Author Topic: Music Acquisitions, Old and New  (Read 43996 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Music Acquisitions, Old and New
« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2010, 09:51:36 AM »
Another round of iTunes single purchases:

Aliotta, Haynes, Jeremiah, "Lake Shore Drive"
Roachford, "Cuddly Toy (Feel for Me)"
Electric Indian, "Keem-O-Sabe" (Mike, did you know Len Barry recorded a vocal version of this?)
Godspell cast, "Day by Day"
Gladys Knight & the Pips, "I Feel a Song (In My Heart)"
The Dells, "I Can Sing a Rainbow / Love Is Blue"
Cass Elliot, "Easy Come, Easy Go"
Jigsaw, "Who Do You Think You Are?"  (The Bo Donaldson & the Heywoods' hit version isn't on iTunes, argh.)

fab stuff -- I adore the Roachford (still have the 45) and especially that Dells medley. But re: Len Barry... was it called "Keem-O-Sabe" or something else? I shudder at the amount of Native American stereotypes they coulda crammed into one 2-1/2 minute lyric. :o
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2010, 09:31:48 PM »
re: Len Barry... was it called "Keem-O-Sabe" or something else? I shudder at the amount of Native American stereotypes they coulda crammed into one 2-1/2 minute lyric. :o

That's indeed the title; I heard only a 10-second snippet, the crux of which was "I'll be your keem-o-sabe."  His interest in Native American cultures was apparently sincere, so I hope he knew better than to make "squaw" references.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2010, 08:39:44 PM »
So, I know Gaz uses iTunes... what other music-download sites do you folks use, recommend (or consider musts-to-avoid)?

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2010, 07:40:29 PM »
So, I know Gaz uses iTunes... what other music-download sites do you folks use, recommend (or consider musts-to-avoid)?
Amazon occasionally.  Sometimes they have things iTunes doesn't have.  Lala has some streaming music that can be easily recorded.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2010, 11:24:00 PM »
Another round of iTunes single purchases:

Gladys Knight & the Pips, "I Feel a Song (In My Heart)"

TANC: JJ on KPOO playing this one at the moment.

"He makes me feel just like a WOO-MUN!
Something that YOU could never do!"

Gladys, have you met Mary MacGregor?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2010, 08:16:33 AM »
Bought a Nancy Sinatra anthol on Amazon. It arrived yesterday and it's a really crappy package -- no notes, it's on a label called Paradiso out of Belgium. It was cheap, and my first thought was Jeez, I hope it's not re-recorded versions. But it's legit, and includes all the Lee Hazlewood duets. I'm having some velvet morning at work!

NTM: her duet with Dean Martin on Bobby Darin's "Things".
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 08:18:32 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2010, 12:39:13 PM »
Not music, but a book about it: Just got the latest Whitburn "Top Pop Singles" (12th Edition), which is on sale at his website right now

https://www.recordresearch.com/pop/top_pop_singles_1955_2008.php

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2010, 09:20:25 PM »
Not music, but a book about it: Just got the latest Whitburn "Top Pop Singles" (12th Edition), which is on sale at his website right now

Ooh.  *Want.*  I'll be adding it to my list soon.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2010, 09:43:17 PM »

Ooh.  *Want.*  I'll be adding it to my list soon.

First time I've bought it in hardcover; wasn't expecting it to be on sale for that price (swear I paid $100 for Top Pop Albums a decade ago).

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 06, 2010, 01:43:16 PM »
Just spent the lunchtime hour listening to this fab Candi Staton best of, all the early FAME label stuff, including "He called Me baby"

http://www.amazon.com/Candi-Staton/dp/B0000DG5N0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1279898971&sr=1-1

Damn it's great stuff.

There were 2 FAME collections to choose from on Amazon; this one has her cover of "In The Ghetto" (which prompted Elvis to write her a laudatory letter) and the other has no "Ghetto" but has a track called "Somethings Burning"; I'm dying to know if it's the Kenny Rogers/First Edition hit (which I could totally imagining Candi nailing).

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 06, 2010, 09:45:11 PM »
Just spent the lunchtime hour listening to this fab Candi Staton best of, all the early FAME label stuff, including "He called Me baby"

http://www.amazon.com/Candi-Staton/dp/B0000DG5N0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1279898971&sr=1-1

Damn it's great stuff.

There were 2 FAME collections to choose from on Amazon; this one has her cover of "In The Ghetto" (which prompted Elvis to write her a laudatory letter) and the other has no "Ghetto" but has a track called "Somethings Burning"; I'm dying to know if it's the Kenny Rogers/First Edition hit (which I could totally imagining Candi nailing).

I expect it is.  TANC: Mac Davis wrote both.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 06, 2010, 10:15:02 PM »

Damn it's great stuff.

I expect it is.  TANC: Mac Davis wrote both.

Did not know that -- is it another song that Elvis turned down? Can certainly imagine him doing it, or that Mac wrote it with him in mind. 

I also got a Warners-era Staton anthol; "Young Hearts", "Victim" and some other fine disco tracks that were NTM.  Sadly not included are her killer covers of the BeeGees' "Nights on B'way" and (even more WTF) the Doobs' "Listen To The Music". Don'cha feel it, girly?

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 26, 2010, 11:58:59 AM »
Record Store Day/Black Friday releases!  Yay!

I just got back from Rasputin's (on Powell St.) and scored the following limited edition vinyl 45's:

Bob Dylan - The Times They Are A-Changing b/w Like A Rolling Stone
Bruce Springsteen - Save My Love b/w Because The Night
Parlophone Box O'45's Sampler featuring new releases by Blur, Kylie Minogue, Hot Chip, Tinie Tempah & Eliza Dootlittle.  

Support your local record stores!   :)

Here's the list of Black Friday limited edition releases:

http://recordstoreday.com/Page/958
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 01:55:41 PM by sundaygal »

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 28, 2010, 11:52:36 AM »
Record Store Day/Black Friday releases!  Yay!
I just got back from Rasputin's (on Powell St.) and scored the following limited edition vinyl 45's:
Bob Dylan - The Times They Are A-Changing b/w Like A Rolling Stone
Bruce Springsteen - Save My Love b/w Because The Night
Parlophone Box O'45's Sampler featuring new releases by Blur, Kylie Minogue, Hot Chip, Tinie Tempah & Eliza Dootlittle.  
Support your local record stores!   :)
Here's the list of Black Friday limited edition releases:
http://recordstoreday.com/Page/958
Thanks for that link.  I work above that Rasputin's which can be mighty tempting, but so far I've kept my spending under control.  And now, a little film on the virtues of mono recordings:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCzi75bhOcI

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 28, 2010, 02:51:09 PM »
I could see resisting the urge to splurge at Rasputin's, but would cave into Blondie's Pizza.  YUM!  I work part-time around the corner on Market St.