Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 536164 times)

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #135 on: August 26, 2005, 08:58:59 AM »
yesterday was a do-nothing day, and my brother and i watched the following films:

coming to america - i can't ever pass this one by. just genius. genius! and garcelle beauvais plays a flower bearer. hot.

sommersby - don't tell, but i like richard more than jodie in this one. and when i say, "like," i mean, "lust after."

beauty shop - speaking of lusting, have you seen rudy huxtable lately? i thought what i felt for the olsen twins, but this is several degrees more unwholesome...damn. oh, the movie is hilarious!

old boy - an action-packed, psychological thriller with oodles of violence! a really effed-up story that gets you at the end. excellent film.

ring 2 - snore bore. i'm so sick of little kids who are supposed to be scary. there will never be another rhoda!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #136 on: August 26, 2005, 09:06:18 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
yesterday was a do-nothing day, and my brother and i watched the following films:

sommersby - don't tell, but i like richard more than jodie in this one. and when i say, "like," i mean, "lust after."

presumably you've seen the original (and superior) French version, Return of Martin Guerre, avec Monsieur Depardieu?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #137 on: August 26, 2005, 09:09:57 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

presumably you've seen the original (and superior) French version, Return of Martin Guerre, avec Monsieur Depardieu?

nope. i'll have to check it out! though i'd have a hard time believing anyone could mistake depardieu for another person.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #138 on: August 26, 2005, 09:21:58 AM »

nope. i'll have to check it out! though i'd have a hard time believing anyone could mistake depardieu for another person.

his nose has been mistaken for Karl Malden's...

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #139 on: August 26, 2005, 10:18:42 AM »

his nose has been mistaken for Karl Malden's...

are you kidding?  His nose has been mistaken for a whole other person.

:wink:
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #140 on: September 12, 2005, 06:58:58 PM »
Morey Movie Alert!

Next Monday the Castro is showing Xanadu, ONJ, ELO, and all.  I have never seen it.  Has anyone?

I wonder if Dave will go -- it's his first day back from vacay. Nah, he probably has it on laserdisc.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #141 on: September 18, 2005, 11:01:50 AM »
Morey Movie Alert!

Next Monday the Castro is showing Xanadu, ONJ, ELO, and all.  I have never seen it.  Has anyone?

I wonder if Dave will go -- it's his first day back from vacay. Nah, he probably has it on laserdisc.

It's tomo'w nite (9/19). Not only are they showing Xanadu... it's a double-bill with The Wiz!   X at 7pm, W at 8:50. I'm really tempted...

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #142 on: September 18, 2005, 02:21:05 PM »
Morey Movie Alert!

It's tomo'w nite (9/19). Not only are they showing Xanadu... it's a double-bill with The Wiz!   X at 7pm, W at 8:50. I'm really tempted...

You should def go.  Especially if they have a drag-queen host interjecting with MST3K-ish commentary.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #143 on: September 18, 2005, 08:36:57 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Morey Movie Alert!

You should def go.  Especially if they have a drag-queen host interjecting with MST3K-ish commentary.

It's a tough choice -- Zito's pitching against the Twins Mon nite.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #144 on: September 19, 2005, 09:29:16 AM »
Hey didja know Elijah Wood is gonna play Iggy Pop in a biopic?

http://punknews.org/article.php?sid=13680

one wag on a movie geek website said: "Elijah Wood isn't even as big as Iggy Pop's schlong - how's he gonna play Iggy?"

ROTFL!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Hello Down There!
« Reply #145 on: October 27, 2005, 04:29:31 PM »
Anyone heard of this late 60s rock-sploitation flick? I just ran across a description of it on a record-store website, and it sounds kinda groovy. Music by Jeff Barry (Da Do Ron Ron, Sugar Sugar etc.) Cast features Tony Randall, Janet Leigh and Jim Backus and an early appearance by Richard Dreyfus among a typically campy sounding cast.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064417/

Here's the description I read:

Hello Down There– 1969
Struggling garage band Harold and the Hang Ups have just had their latest song run through a song analysis computer and told it is 95% groovy. Now all they gotta work on is that other 5%, and they’ll have themselves a sure-fire million seller. Record producer Nate Ashbury (Roddy McDowell inna far-out Nehru jacket) tells them to come back when they do. Hi-jinks ensue when the band is forced to move to an underwater house built by dad Tony Randall. Uber-cool Dad that he is, he promises the kids the acoustics are perfect for them to create the magic they need to impress that darn computer. And though the evilness inherent in this all-knowing musicomputer is not really highlighted (the band wants nothing more than to please it) it’s quite obvious that what once was a fanciful plot point has now frighteningly become a current tool in the creation of todays latest “hits”. Seriously, I can see Finger Eleven now working their balls off to get that final 5%. As for the movie, the producers hired Jeff Barry to do the music this particular band performs. With song credits ranging from "Da Doo Ron Ron" and "Sugar Sugar" to producing artists such as Dusty Springfield and The Monkees, Mr. Barry was more than adept at supplying the movie with some pretty perfect bubblegum pop songs. The organ driving the propulsive "Glub Glub" is nothing short of a whale sized hook, and more than enough reason for someone to finally put out a soundtrack for this forgotten time-capsule of a movie. And though the DVD is letterboxed with drop-dead gorgeous colors (the sets are amazing!) why, oh why isn’t it in stereo?! Sure, the mono-mix is clean and bright, but with a movie so filled wall to wall in music and sound effects this is more than disappointing. So, you may be asking yourself, besides the most awesome music and sets, what have I got to look forward to when I view Hello Down There? Well, I’ll tell you: You’ll get to see a pre-Jaws, bass-playing, lip-synching Richard Dreyfuss fight sharks! Mom Janet Leigh “Davy Dancing” as well as finding herself wet and screaming in a sly Psycho reference (just replace the plunging knife with a friendly seal). Boozing housekeeper Charlotte Rae (Facts of Life’s Mrs. Garrett) thinking someone slipped acid in her flask when she begins seeing dolphins talk. And finally, the groovy chick keyboard player and zany love bead festooned drummer must be seen by all lovers of 60’s kitch. So, if you got some pocket change (this thing is CHEAP!) and any of the above piqued your interest, by all means treat yourself tonight to a heapin’ helpin’ of Hello Down There.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Hello Down There!
« Reply #146 on: October 27, 2005, 09:49:05 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
Anyone heard of this late 60s rock-sploitation flick? I just ran across a description of it on a record-store website, and it sounds kinda groovy. Music by Jeff Barry (Da Do Ron Ron, Sugar Sugar etc.) Cast features Tony Randall, Janet Leigh and Jim Backus and an early appearance by Richard Dreyfus among a typically campy sounding cast.

Hello Down There– 1969...

I betcha this just moved to the top of Gaz's must-see list.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 27, 2005, 10:40:01 PM »

Mine too. Or at least, it's way up there. I'm still trying to hunt up a copy of Wild in the Streets.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 27, 2005, 11:01:41 PM »

Mine too. Or at least, it's way up there. I'm still trying to hunt up a copy of Wild in the Streets.

Holy madre, that would be a double-feature to die for.  Or at least, to drop for.

Seriously, thank you for calling this to my attention.  And this just might tie in to the 2006 EMP Pop Conference ... muuhhhaaahhh
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 27, 2005, 11:09:01 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

Holy madre, that would be a double-feature to die for.  Or at least, to drop for.

Seriously, thank you for calling this to my attention.  And this just might tie in to the 2006 EMP Pop Conference ... muuhhhaaahhh

If you're going the way I think you're going with this, the Freak Out set we heard a couple weeks back might provide some fodder for your thesis as well. And don't forget The Party, Peter Sellers' fab take on groovy sixties parties.

Birdy Numnum.
Let's get right to it.