Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 534730 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #435 on: June 27, 2006, 09:39:14 PM »
Take the "which James Bond are you?" Quiz:

http://www.seabreezecomputers.com/bond/

(I'm Daniel Craig, aka "the new guy")
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #436 on: June 27, 2006, 10:00:52 PM »
And I'm...

<BR>You are Timothy Dalton
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #437 on: June 27, 2006, 10:12:34 PM »
You are Pierce Brosnan
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #438 on: June 28, 2006, 03:20:33 AM »
"You are Daniel Craig"

at least i'm still a sexy womanizer.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #439 on: June 28, 2006, 07:01:59 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
"You are Daniel Craig"

at least i'm still a sexy womanizer.

I guess that "hairy chest" question tripped you up...

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
bond
« Reply #440 on: June 28, 2006, 07:43:02 AM »
Your results:
You are George Lazenby

George Lazenby
41%
Pierce Brosnan
40%
Timothy Dalton
35%
Daniel Craig
34%
Sean Connery
26%
Roger Moore
18%
The second actor to play 007 in the movies was good looking and charming.  He was also able to make time to fall in love while saving the world.

Click here to take the James Bond Personality Test

Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #441 on: June 30, 2006, 02:28:17 PM »
The Devil Wears Prada is AWESOME, especially considering how utterly formulaic the plot is.  

I mean seriously, see if you can fill in the blanks:  Young midwestern girl arrives in NYC and gets big break in the upper echelons of the ____ world.  Struggling to fit in she gets mentored by the kindly _____.  As she begins to adapt to her new life, her old friends begin to wonder if she _____, and her boyfriend _____.  At the same time she attracts the attention of the suave _____.  Suddenly one day she must choose between _____ & _____.  She makes her choice but comes to realize that she _____ after all, so she _____.

That being said, you won't really care about the plot.  The movie is very funny, Anne Hathaway is really good, and Stanley Tucci (who I love) steals every scene he's in.  Unless of course he's up against Meryl, who flat out blazes onscreen.  She is incandescent.  

Give her her 3rd Oscar right now & be done with it.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #442 on: June 30, 2006, 03:06:56 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"
The Devil Wears Prada is AWESOME...

That's the best review it's gotten anywhere.

Just about everyone loves The Streep; the movie less so.

The director, David Frankel, has most recently done Entourage and Sex & the City eps, but 11 years ago he made Miami Rhapsody, the best faux-Woody Allen movie you will ever see (Edward Burns, eat yer heart out!). It starred Sarah Jessica Parker as as sort of forerunner of Carrie Bradshaw.  Worth checking out.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #443 on: June 30, 2006, 03:27:29 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
The Devil Wears Prada is AWESOME...

That's the best review it's gotten anywhere.

Just about everyone loves The Streep; the movie less so.

The director, David Frankel, has most recently done Entourage and Sex & the City eps, but 11 years ago he made Miami Rhapsody, the best faux-Woody Allen movie you will ever see (Edward Burns, eat yer heart out!). It starred Sarah Jessica Parker as as sort of forerunner of Carrie Bradshaw.  Worth checking out.

It's awesome because Streep is awesome, like I said the plot has treadmarks on it a mile wide.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #444 on: July 01, 2006, 09:38:14 PM »
I don't remember which thread the original mention was in, but that movie Twenty Bucks that someone referenced recently is showing on Starz cable channel minutes from now.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #445 on: July 03, 2006, 10:58:17 AM »
So, any thoughts on Superman?

I liked most of it as a movie, but Superman is just not a good superhero for me.  He is either supremely powerful or, when exposed to Kryptonite, supremely weak, and as in the plot of almost every other Superman movie, they get this all out of whack so that it doesn't make sense anymore.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #446 on: July 03, 2006, 08:35:00 PM »
The Devil Wears Prada is AWESOME, especially considering how utterly formulaic the plot is.  

I mean seriously, see if you can fill in the blanks:  Young midwestern girl arrives in NYC and gets big break in the upper echelons of the ____ world.  Struggling to fit in she gets mentored by the kindly _____.  As she begins to adapt to her new life, her old friends begin to wonder if she _____, and her boyfriend _____.  At the same time she attracts the attention of the suave _____.  Suddenly one day she must choose between _____ & _____.  She makes her choice but comes to realize that she _____ after all, so she _____.

That being said, you won't really care about the plot.  The movie is very funny, Anne Hathaway is really good, and Stanley Tucci (who I love) steals every scene he's in.  Unless of course he's up against Meryl, who flat out blazes onscreen.  She is incandescent.  

Give her her 3rd Oscar right now & be done with it.

Saw it this afternoon, and indeed The Streep is the major reason to pay 10 bucks to see this movie. She's fab (and I can't WAIT to see her play Martha Mitchell). Tucci is also wonderful, as is the young British woman who plays Streep's other assistant (if you've never seen My Summer of Love, rent it).  But the script is utter horseshit, that typical crisis-of-conscience, am-I-betraying-my-roots stuff that American audiences love because they believe there's no middle ground in anything. I can't stand Adrian Grenier (Hathaway's boyfriend) on Entourage either, he's a total blank for me, but his character is on her case for being a sellout and he's... an aspiring chef in Manhattan??? Oh, no... no ass-kissing involved that THAT profession! Jeez.

Nicely directed, with maybe a few too many musical montages (it's obvious David Frankel has worked on Sex & the City) and maybe THE most-obvious use of a song in ages -- U2's "City of Blinding Light", during a Paris-at-night montage.

The guy who runs Hollywood-Elsewhere.com asked recently: If you met a young woman, a recent Northwestern grad and a Journalism major, and she had never heard of VOGUE magazine...  wouldn't you think she was, like, retarded or something?  I had a hard time getting that question out of my head for most of the movie.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #447 on: July 10, 2006, 09:52:48 PM »
So, any thoughts on Superman?

I liked most of it as a movie, but Superman is just not a good superhero for me.  He is either supremely powerful or, when exposed to Kryptonite, supremely weak, and as in the plot of almost every other Superman movie, they get this all out of whack so that it doesn't make sense anymore.

Just came from seeing it and really enjoyed it, especially the 3-D stuff; it's a bit long but still worth the 15 bucks it cost to see it in IMAX. Yes, the whole Superman-and-Kryptonite thing is pretty silly if you think about it -- the villain always gets his hands on some K -- but either you go with it or you don't.  Overall, I thought Singer did a nice job.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #448 on: July 19, 2006, 10:12:16 PM »
I just saw the first official commercial for Snakes on a Plane.  Sam Jackson RULES!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #449 on: July 20, 2006, 01:33:53 PM »
Check this out -- Helen Mirren and Cuba Gooding Jr as incestuous stepmom-and-stepson hitmen. Wha???

http://www.villagevoice.com/film/0629,lim,73892,20.html

despite/because of that review, methinks I've gotta see this one.

"And then there's the Macy Gray approach. As Vickie's friend Niesha, a sloppy, slurring banshee who exits the movie much too soon, Gray delivers a kamikaze performance that will be studied by drag queens for years to come. "