Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 536037 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #180 on: December 13, 2005, 08:45:32 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
We saw The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe, kids loved it, parents loved it.

a second opinion from Time Magazine:

"Well, the beavers are cute. And that about exhausts the felicities of the Disney version of C.S. Lewis' allegorical Christian fantasy about the siblings who find a realm of wonder and peril in the back of a strange armoire. The child actors are mostly grating; the pacing is a thing of lurches and languors; and Swinton, usually an actress of molten power, tamps herself down as the villainous White Witch, so that she seems less a malefic force of nature than a frosty schoolmarm. Director Adamson, fresh from the Shrek megahits, should stick to animation; his live-action work is not in the least lively.

Disney is trying to lure the disparate audiences of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (kids) and The Passion of the Christ (Evangelicals). But on either level, Narnia fails. There's no fire, no passion and not much fun."

I'll see it anyway :wink:
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #181 on: December 14, 2005, 10:03:02 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
You never saw Monster's Ball?  If you did but forgot, Heath was Billy Bob's son.  That was the first time I realized he could actually act & was not just a pretty boy.

NEVER mention Halle Berry movies to the princess.  Nasty, unpleasant memories.

indeed! but it was a hot sex scene. even if it was filthy.

yes, i remember heath from that film. thanks!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #182 on: December 14, 2005, 10:39:33 AM »
Ever the contrarian, Mick LaSalle HATES-HATES-HATES the otherwise-acclaimed new Kong:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/12/14/DDGR7G6V9V1.DTL

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #183 on: December 19, 2005, 10:37:15 PM »
OK, this is a little weird... I saw Brokeback on Saturday. Thought it was pretty great; powerful and moving. And yet I didn't cry, tho' quite a few folks in the theater did.

But I did choke up a bit at the wonderful The Family Stone, which I loved. I'm a bit baffled by the mixed reviews it's getting. Underrated gem of the season, sez me.  Bonus: not one but TWO Jefferson Starship songs on the soundtrack!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #184 on: December 21, 2005, 09:58:11 PM »
OK, this is a little weird... I saw Brokeback on Saturday. Thought it was pretty great; powerful and moving. And yet I didn't cry, tho' quite a few folks in the theater did.

Saw it tonight, on a date with an actor who just returned from a touring production of The Producers.  "Powerful" is indeed the best word to describe it in every way -- Ang Lee did his job well.  My only gripes were (1) Jake's mustache in his later life was so cheesy as to be unbelievable, though I'm quite aware of how many guys wore them like that at that time; and (2) the background/setting music choices were uninspired.  Lee missed an opportunity to reflect the passing of time (evolving trends, the simple fact of "what year is it now?") with the music, La Ronstadt's "It's So Easy" being the only contempo indicator.  Yes, the music is that important to me even when I'm out on a movie date.

Much for me to process -- there were some behaviors and concepts that hit a little close to home for me -- so I'll leave it at that for now.  I think Heath's accolades are fully warranted (he did a magma job embodying his age through the years) and can see now why he's getting Oscar buzz and Jake isn't.  Their ways of relating to each other verbally and physically struck me as very natural, though I've heard a couple critics argue otherwise.  I do think you need to have lived in a rural environment to really get their motivations.  And Lee's vista shots are nothing short of admirable and breathtaking.

Damn, reviewing movies is hard.  I'll stick to CDs and the occasional play.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #185 on: December 22, 2005, 07:25:53 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

Saw it tonight, on a date with an actor who just returned from a touring production of The Producers.  "Powerful" is indeed the best word to describe it in every way -- Ang Lee did his job well.  My only gripes were (1) Jake's mustache in his later life was so cheesy as to be unbelievable, though I'm quite aware of how many guys wore them like that at that time; and (2) the background/setting music choices were uninspired.  Lee missed an opportunity to reflect the passing of time (evolving trends, the simple fact of "what year is it now?") with the music, La Ronstadt's "It's So Easy" being the only contempo indicator.  Yes, the music is that important to me even when I'm out on a movie date.

Much for me to process -- there were some behaviors and concepts that hit a little close to home for me -- so I'll leave it at that for now.  I think Heath's accolades are fully warranted (he did a magma job embodying his age through the years) and can see now why he's getting Oscar buzz and Jake isn't.  Their ways of relating to each other verbally and physically struck me as very natural, though I've heard a couple critics argue otherwise.  I do think you need to have lived in a rural environment to really get their motivations.  And Lee's vista shots are nothing short of admirable and breathtaking.

Damn, reviewing movies is hard.  I'll stick to CDs and the occasional play.

Agreed on some of the music choices -- I liked the background score but Steve Earle's "The Devil's Right Hand" (for one example) is from 1988 and therefore wouldn't've been on any jukebox in the early '80s, and mistakes like that drive me crazy.  But I thought the choice of Willie's version of "He Was a Friend of Mine" for the closing credits was inspired.

Apparently the Bernie Taupin song Emmylou Harris sings is ineligible for an Oscar because the entire song is not heard in the film.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #186 on: December 22, 2005, 10:24:34 AM »
But I thought the choice of Willie's version of "He Was a Friend of Mine" for the closing credits was inspired.

Right, right, right you are; thanks for reminding me.  Indeed, I said as much to Stuart as we were leaving.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #187 on: December 22, 2005, 10:44:45 AM »
But I thought the choice of Willie's version of "He Was a Friend of Mine" for the closing credits was inspired.

Right, right, right you are; thanks for reminding me.  Indeed, I said as much to Stuart as we were leaving.

Bunch of Dylan songs in North Country too. Bobby's workin' that catalog.

Anonymous

The Movie Thread
« Reply #188 on: December 22, 2005, 11:51:29 AM »

Bunch of Dylan songs in North Country too. Bobby's workin' that catalog.

As Xgau would say, mortality's a bitch.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #189 on: December 26, 2005, 08:16:16 PM »
But I did choke up a bit at the wonderful The Family Stone, which I loved. I'm a bit baffled by the mixed reviews it's getting. Underrated gem of the season, sez me.  Bonus: not one but TWO Jefferson Starship songs on the soundtrack!

I saw it today, on a bit of a whim.  Sledgehammers on all sides.  The scene with Luke Wilson and Sarah Jessica Parker in the old-school bar with the 1975-centric jukebox was heaven for me.  Dermot Mulroney always has a SH effect on me -- he reminds me, looks-wise, a lot of my friend Victor, with whom I was falling in love just around the time I saw Point of No Return for the first time.  He's aged well, in a role that I have to assume was first offered to the younger Brendan Fraser.  And Claire Danes, in an underexplored role, has recaptured so much of her magic, and the longer hair flatters her.  Most perfect smile ever.  I'm still half-convinced that she and the girl who plays Donna on "That 70s Show" are the same person.  I'm glad I saw the film during the Christmas season but I wish I hadn't been alone and single in doing so.  (I'm casually dating someone right now but my heart's not in it in the slightest.)  The entire experience is filed under "if only I'd believe in miracles, I'd get by."

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #190 on: December 26, 2005, 08:19:05 PM »
Quote from: "Anonymous"
As Xgau would say, mortality's a bitch.

"Xgau"? Damn, now there's a War on Christgau!  Alert Bill O'Reilly!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #191 on: December 26, 2005, 08:55:53 PM »

I saw it today, on a bit of a whim.  Sledgehammers on all sides.  The scene with Luke Wilson and Sarah Jessica Parker in the old-school bar with the 1975-centric jukebox was heaven for me.  Dermot Mulroney always has a SH effect on me -- he reminds me, looks-wise, a lot of my friend Victor, with whom I was falling in love just around the time I saw Point of No Return for the first time.  He's aged well, in a role that I have to assume was first offered to the younger Brendan Fraser.  And Claire Danes, in an underexplored role, has recaptured so much of her magic, and the longer hair flatters her.  Most perfect smile ever.  I'm still half-convinced that she and the girl who plays Donna on "That 70s Show" are the same person.  I'm glad I saw the film during the Christmas season but I wish I hadn't been alone and single in doing so.  (I'm casually dating someone right now but my heart's not in it in the slightest.)  The entire experience is filed under "if only I'd believe in miracles, I'd get by."

Glad ya liked it, and I totally agree about Ms Danes -- I've always liked her but I just HATED Shopgirl. She's much better here.

And now, Mike's Xmas Weekend Movie Roundup...

King Kong: well, I didn't hate it the way Mick LaSalle did, but it's easily the most overrated movie of the season.  Great CGI work, and Naomi Watts is amazingly good, but no way it needed to be THREE F***ING HOURS. The first hour is loaded with bad, hokey dialogue; the second hour (on Skull Island) is exciting but all the effects sequences (dinosaurs, giant insects etc) go on too long.  OK, Mr Jackson, we get it -- you saw Jurassic Park and wanted to top it. I'm really amazed at how many intelligent critics have this on their 10-Best lists.

Narnia: On a sheer fantasy-movie level, I really enjoyed it.  It's beautifully filmed, Tilda Swinton rules, and the Britishness of it all covers a multitude of (you should pardon the expression) sins. But as an agnostic who's never read the books, the whole Aslan-as-Christ-figure thing seems a tad overwrought to me, and any "Christian allegory" that involves epic battles and bloodshed just creeps me out --  yes, I know, it was written during WWII and Lewis was talking about Fascism, but the fundies clearly think WE are the White Witch's minions (*shudder*).

Munich: Wow. Very powerful, and as underrated as Kong is overrated. Lots of crits have been lukewarm but I think it's terrific and really has something to say about the moral implications of revenge.

Memoirs of a Geisha: Not good. Soapy and dull. But Asian drag queens everywhere will want to own the DVD.   And here's a paradox for ya: this Oscar season, a gay Western love story was directed by a straight Asian man, and this story about Asian women is directed by a gay white man. Go figure.

Casanova: this was a relief after Geisha. It's enjoyable, well-played fluff, with the Catholic Church the butt of many jokes.  And Heath Ledger, playing the complete opposite of his Brokeback role, will definitely get points from the Academy.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #192 on: December 27, 2005, 07:40:21 AM »
Almost forgot: Most Intriguing Movie Trailer I saw this weekend --

Kirsten Dunst IS Marie Antoinette! Written and directed by Sofia Coppola!  Co-starring Jason Schwartzman (and when I think Revolutionary France, I always think Jason Schwartzman, don't you?).

Anyway the trailer has no dialogue, just scenes from the film set to (of all things) New Order's "Age of Consent". Very strange. It's not coming out until next fall.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #193 on: December 27, 2005, 10:21:54 AM »

Narnia: On a sheer fantasy-movie level, I really enjoyed it.  It's beautifully filmed, Tilda Swinton rules, and the Britishness of it all covers a multitude of (you should pardon the expression) sins. But as an agnostic who's never read the books, the whole Aslan-as-Christ-figure thing seems a tad overwrought to me, and any "Christian allegory" that involves epic battles and bloodshed just creeps me out --  yes, I know, it was written during WWII and Lewis was talking about Fascism, but the fundies clearly think WE are the White Witch's minions (*shudder*).

Yeah, well, the fundies didn't make the movie, and C.S. Lewis would have nothing to do with them if he were here today.  If anything he'd say Dr. Dobson & his ilk are the White Witch's minions, not us right-minded folk.  My dad is something of an expert on Lewis, and pretty much everything he wrote is on my dad's bookshelf.

This is a film where not having read the book is a real handicap.  But several negative reviewers, who so obviously didn't read the book, fail to admit such & it makes their reviews just a joke (imho). If they got the movie they imply should have been made, I guarantee it would have sucked horribly.

I agree about the amped up battle scene though, in the book that was fought by maybe a few hundred on each side, not tens of thousands, and in any case the battle was not described as it happended, but only after the fact by Peter talking to Aslan.

I think I'll treeat myself to a long lunch & see Munich today.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #194 on: December 27, 2005, 10:34:26 AM »

Yeah, well, the fundies didn't make the movie, and C.S. Lewis would have nothing to do with them if he were here today.  If anything he'd say Dr. Dobson & his ilk are the White Witch's minions, not us right-minded folk.  My dad is something of an expert on Lewis, and pretty much everything he wrote is on my dad's bookshelf.

This is a film where not having read the book is a real handicap.  But several negative reviewers, who so obviously didn't read the book, fail to admit such & it makes their reviews just a joke (imho). If they got the movie they imply should have been made, I guarantee it would have sucked horribly.

I agree about the amped up battle scene though, in the book that was fought by maybe a few hundred on each side, not tens of thousands, and in any case the battle was not described as it happended, but only after the fact by Peter talking to Aslan.

I think I'll treeat myself to a long lunch & see Munich today.

Well, I certainly hope you're right about Mr Lewis. But technically the fundies did have a hand in making the film, as it was co-financed by Walden Media, owned by a very conservative Christian gazillionaire.  Hope you like Munich as much as I did.