you can surely imagine Sam L. J. saying "get these muthafuckin' snakes off the plane!").  Anyway check this out from my fave inside-movieland site:

http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/

it's a blog, read the story while it still at the top of the list.  Can't wait til' August!