Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 514592 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
C. S. Lewis
« Reply #195 on: December 27, 2005, 10:55:01 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "mshray"
Narnia: On a sheer fantasy-movie level, I really enjoyed it.  It's beautifully filmed, Tilda Swinton rules, and the Britishness of it all covers a multitude of (you should pardon the expression) sins. But as an agnostic who's never read the books, the whole Aslan-as-Christ-figure thing seems a tad overwrought to me, and any "Christian allegory" that involves epic battles and bloodshed just creeps me out --  yes, I know, it was written during WWII and Lewis was talking about Fascism, but the fundies clearly think WE are the White Witch's minions (*shudder*).
Yeah, well, the fundies didn't make the movie, and C.S. Lewis would have nothing to do with them if he were here today.  If anything he'd say Dr. Dobson & his ilk are the White Witch's minions, not us right-minded folk.  My dad is something of an expert on Lewis, and pretty much everything he wrote is on my dad's bookshelf.

This is a film where not having read the book is a real handicap.  But several negative reviewers, who so obviously didn't read the book, fail to admit such & it makes their reviews just a joke (imho). If they got the movie they imply should have been made, I guarantee it would have sucked horribly.
Well, I certainly hope you're right about Mr Lewis. But technically the fundies did have a hand in making the film, as it was co-financed by Walden Media, owned by a very conservative Christian gazillionaire.  Hope you like Munich as much as I did.

You're both right, kind of.  I haven't seen the movie, but have read the books to my kids, and studied one of his "Christian Apologist" books (Mere Christianity) in my Adult Discussion class.  He was not a fundamentalist, but was an overt Christian, and I didn't particularly like his take on religion, but he was no Taliban.  Indeed, today's fundamentalists are trying to market this just like the Mel Gibson movie, hoping for some of the same vibe, but this looks like a different movie.  I guess I'll have to see it.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #196 on: December 28, 2005, 12:56:40 PM »
more on Narnia and Christianity, from Jim Emerson, the editor of Roger Ebert's website:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051205/SCANNERS/51205001
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #197 on: December 28, 2005, 01:08:55 PM »
more on Narnia and Christianity, from Jim Emerson, the editor of Roger Ebert's website:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051205/SCANNERS/51205001

buried down at the bottom of that page is a quote from Lewis in 1959, which is a few years after the last of the 7 Narnia books was written:

"I don't say. 'Let us represent Christ as Aslan [the lion].' I say, 'Supposing there was a world like Narnia, and supposing, like ours, it needed redemption. Let us imagine what sort of Incarnation and Passion and Resurrection Christ would have there.'"

This illustrates one of several reasons that I don't think Clive Staples (Jack to his friends) Lewis would've had anything to do with our peculiarly American fundies:  The Fundies are too f*cking literal minded.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #198 on: December 28, 2005, 01:20:25 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"
[This illustrates one of several reasons that I don't think Clive Staples (Jack to his friends) Lewis would've had anything to do with our peculiarly American fundies:  The Fundies are too f*cking literal minded.

AMEN, brotha!

When I was 7 or 8, our local PBS station (it wasn't even called PBS back then) showed a crudely animated film at Xmastime, which imagined how the Xmas story might happen on another planet -- there was this regimented society, and one guy who didn't "fit in" and was an outcast.  One night a blazing light appears in the sky. It begins to get closer and closer and everyone is terrified...  they assume it's the end of the world.  The blazing object crashes in the desert and people head out to the crash site. And there they find the outcast, holding a baby.

Now... that's based on a hazy memory of something I only saw once -- I've searched in vain but there's no trace of it. But I think of it every Xmas.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #199 on: January 01, 2006, 12:34:46 PM »
Only one movie so far this weekend. Saw Cheaper by the Dozen 2. Funny. Enjoyed Steve Martin and Eugene Levy. Thought Carmen Electra was Kathy Ireland. Fun way to spend a bad weather day. Hoping to catch Brokeback today at 4 and maybe Family Stone or Syriana tomorrow.

I heard a good review about Mrs. Henderson Presents but I think it's only in SF. Still want to see Walk the Line but it's not at any convenient location or time. Might have to wait for DVD.
Sharks bleed teal.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Weekend Movies
« Reply #200 on: January 01, 2006, 12:45:41 PM »
we saw Narnia yesterday, and watched the DVD of Crash last night.  We had intended on seeing Harry Potter, but they were all sold out, and got tix to the digital screening of Narnia instead.  Very good movie, I can't see what all the Christian fuss is about.  It's way too allegorical for the fundies, but I guess they'll use any pretext for proseltyzing these days.

I hadn't seen Crash  before, and was somewhat interested due to Paul Haggis' involvement, one of the Due South directors.  Quite thoughtful, and made me think of all the racial shit at my high school.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #201 on: January 01, 2006, 10:09:21 PM »
Got to Brokeback this afternoon. Got a little misty at two parts. I'm glad I saw it, felt really sad on the way home.

Such a big world with so much opportunity never realized by most.
Sharks bleed teal.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
J.R.R. (John Ronald Reuel) Tolkien and C. S Lewis
« Reply #202 on: January 02, 2006, 11:48:48 PM »
I subscribe to the daily Writer's Almanac email, and today they are talking about Tolkien, and a little about C. S. Lewis.  I thought it was interesting, and might slightly inform our discussion of Narnia and Lord of the Rings:

It's the birthday of J.R.R. (John Ronald Reuel) Tolkien
http://mail.publicradio.org/site/R?i=awJK45aecX3az0hHrLMpXA.. , born in South Africa (1892). His family came back to England after his father died and his mother taught him Latin and converted him to Catholicism. She died when he was twelve and friends said he stayed a Catholic and continued to study languages in her memory.

He went on to philology, or the study of the derivation of languages,
at Oxford, and it was there that he met his friend C.S. Lewis. Lewis
later said, "At my first coming into the world, I had been warned
never to trust a [Catholic], and at my first coming into the English
Faculty, never to trust a philologist. Tolkien was both." Despite
Lewis' suspicion they took to one another right away and with a number
of other men formed The Inklings, a group of writers who met in a
local pub each week to talk about books and read aloud what they'd
been writing. Lewis and Tolkien often talked late into the night about
the idea that books could be "morally serious fantasy," dressing
correct theology in the clothing of a ripping good tale.

Tolkien's idea for a novel came from his love for language. He was
fluent in Classical Greek and Latin, Old Norse, Old English, medieval
Welsh and Anglo-Saxon and an ancient form of German called Gothic,
among other ancient European languages. He was so interested in the
structure of language that he decided to invent an entire language of
his own. He even invented a new alphabet to write in that language and
when he began writing Lord of the Rings, he gave that new language to
the Elves calling it "High Elvish." He later said, "I wrote Lord of
the Rings to provide a world for the language... I should have
preferred to write the entire book in Elvish."

Many critics now consider Lord of the Rings to be one of the greatest
fantasy novels ever written. It's the story of Bilbo Baggins, a lowly
hobbit who sets out on a quest to destroy a magic ring so that it
cannot fall into the hands of the evil Sauron.

It took Tolkien twelve years to write The Lord of the Rings, in part
because he was a great procrastinator and refused to take any time off
to work on the book. He was constantly stopping his writing in order
to research various details he wanted to include, such as the proper
way to stew a rabbit. He wrote to his editor more than once to say
that he wasn't sure he could finish the book, but after twelve years
he had finally done it. He wrote, "It is written... in my life-blood."

Tolkien wasn't sure anyone would want to read The Lord of the Rings
since it was hardly the children's book his editor had asked for. He
wrote, "My work has escaped from my control. I have produced a
monster... a complex, rather bitter and rather terrifying romance. I
now wonder whether many beyond my friends would read anything so
long."

The book was moderately successful when the first volume came out in
1954, but it didn't become a huge bestseller until the 1960's when
American college students fell in love with it and psychedelic rock
bands like Led Zeppelin began writing songs about it. Tolkein never
enjoyed having become a cult figure in his own lifetime. He tried to
live quietly for the rest of his life.

J.R.R. Tolkein said, "Literature stops in 1100. After that it's only
books."

He once said, "I am in fact, a hobbit in all but size. I like gardens,
trees and unmechanized farmlands. I smoke a pipe and like good plain
food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking. I am fond of
mushrooms (out of a field).... I go to bed late and get up late (when
possible). I do not travel much."

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Kong
« Reply #203 on: January 03, 2006, 09:53:12 AM »
So I saw King Kong Sunday.  I really enjoyed it, well beyond expectations.  It was a bit long, but I thought it moved well enough.  The special effects were awesome, and the girl (don't remember the actresses name) was a wonder.  She made the movie for me.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #204 on: January 03, 2006, 10:30:11 AM »
mike and i saw mrs. henderson presents yesterday. a cute film. some great lines, and great tension between the dench and bob hoskins. nice story. i tried to go see good night and good luck afterwards, but it was sold out. all of the people meant to see brokeback at embarcadero bought tics since their first choice was sold out. so i rented and watched a mi madre le gusta las mujeres and far from heaven. the spanish film was quite entertaining, and we all know julianne moore rocks.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #205 on: January 03, 2006, 10:42:54 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
mike and i saw mrs. henderson presents yesterday. a cute film. some great lines, and great tension between the dench and bob hoskins. nice story. i tried to go see good night and good luck afterwards, but it was sold out. all of the people meant to see brokeback at embarcadero bought tics since their first choice was sold out. so i rented and watched a mi madre le gusta las mujeres and far from heaven. the spanish film was quite entertaining, and we all know julianne moore rocks.

Oh my, Far From Heaven. I went in expecting to not like it (I thought it would be really arch) and I LOVED it.  Mr Haysbert -- every time I see one of his Allstate commercials, I swoon.  Good hands indeed.
He played a similar role (saintly black man meets troubled white woman) opposite Michelle Pfeiffer in Love Field.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #206 on: January 03, 2006, 10:51:44 AM »

Oh my, Far From Heaven. I went in expecting to not like it (I thought it would be really arch) and I LOVED it.  Mr Haysbert -- every time I see one of his Allstate commercials, I swoon.  Good hands indeed.
He played a similar role (saintly black man meets troubled white woman) opposite Michelle Pfeiffer in Love Field.

mmm...good hands, good voice. i've never seen love field, but he certainly met the pretty person requirement for waiting to exhale.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #207 on: January 03, 2006, 11:01:16 AM »

mmm...good hands, good voice. i've never seen love field, but he certainly met the pretty person requirement for waiting to exhale.

Coming soon: Freedomland, Julianne Moore with Samuel L Jackson!  "Buy my beer, bitch!"

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #208 on: January 03, 2006, 11:20:00 AM »
Also watched The 40 Year Old Virgin last night.  Woohoo!  That's good movie makin' right there!
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #209 on: January 03, 2006, 11:44:00 AM »
Far From Heaven was a great film. The art direction was amazing as was the acting. Good script, too.

I'm so out-of-it, movie-wise. I need some time to see some flicks, dammit!
nakes? On my plane?