Author Topic: Music Acquisitions, Old and New  (Read 43946 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Music Acquisitions, Old and New
« on: December 27, 2006, 10:14:27 AM »
Thanks to all who made the Great Amoeba Run of '06.  A good time was had by all.  Wanted to share my booty with you all.  Er, poorly worded, but you know.

Round One (in the company of Geoff, Urth, and Alicat):
Listen to the Music: '70s Female Singer/Songwriters (bought it for "Diamonds and Rust" and "Someone to Lay Down Beside Me," but other gems on it too)
Storytellers: Singers & Songwriters (bought it for "City of New Orleans" and "Ol' '55," but lots of great stuff on it, including Tom Rush's "The Circle Game," which Geoff had clued me in to the existence of literally minutes prior)
Various Interpretations of Music From Vintage Disney Films (bought on Urth's strong recommendation)
Yoko Ono, Season of Glass (the album she recorded upon John's murder)
Box Tops, The Letter (cheapo GH comp I bought to have "Neon Rainbow," but they do a cool "Whiter Shade of Pale" too)
John Travolta Sings (bought for novelty purposes from the Scientology section of the store [!]).

I am listening to the latter right now, and wow.  It's like John met Pitch at a cocktail party, sniffed his nose and turned the other way.  The Top 10 hit (!) "Let Her In" is a "My Eyes Adored You" knockoff, and he essays covers of Eric Carmen's pretty "Never Gonna Fall in Love Again" and the HFH "Right Time of the Night."  And the album closer? "What Would They Say (Theme From The Boy in the Plastic Bubble)."  As Dave Barry would say, I am not making this up.

CD burns of any of the above available on request, natch.  This club can make for a nice lending library.

Round Two was with the Alicat only, and she had to bail while I was still rooting through the cutout bins:
The Thorns (alt-country harmony album with Matthew Sweet, Shawn Mullins, and Pete Droge)
The New York Rock and Soul Revue - Live at the Beacon (Donald Fagen, Phoebe Snow, Michael McDonald, and other guests)
INXS, Welcome to Wherever You Are (grossly underrated album that includes the hits "Not Enough Time" and "Beautiful Girl")
Liz Phair, Whip-Smart ("Supernova": "And you fuck like a volcano")
KBC Band (and hey Geoff, there's another CD copy of Baron von Tollbooth in the JA/JS stacks, if you're interested)

All this for $52.08.  I am pleased.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Music Acquisitions, Old and New
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 10:25:53 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Various Interpretations of Music From Vintage Disney Films (bought on Urth's strong recommendation)

are you referring to Stay Awake? or is there another Disney-covers collection I don't know about?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 10:31:23 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

are you referring to Stay Awake? or is there another Disney-covers collection I don't know about?

No, that's it, I errantly gave the subtitle instead of the title.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 10:32:24 AM »

Yep, that's the one. Found a copy for $6 in the Tom Waits bin, and since I have two copies in the house already, passed it on to Joe, knowing he would dig it.
Let's get right to it.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 10:57:30 AM »
My only buy was a disc by Earl Greyhound, Soft Targets. I still haven't investigated who the group is but listened to the CD as I drove home. Good guitar and drums. Mostly all songs were OK. For $4.99, I'm happy.

Joe, I burned you a copy of Greyhound, LFTA 13, The Raconteurs, and an Alicat compilation disc. Mail later this week.
Good to see you guys!
Sharks bleed teal.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
My Amoeba grabs
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 12:17:06 PM »
I had to remove myself early, as I bought too many items too fast:

2 Fred Neil collections which pretty much contain ALL the good early stuff.  
Tom Rush's Circle Game (I heard Urge for Going on KFOG the night before!)
Butterfield Blues Band's East/West  (Rod, you need to hear this if you haven't)

MP3's on request!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 09:54:30 AM »
Other holiday acquisitions/gifts:
DVD Blazing Saddles
DVD To Sir With Love
DVD Pulse, Pink Floyd
CD Best of George Harrison
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: My Amoeba grabs
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 10:01:41 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"

Tom Rush's Circle Game (I heard Urge for Going on KFOG the night before!)

Wow, really?  Haven't heard that on the radio in ages.  An FM staple back in the day. I have Joni's version on the B-side of "You Turn Me On, I'm a Radio".

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 02:15:29 PM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
DVD Blazing Saddles
DVD To Sir With Love
DVD Pulse, Pink Floyd

My sister-in-law gave me the 100 Greatest Album covers coffee table book.  Pretty cool.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 04:26:37 PM »
Quote from: "Rod"
Quote from: "Alicat"
DVD Blazing Saddles
DVD To Sir With Love
DVD Pulse, Pink Floyd

My sister-in-law gave me the 100 Greatest Album covers coffee table book.  Pretty cool.

How many of the 100 do you own?
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 11:05:41 AM »
Got a very cool double-CD Kinks: the Ultimate Collection (an import, apparently) at Virgin during their current $10 sale -- a rare case of something being cheaper (new) at the store than it is (used) on Amazon.  It's about 3/4 Reprise stuff, pretty much everything you'd want, and the rest is a smattering of Arista tracks, all of which I have on a "Best of '77-'84" CD that I bought because it included "Father Xmas".  Neither CD has "Sleepwalker" for some odd reason.

And due to continuing buffering issues, I'm catching up on my stack of unlistened-to CDs at work today. Now Playing: a fab Detroit Emeralds GH (also an import) that finally came down in price on Amazon -- it went from 29.99 to 24.99 to 17.99 and it's certainly worth that.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 11:25:28 AM »
Ah, been meaning to list my holiday haul, and since I'm taking another "sickie" today (at my boss's urging), what better time?

Only bought two things at Amoeba when I met Joe, Geoff, and Ali there last week, the Magic Numbers album and a tribute to Teenage Fanclub that I couldn't resist. Was tempted by many others, but managed to hold the line at two.

My real scores came under the tree, where I got:

What It Is--The latest Rhino R&B box that my dear wife found all on her own with no hinting from me whatsoever--I was figuring I'd have to spring for it myself)
The Official Andy Partridge Fuzzy Warbles Collectors Album--all 8 of Andy's series of outtake and demo discs in one handy box, designed to resemble the stamp collector's album I had when I was 10.
NRBQ-Ludlow Garage (an early live set that's been anticipated for the last 4 years or so)
Peter Gabriel-1st album (the man in the car) Completing my library of his albums on CD. Had it on vinyl since it was released, but for some reason never got around to updating to CD, although I did with the rest of his catalog.
Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol. 3 (DVD)
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 07:12:09 PM »
Got a very cool double-CD Kinks: the Ultimate Collection (an import, apparently) at Virgin during their current $10 sale -- a rare case of something being cheaper (new) at the store than it is (used) on Amazon.  It's about 3/4 Reprise stuff, pretty much everything you'd want, and the rest is a smattering of Arista tracks, all of which I have on a "Best of '77-'84" CD that I bought because it included "Father Xmas".  Neither CD has "Sleepwalker" for some odd reason.

I've been seeing that at the Virgin here in New York, and was afraid to buy it because I feared it was one of those "re-recorded by at least one of the original members" fraud discs.  Glad to hear it isn't.  (Unfortunately, I showed no such justinoimia when shortly thereafter I bought a '70s set for my brother that was such a thing.)

Urth - Really nice haul.

Rod - I, on the other hand, got a book from my friend Brandi called "Horrifically Bad Album Covers."  It is what it is.  My friends know me too well.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007, 10:30:14 PM »

I've been seeing that at the Virgin here in New York, and was afraid to buy it because I feared it was one of those "re-recorded by at least one of the original members" fraud discs.  Glad to hear it isn't.  

Coolest thing about it: Disc 2 begins with the orig versions of the 3 famously-covered-later songs, "David Watts" (the Jam), "Stop Your Sobbing " (Pretenders) and "Dandy" (Herman's Hermits). "Dandy" is one of my very fave HH singles; I didn't find out until just a couple years ago that it was a Davies composition. And once I knew that, I was like, "Duh!"

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2007, 08:40:04 PM »
With a gift certificate to Borders I purchased Stop Making Sense on DVD (I had to kick in a bit).  Watching on my computer tonight as I pay bills.  Just great stuff...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing