Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 536054 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #165 on: December 02, 2005, 10:03:50 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
Quote from: "Rod"
Quote from: "RGMike"
I'm taking bets on how many critics this week embellish their reviews of AeonFlux with some variation on "Aeon Sux".

No reviews at all -- which is a REALLY bad sign.

couldn't be as bad as zabriskie point. moral of the film: "cops are bad, breasts are good."

actually, that's the moral of AeonFlux too.  Plus, it has Frances McDormand with the worst hairdo in the history of cinema.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #166 on: December 02, 2005, 09:59:11 PM »
Surprise! at least one critic (David Edelstein) says Flux Don't Sux:

http://www.slate.com/id/2130909/

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #167 on: December 08, 2005, 02:04:15 PM »
hey, mike, are you up for some gay cowboys on saturday or sunday matinee?

morriseey just sang to me on itunes: "some girls' mothers are bigger than other girls' mothers."

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #168 on: December 08, 2005, 02:50:22 PM »

Sorry, we're doing BBM next weekend. This weekend will be too crowded, it's only at Embarcadero and every gay guy in town will be there -- I'd be surprised if it isn't already sold out, in fact.    I'm doing the Clooney Fri nite at the Empire.  And "Geisha" looks like Asian drag queen heaven.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #169 on: December 08, 2005, 03:02:35 PM »

Sorry, we're doing BBM next weekend. This weekend will be too crowded, it's only at Embarcadero and every gay guy in town will be there -- I'd be surprised if it isn't already sold out, in fact.    I'm doing the Clooney Fri nite at the Empire.  And "Geisha" looks like Asian drag queen heaven.

were i not gigging friday night, i'd join you in clooney...

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #170 on: December 12, 2005, 06:50:43 AM »

saw brokeback yesterday - excellent! not to be missed! i'd never seen heath before. he gave an awesome performance.
and you were right about sold-out shows, and all the gay boys.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #171 on: December 12, 2005, 06:55:24 AM »

saw brokeback yesterday - excellent! not to be missed! i'd never seen heath before. he gave an awesome performance.

"The drag queens, the speed freaks, all the homo boys sing 'touch me baby tainted love' ..." -- Linda Perry, "Fruitloop Daydream"
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #172 on: December 12, 2005, 07:42:09 AM »

I saw the Clooney in Syriana, which is excellent but VERY dark. The good guys don't win.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #173 on: December 12, 2005, 03:31:50 PM »

You never saw Monster's Ball?  If you did but forgot, Heath was Billy Bob's son.  That was the first time I realized he could actually act & was not just a pretty boy.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #174 on: December 12, 2005, 03:48:46 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"
You never saw Monster's Ball?  If you did but forgot, Heath was Billy Bob's son.  That was the first time I realized he could actually act & was not just a pretty boy.

NEVER mention Halle Berry movies to the princess.  Nasty, unpleasant memories.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #175 on: December 12, 2005, 03:59:53 PM »
We saw The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe, kids loved it, parents loved it.

Don't know about what these boooks meant to you guys, but my dad read them all the way through to my brothers & me when we were real little (and usually my younger brothers would fall asleep before he got to the end of the chapter), and he read them all again a couple years later.  I think the second time around I partly taught myself how to read by following along over his shoulder.  I read them again in college and now that my boys are old enough for 'chapter books' I have been continuing the tradition.  We finished TLTW&TW and are nearly done with Prince Caspian, so the boys have been very eager to see the film.

I can't speak for anyone else because Narnia was a central part of my earliest & fondest memories & probably shaped a lot of my imagination.  It certainly led to my lifelong love for specualtive fiction.  But, imho, this qualifies as one of the most perfectly executed adaptations of a famous book in movie history.  For me it plays almost exactly on screen as it has so many times in my head.  They left nothing out, and only added a couple of elements that really enhance the key plot points.  The four children are nearly perfectly cast, although Lucy ought to have had fairer hair.  The CGI is so good that you completely don't notice it.  Aslan, Mr. & Mrs. Beaver, Tumnus, et al are such seemless & realistic images on screen that there's practically no disbelief to suspend.  And unlike Lord of the Rings, the EFX aren't dazzling in and of themselves, and thus don't remind you that you are in a movie theater.

I had Gabriel, my not-quite-4-yr-old, on my lap most of the show & he was really into it, kept asking me questions, but for the most part when I told him to shush & just watch he did so.  At one point he was a little frightened and I told him it was all okay, and Christina (sitting on the other side of Adrian, my soon-to-be-6-yr-old) asked what was bothering him.  Before I could answer, Adrian said, "He's an emotional child".  Not disdainfully, mind you, just be way of explanation.  Cracked me up.

Later after Aslan has made his sacrifice & Lucy & Susan are sitting there crying, Gabriel started to cry too, and he said, "Daddy, when's the table going to break?"  Of course just as he spoke it was completely silent & and everyone within 20 feet must have heard.  Then one second later came the great CRACK of the table breaking.  Perfect timing.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #176 on: December 12, 2005, 04:29:40 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"
We saw The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe, kids loved it, parents loved it.

Don't know about what these boooks meant to you guys, but my dad read them all the way through to my brothers & me when we were real little (and usually my younger brothers would fall asleep before he got to the end of the chapter), and he read them all again a couple years later.  I think the second time around I partly taught myself how to read by following along over his shoulder.  I read them again in college and now that my boys are old enough for 'chapter books' I have been continuing the tradition.  We finished TLTW&TW and are nearly done with Prince Caspian, so the boys have been very eager to see the film.

I can't speak for anyone else because Narnia was a central part of my earliest & fondest memories & probably shaped a lot of my imagination.  It certainly led to my lifelong love for specualtive fiction.  But, imho, this qualifies as one of the most perfectly executed adaptations of a famous book in movie history.  For me it plays almost exactly on screen as it has so many times in my head.  They left nothing out, and only added a couple of elements that really enhance the key plot points.  The four children are nearly perfectly cast, although Lucy ought to have had fairer hair.  The CGI is so good that you completely don't notice it.  Aslan, Mr. & Mrs. Beaver, Tumnus, et al are such seemless & realistic images on screen that there's practically no disbelief to suspend.  And unlike Lord of the Rings, the EFX aren't dazzling in and of themselves, and thus don't remind you that you are in a movie theater.

I had Gabriel, my not-quite-4-yr-old, on my lap most of the show & he was really into it, kept asking me questions, but for the most part when I told him to shush & just watch he did so.  At one point he was a little frightened and I told him it was all okay, and Christina (sitting on the other side of Adrian, my soon-to-be-6-yr-old) asked what was bothering him.  Before I could answer, Adrian said, "He's an emotional child".  Not disdainfully, mind you, just be way of explanation.  Cracked me up.

Later after Aslan has made his sacrifice & Lucy & Susan are sitting there crying, Gabriel started to cry too, and he said, "Daddy, when's the table going to break?"  Of course just as he spoke it was completely silent & and everyone within 20 feet must have heard.  Then one second later came the great CRACK of the table breaking.  Perfect timing.

Dude, glad you dug TLTW&TW as much as you obviously did. I am told it's a great story and I expect to be seeing it soon, as Sarah, like you, grew up having it read to her. But I didn't, so I gotta remind you to PLEASE post a spoiler warning before giving away plot points like that. I'm not sure if that was a significant point or not, so if not, I apologize for taking you to task, but I have a feeling it might have been.

But Adrian's line about his brother was HILARIOUS. Out o' the mouths of babes....
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Narnia
« Reply #177 on: December 12, 2005, 07:43:00 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
I gotta remind you to PLEASE post a spoiler warning before giving away plot points like that. I'm not sure if that was a significant point or not, so if not, I apologize for taking you to task, but I have a feeling it might have been.

good point.  I never read these books as a child, but I have great memories of reading them to my kids, and look forward to seeing the movie too.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #178 on: December 12, 2005, 09:35:53 PM »
I have NO recollection of the book but my Mom says I read it. I think I've blocked a lot out! I thought my kids might be too young for it but based upon your review, I'll make it a movie to see. I also have Brokeback on my list and no one to go with so that'll be a solo thang.
Sharks bleed teal.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #179 on: December 12, 2005, 11:52:10 PM »
I have an abstract memory of seeing an animated interp of TLTW&TW in the late '70s, couldn't say if I read the book, though I imagine it was read to me.  (Unrelated aside: Do any of you have any knowledge/memory of a children's book from the early '70s about a tall building where someone in the penthouse drops something and it frightens the person on the (99th?) floor to drop something, which in turn alarms the person on the (98th?) floor, and so on, perhaps with a principal character named Eleanor?  A piece of my childhood that I've strained to recover for years, and even Google can't help me.)  Anyway, planning to see Brokeback after the Chelsea queens have had their way with it, assuming the fundies don't campaign to burn all the theaters that are showing it.

"He's an emotional boy!"
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”