Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 513688 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #420 on: June 06, 2006, 08:26:41 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Quote from: "RGMike"
Saw The Break-Up yesterday, and it's a lot better than the reviews indicate.  There's some very funny stuff in it, but also some dark stuff that they didn't put in the trailer because they're selling it as a boffo comedy.

But the surprise -- in a small role as Aniston's best friend's husband is Peter "Ralphie from A Christmas Story" Billingsley. He's in his mid-30s now, I guess. He also co-produced the film.

That's cool, just might have to go see it now.  Did you notice that Vince Vaughn's dad is played by...

...Vince Vaughn's dad?

I did not know that.

There's a subplot involving Aniston's brother, who sings with an all-male (read: gay) a cappella group called the "Tone Rangers". and they do hilarious versions of "Owner of a Lonely Heart", "Boogie Nights", and a rather sweet rendition (over the close credits) of "Rainbow Connection".
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #421 on: June 09, 2006, 07:22:40 AM »
TANC: Fallen Angel, a new docu about Gram Parsons, is playing this week at the Roxie.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #422 on: June 09, 2006, 07:42:43 AM »
I just saw the Al Gore film, An Inconvenient Truth, last night.  Much of his information was very powerful, particularly the visual representations of drying-up lakes and glaciers.  But too much of it was about Al: His backstory, his child's near-death, his run for the roses.  I didn't think any of that added to the essential story; and moreover, the presidential-run recap came off as sour grapes.  Hey, I agree, he got shafted, and the environment has suffered as a direct result, but we could have drawn those dots without footage of Tom Brokaw taking Florida away from Gore.  His dwelling as much as he did on that angle ensures that no right-wingers will see this film and get its core message.

Still and all, I suppose that if this film was part of a trial balloon for his political comeback, it worked, gauging by all the buzz about him making a run.  He'd certainly stand a better chance of winning than Howard Dean (too fractious for Middle America) or Hillary Clinton (too female for Middle America).
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #423 on: June 13, 2006, 10:19:24 AM »
Saw 2 flicks this past weekend, Cars (with the whole fambly of course) & A Prairie Home Companion (by myself).

Both recommendable. APHC is of course directed by Bob Altman, who I never miss; as the son of a midwestern Lutheran minister who has been a fan of the show from the beginning, I was really compelled to go. Garrison Keillor plays himself, as do a number of regular musicians & crew from the show.  Woody Harrelson & John C. Reilly are very funny as Dusty & Lefty (billing themselves as 'The Old Trailhands'), Meryl Streep & Lilly Tomlin are the remaining sisters in what was once a quartet, and Streep's daughter is played by a surprisingly effective Lindsay Lohan.  Kevin Kline, Virginia Madsen & Tommy Lee Jones also appear, but thier sub-plot is impossible to describe without spoilers.  It was this element though that led me to comment to my dad that, to me at least, this felt much more like a Woody Allen movie than an Altman movie.

Cars is, I think, a very good movie, but some reviews are lukewarm & the one linked on the KBCO page is downright hostile.  A very typical story arc, in fact the plot is lifted almost in one piece from Doc Hollywood, which was itself highly derivative.  But the richness & detail of the animation is worth price of admission by itself, especially if you've ever been anywhere along the old Route 66.  There are literally hundreds of visual references in the background.  There is also one particular joke that evokes a bigger laugh than in any previous Pixar film, you'll know it when you hear it.  And, finally, as in every previous Pixar film, John (Cliff Clavin) Ratzenberger has a role (as Mack the truck that hauls Lightning McQueen).  Over the closing credits his character and others are shown watching movies at a drive-in.  The movies are all remakes of earlier Pixar films fit into this Cars-are-People universe, and both the clips of the movies & Ratzenberger's comments are ROTFL funny.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #424 on: June 13, 2006, 10:30:54 AM »
Saw 2 flicks this past weekend, Cars (with the whole fambly of course) & A Prairie Home Companion (by myself).

I thought PHC was a bit too much whimsy for me. But then I'm not a big fan of "magical realism" and find it especially doesn't work when attempted by Americans.  Not to spoil your spoilers, but the whole Virginia Madsen subplot did not work for me.  A collection of moments and bits, many of which are wonderful (the musical numbers) and others of which are embarassingly lame.

What do you think of the often-leveled accusation that Keillor's schtick is just elitism masquerading as down-home populism?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #425 on: June 13, 2006, 10:50:26 AM »
Saw 2 flicks this past weekend

BTW, did they show the trailer for the new Woody Allen with Scarlett Johansson?  I've seen it twice now, and I think it looks pretty awful.  Woody should not be in the same frame with any beautiful young woman. Period.

It's called Scoop and it looks like a retread of Curse of the Jade Scorpion, with Scarlett in place of Helen Hunt. Yeesh.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #426 on: June 13, 2006, 12:21:27 PM »

What do you think of the often-leveled accusation that Keillor's schtick is just elitism masquerading as down-home populism?

I think only an elitist critic would say that!  No self-respecting Lutheran of either Swedish or German stock would ever level that accusation, particularly not if they're from Minnesota.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #427 on: June 14, 2006, 04:34:20 PM »
Cars is, I think, a very good movie, but some reviews are lukewarm & the one linked on the KBCO page is downright hostile.  A very typical story arc, in fact the plot is lifted almost in one piece from Doc Hollywood, which was itself highly derivative.  But the richness & detail of the animation is worth price of admission by itself, especially if you've ever been anywhere along the old Route 66.  There are literally hundreds of visual references in the background.  There is also one particular joke that evokes a bigger laugh than in any previous Pixar film, you'll know it when you hear it.  And, finally, as in every previous Pixar film, John (Cliff Clavin) Ratzenberger has a role (as Mack the truck that hauls Lightning McQueen).  Over the closing credits his character and others are shown watching movies at a drive-in.  The movies are all remakes of earlier Pixar films fit into this Cars-are-People universe, and both the clips of the movies & Ratzenberger's comments are ROTFL funny.

With an unexpected free afternoon (and knowing that if I stayed home I'd probably sleep), I caught Cars and completely agree with your comments. I'm actually baffled by the hostile reviews (the NY Times gave it a semi-pan too). Guess it's overdue Pixar/Disney backlash.  But the animation is indeed spectacular. And that "Our Town" song (written by Randy Newman, sung by James Taylor) is an Oscar shoo-in.  I even dug the countrified cover of "Life Is a Highway" by (god help us) Rascall Flatts.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #428 on: June 23, 2006, 12:22:34 PM »
OK now I KNOW Mick LaSalle is insane:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/06/23/DDGENJI4UT1.DTL&type=movies

"One of the best American films of the year"???  Click???!!!???

sadly, I can't link to the Wall Street Journal, which called it "an abomination".

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #429 on: June 23, 2006, 04:09:28 PM »

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/06/23/DDGENJI4UT1.DTL&type=movies

sadly, I can't link to the Wall Street Journal, which called it "an abomination".

This might be worse than his position on Catwoman.

Here are the mini-blurbs that Yahoo has from the assorted critics:

Atlanta Journal-Constitution - Eleanor Ringel Gillespie C-
"Only Walken, as is his want, free-floats over the film's inconsistencies and clumsy schmaltz."

Boston Globe - Ty Burr B-
"...sweet at heart..."

Chicago Sun-Times - Roger Ebert C
"It's not just sad, it's brutal."

Chicago Tribune - Michael Phillips C-
"...a crass mixture of groin-kicking and tear-jerking..."

E! Online C+
"Believe it or not, the gross out jokes won't leave a bad taste in the mouth; the gushy life lessons will."

filmcritic.com - David Levine D+
"Surely Frank Capra is rolling over in his grave at the worthless gimmick that's needed to retell his classic story."

New York Post - Lou Lumenick C-
"Rarely have I wanted to fast-forward through a movie as much as Click..."

New York Times - Manohla Dargis D+
"...the director Frank Coraci struggles to push the character toward the kind of age-appropriate complexity lost on Mr. Sandler..."

Rolling Stone - Peter Travers D
"...Sandler has a sappy side that makes me puke. I damn near choked on Click."

San Francisco Chronicle - Mick LaSalle A
"...one of the best American films of the year so far."

Seattle Post-Intelligencer - William Arnold D
"...it's so devoid of anything close to wit, subtlety or sophistication that it stands as damning evidence that Hollywood has surrendered wholesale to stupidity and crassness."

USA Today - Claudia Puig C
"...outright rip-off of It's a Wonderful Life and every other movie about the value of family over a self-absorbed, super-charged work ethic."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
hmmm...
« Reply #430 on: June 23, 2006, 08:56:00 PM »

This might be worse than his position on Catwoman.

Here are the mini-blurbs that Yahoo has from the assorted critics:

Atlanta Journal-Constitution - Eleanor Ringel Gillespie C-
"Only Walken, as is his want, free-floats over the film's inconsistencies and clumsy schmaltz."

Boston Globe - Ty Burr B-
"...sweet at heart..."

Chicago Sun-Times - Roger Ebert C
"It's not just sad, it's brutal."

Chicago Tribune - Michael Phillips C-
"...a crass mixture of groin-kicking and tear-jerking..."

E! Online C+
"Believe it or not, the gross out jokes won't leave a bad taste in the mouth; the gushy life lessons will."

filmcritic.com - David Levine D+
"Surely Frank Capra is rolling over in his grave at the worthless gimmick that's needed to retell his classic story."

New York Post - Lou Lumenick C-
"Rarely have I wanted to fast-forward through a movie as much as Click..."

New York Times - Manohla Dargis D+
"...the director Frank Coraci struggles to push the character toward the kind of age-appropriate complexity lost on Mr. Sandler..."

Rolling Stone - Peter Travers D
"...Sandler has a sappy side that makes me puke. I damn near choked on Click."

San Francisco Chronicle - Mick LaSalle A
"...one of the best American films of the year so far."

Seattle Post-Intelligencer - William Arnold D
"...it's so devoid of anything close to wit, subtlety or sophistication that it stands as damning evidence that Hollywood has surrendered wholesale to stupidity and crassness."

USA Today - Claudia Puig C
"...outright rip-off of It's a Wonderful Life and every other movie about the value of family over a self-absorbed, super-charged work ethic."

Well, I have not seen the film, but for some reason really liked Mick LaSalle's review.  Sandler was on the Daily Show last night (just watched the 8PM rerun) and I'm inclined to give it a spin.  I do think they are selling it on Sandler's infantile reputation (the bouncing boobs scene in the trailer) since, let's face it, he's a big star.  He sells tickets.  I am willing to risk it, and let you all know about it.  Unfortunately, I'm a sap for certain plot lines, so it may still be a stinker even if I like it!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: hmmm...
« Reply #431 on: June 23, 2006, 09:50:18 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"
Well, I have not seen the film, but for some reason really liked Mick LaSalle's review.  Sandler was on the Daily Show last night (just watched the 8PM rerun) and I'm inclined to give it a spin.  I do think they are selling it on Sandler's infantile reputation (the bouncing boobs scene in the trailer) since, let's face it, he's a big star.  He sells tickets.  I am willing to risk it, and let you all know about it.  Unfortunately, I'm a sap for certain plot lines, so it may still be a stinker even if I like it!

It seems to be rather similar to Bruce Almighty (and in fact was penned by the same screenwriters -- DUH!). And there's a sequel to BA in the pipeline too, Evan Almighty starring Steve Carell.

LaSalle does seem to get a charge out of being contrarian, and that's fine, but over 15 years of reading him it's obvious that, for someone who has written several books and fancies himself an historian, he gets a lot of basic movie facts wrong as well.

I posted a link to his Click review on hollywood-elsewhere.com and the LaSalle haters came out of the woodwork and started going on about what an idiot they think he is.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: June 24, 2006, 10:43:10 PM »

I posted a link to his Click review on hollywood-elsewhere.com and the LaSalle haters came out of the woodwork and started going on about what an idiot they think he is.

Pop that link in here, I'll gladly read the postings of a bunch of LaSalle haters.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: June 24, 2006, 11:11:55 PM »

Pop that link in here, I'll gladly read the postings of a bunch of LaSalle haters.

Check out the Spinal Tap joke too...

http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/archives/2006/06/click_slam.php

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #434 on: June 26, 2006, 08:24:39 AM »
quote of the day, from Anthony Lane's review of Superman Returns in the New Yorker:

"If Superman is such a paragon, how come he wants to save a species so universally dumb that not a single member of it recognizes him when he puts on a pair of glasses?"