Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 512875 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #405 on: May 04, 2006, 09:39:47 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Quote from: "Alicat"
I don't want to see the Jetsons as real people. I like my fantasy cartoon world. Yes I own the Jetsons on DVD and enjoy them frequently.

Yay!  Thanks for saying that.  This whole live-action discussion was disturbing me deeply.  

it's just a parlor game, bub. It's not like we take it seriously.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #406 on: May 04, 2006, 10:26:41 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
I don't want to see the Jetsons as real people. I like my fantasy cartoon world. Yes I own the Jetsons on DVD and enjoy them frequently.

Yay!  Thanks for saying that.  This whole live-action discussion was disturbing me deeply.  

it's just a parlor game, bub. It's not like we take it seriously.

No disrespect Mike, but I wasn't talking about you guys, I was talking about the f*ckers in Hollywood.  

Unless maybe you're gonna get a co-producer credit?  Then I'm talking about YOU man!

:wink:  :wink:  :wink:  :wink:
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #407 on: May 04, 2006, 09:40:22 PM »
(1) Hollywood wags are referring to DaVinci Code, directed by Ron Howard, as "Opie's Dei".

(2) the actor who plays  Mark Bingham in United 93 is named Cheyenne Jackson.  If your real name is Cheyenne, what can you possibly do for a drag name?

Opie's Dei, too perfect. I finally got around to reading the book a few months ago and loved it. I have Angels and Demons now but no time to get started.

re: Cheyenne; it was one of my choices for a daughter's name but I was vetoed. I like it.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #408 on: May 16, 2006, 08:00:39 AM »
I saw Poseidon yesterday. Don't bother -- cheezy but not in a good way. Of course it does have Fergie from the Black-Eyed Peas showing off her "humps". She sings a song that's much worse than "The Morning After".

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #409 on: May 16, 2006, 09:59:55 AM »
I saw Poseidon yesterday. Don't bother -- cheezy but not in a good way. Of course it does have Fergie from the Black-Eyed Peas showing off her "humps". She sings a song that's much worse than "The Morning After".

Do you get to see her die horribly?!?!?

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #410 on: May 16, 2006, 10:05:56 AM »

Do you get to see her die horribly?!?!?

No -- we were spared that scene -- she gets a tender embrace with Captain Andre Braugher (a great thespian wasted) and then cut back to the plot. Bu we know she dies.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #411 on: May 17, 2006, 04:36:28 AM »
(1) Hollywood wags are referring to DaVinci Code, directed by Ron Howard, as "Opie's Dei".

(2) the actor who plays  Mark Bingham in United 93 is named Cheyenne Jackson.  If your real name is Cheyenne, what can you possibly do for a drag name?

Opie's Dei, too perfect.

ha!!!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #412 on: May 27, 2006, 09:49:08 PM »
Made it to Over the Hedge today. Kids enjoyed it. Good animation. I had a hard time keeping my eyes open at times. There were a few lines that made me chuckle but that was it. Madagascar was better.
Sharks bleed teal.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Good Night and Good Luck
« Reply #413 on: May 27, 2006, 10:19:31 PM »
Netflix envelope been sittin' here for at least a month, finally checked it out.  Pretty darn good, I liked the relaxed pacing.  Way too relevant to current events though.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #414 on: May 27, 2006, 10:28:01 PM »
Made it to Over the Hedge today. Kids enjoyed it. Good animation. I had a hard time keeping my eyes open at times. There were a few lines that made me chuckle but that was it. Madagascar was better.

I'm doing a doubleheader of X-Men 3 and Over the Hedge on Monday.  Did DaVinci Fri nite.  High-toned crap.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #415 on: May 27, 2006, 11:55:44 PM »

I'm doing a doubleheader of X-Men 3 and Over the Hedge on Monday.  Did DaVinci Fri nite.  High-toned crap.

Did you like the book and the movie didn't measure up?
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #416 on: May 28, 2006, 12:05:14 PM »

Did you like the book and the movie didn't measure up?

Never read the book, but I already knew the plot and most of the "surprises". It's just not very well-written and Hanks is completely flat -- I've never seen him be so uninteresting. Thank god for Ian McKellen.

Pre-show, they showed the trailer for the new James Bond, with Daniel Craig. Rrrrrowr!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #417 on: May 29, 2006, 07:50:17 PM »
So... X-Men 3: very entertaining, and that whole Golden Gate Bridge thing is pretty nifty.  Much was made of the fact that it's a different director this time,  but aside from some bad writing in spots,  it works, and at 105 minutes, it's downright lean. MAKE SURE TO STAY THRU THE END CREDITS.

And Over the Hedge was a lot of fun -- thanks Mark for the tip, the Ben Folds songs were nice, and yes that was him doing a cover of "Lost in the Supermarket".  Great voice work by all, but especially Steve Carell, who (to go back a few posts) would make an ideal George Jetson.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #418 on: June 06, 2006, 08:10:28 AM »
Saw The Break-Up yesterday, and it's a lot better than the reviews indicate.  There's some very funny stuff in it, but also some dark stuff that they didn't put in the trailer because they're selling it as a boffo comedy.

But the surprise -- in a small role as Aniston's best friend's husband is Peter "Ralphie from A Christmas Story" Billingsley. He's in his mid-30s now, I guess. He also co-produced the film.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #419 on: June 06, 2006, 08:20:44 AM »
Saw The Break-Up yesterday, and it's a lot better than the reviews indicate.  There's some very funny stuff in it, but also some dark stuff that they didn't put in the trailer because they're selling it as a boffo comedy.

But the surprise -- in a small role as Aniston's best friend's husband is Peter "Ralphie from A Christmas Story" Billingsley. He's in his mid-30s now, I guess. He also co-produced the film.

That's cool, just might have to go see it now.  Did you notice that Vince Vaughn's dad is played by...

...Vince Vaughn's dad?

--Carlos Santana, 2010