Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 514585 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #210 on: January 03, 2006, 12:20:20 PM »
Several notes:

Geoff, thanks for posting that bit on Tolkien, but who in his right mind gets into that much detail and then says that Bilbo is the main character in LotR who sets out to destroy the Ring?   :roll:

Rod, that's Naomi Watts.  You need to go watch Mulholland Drive & 21 Grams so you won't forget her name anymore.   :)

We planned to see Brokeback Mountain on New Year's Eve, but didn't realize that it was still in such limited release that we'd have to drive all over creation to get to it.  Hopefully it gets to the megaplex soon.

Last week I saw (& highly recommend) Munich.  Quite possibly Spielberg's best acheivement as a director.  A hard movie to say that you 'enjoyed', to say that would probably mean that you missed the point.  But many parts of it are stunning, and Michael Lonsdale (Hugo Drax in Moonraker) steals every scene he's in.  Also of note is that Eric (Incredibel Hulk) Bana can really act, and Ciaran Hinds, who plays Casear on HBO's Rome, is awesome.

Still hoping to see Syriana.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #211 on: January 03, 2006, 01:35:06 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Last week I saw (& highly recommend) Munich.  Quite possibly Spielberg's best acheivement as a director.  A hard movie to say that you 'enjoyed', to say that would probably mean that you missed the point.  But many parts of it are stunning, and Michael Lonsdale (Hugo Drax in Moonraker) steals every scene he's in.  Also of note is that Eric (Incredibel Hulk) Bana can really act, and Ciaran Hinds, who plays Casear on HBO's Rome, is awesome.

Still hoping to see Syriana.

Glad you liked Munich; if I made a 10-best list it'd be on it.

I'm wondering if you and the missus have seen (or indeed have any desire to see) Memoirs of a Geisha.

And I'll mention again (since I orig did it in a 10@10 thread) that I enjoyed Breakfast on Pluto, which has a soundtrack to make Gaz cream his jeans.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #212 on: January 03, 2006, 01:43:58 PM »
I'm such a sap. All three movies I saw made me cry. Yesterday I made it to the Family Stone. A mother dying got to me. I was disappointed SJP remained in at the end. Why wasn't she just run off? Did she relocate to Berkeley with the brother or did he move back to town? I don't really care but it didn't make sense.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #213 on: January 03, 2006, 02:18:19 PM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
I was disappointed SJP remained in at the end. Why wasn't she just run off? Did she relocate to Berkeley with the brother or did he move back to town? I don't really care but it didn't make sense.

She was redeemed by the love of a good man!  (just as Dermot Mulroney was redeemed by the love of Claire Danes.)  I think SJP moved to Berkeley and opened a successful chain of organic coffee roasteries :wink:

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #214 on: January 05, 2006, 08:04:01 AM »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #215 on: January 09, 2006, 11:33:35 AM »
The Chicago Tribune's "15 Ways to Fix the Oscars":

Choosing Jon Stewart as host is a fine start to improve the ever-sagging Oscar telecast. But, hey, don't stop there. The Tempo Subcommittee To Preserve Awards Shows has 15 more suggestions:

1. No musical numbers. No, really. Seriously. Unless they're performed by the academy's accountants -- that might be entertaining.

2. Live voting on the best Oscar gown, with a show the next night crowning the winners and losers. It works for "American Idol" and "Dancing With the Stars." And all we really care about is the fashion anyway.

3. No more than 20 "Brokeback Mountain" jokes. We're eager to see what Stewart and his crew will do with the gay cowboy movie, but we're thinking some sort of quota might be healthy.

4. Move telecast to HBO. The more profanities, the better.

5. Skip the best song award; instead, nominees get bus tickets to Grammy Awards.

6. Install a trapdoor behind the podium for long-winded winners. The orchestra playing loudly just isn't working.

7. Shorten the show: Two hours tops. It notoriously runs more than three hours, sometimes four. So, at 1 hour, 59 minutes, the orchestra starts playing. Sixty seconds later, cut to commercial. If that doesn't leave enough time for best picture award, save it for next year.

8. Get Andy Samberg and Chris Parnell to present. They saved "SNL," didn't they?

9. Kathy Griffin has been kicked off the E! red-carpet broadcast in favor of Ryan Seacrest, which is just wrong on so many levels. How about putting Griffin inside the auditorium as a roving correspondent? Because egomaniac stars just think her pomposity-puncturing humor is sooooo funny.

10. Show audience shots that cover more than just the front rows. How many close-ups of Joaquin Phoenix and Charlize Theron will we need? Where's Johnny Knoxville sitting?

11. Have Prof. John Frink (scientist geek on "The Simpsons") announce the technical achievement awards.

12. The academy president doesn't need to talk. He just doesn't.

13. Eliminate scripted banter. What's the point of pairing Shirley MacLaine and Don Cheadle as presenters if they just read lame material from a teleprompter. Let them wing it and add some suspense to the evening.

14. Let Jon Stewart protege Stephen Colbert interview stars on the red carpet, presenting them with an ego that is way bigger than even the most overpaid actor's.

15. More cowbell!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #216 on: January 12, 2006, 07:38:35 AM »
Saw The Matador last nite (Pierce Brosnan as a washed-up hit-man). Very entertaining. Any movie that plays the Jam's "Town Called Malice" over the opening credits is OK by me.  Of course, Asia's "Heat of the Moment" is on the sndtk too. Dude, it's Prog Brosnan!

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #217 on: January 16, 2006, 09:43:30 AM »
mike, i can't believe you didn't like the shipping news! easily one of my favorite movies.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #218 on: January 16, 2006, 09:48:02 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
mike, i can't believe you didn't like the shipping news! easily one of my favorite movies.

But can you imagine it with Travolta? Yikes!

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #219 on: January 16, 2006, 10:01:18 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

But can you imagine it with Travolta? Yikes!

a musical number would have ruined the film.

travolta opposite dench? appalling.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #220 on: January 16, 2006, 10:02:17 AM »

I saw it sometime back.  Throughout I was thinking "I bet this was a really good book."  So, I liked it for what it was trying to do, but it didn't work completely as a movie.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #221 on: January 16, 2006, 10:04:15 AM »
my recent views:

The Assasination of Richard Nixon (Sean Penn, creepy!!! why wasn't there more mention of Samuel Byck after 9/11?)
The Shipping News (one of my favorite films)
Red Eye (great Wes Craven film)
Broken Flowers (saw it in the theatre and really liked it; rented it, and really only liked the characters, not so much the story)
The Hours (watch again and again and again)
De-lovely (difficult to watch, but, oh! the music! And Ashley Judd!)
A Mi Madre le Gusta las Mujeres (Excellent!)
Elizabeth (a bit tedious, but Cate Blanchett rules)
Syriana (great! great! great!)
Mrs. Henderson Presents (a cute film; great electricity between Dench and Hoskins; do the wonders of Christopher Guest ever cease?)
Goodbye, Lenin! (a must-see!)
Hotel Rwanda (like any other movie of its kind you've seen, only this one stars Americans, Jean Reno speaks English, and Lumumba doesn't die at the end)
Kitchen Stories (just watch it, already!)
Ocean's Twelve (i stopped watching it after half an hour)
3 Women (what could be stranger than Shelley Duvall and Cissy Spacek?? a very odd film, but Duvall has some great lines)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #222 on: January 16, 2006, 10:13:40 AM »
Agreed on all except Shipping ... and actually, I thought De-Lovely was horrendous despite Ms Judd. I've never seen 3 Women, amazingly.

So are you up for Albert Brooks this weekend?  I'm looking to do it Fri nite at the Empire, assuming it's in the big auditorium.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #223 on: January 16, 2006, 10:32:33 AM »
Agreed on all except Shipping ... and actually, I thought De-Lovely was horrendous despite Ms Judd. I've never seen 3 Women, amazingly.

So are you up for Albert Brooks this weekend?  I'm looking to do it Fri nite at the Empire, assuming it's in the big auditorium.

yes, you're right. it was horrendous, even with ashley. at least she was pretty.

looking for comedy in the muslim world? no, thanks. i have a feeling it's going to be horrible. i don't think i even want to see it on video. you let me know what you think, though. i don't know what's in the theatre now that i'd want to see. anyhoo, i'm headed to tahoe this weekend for my first snowboarding expedition.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #224 on: January 16, 2006, 10:37:44 AM »

yes, you're right. it was horrendous, even with ashley. at least she was pretty.

looking for comedy in the muslim world? no, thanks. i have a feeling it's going to be horrible. i don't think i even want to see it on video. you let me know what you think, though. i don't know what's in the theatre now that i'd want to see. anyhoo, i'm headed to tahoe this weekend for my first snowboarding expedition.

Break a leg! oh no, wait, that's the wrong thing to say.

I suspect you'll want to see Samuel L Jackson and Julianne Moore in Freedomland next month.