Author Topic: Music Acquisitions, Old and New  (Read 43995 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Music Acquisitions, Old and New
« Reply #90 on: December 02, 2010, 12:22:50 AM »
This thread always makes me miss record-shopping in SF.  Actually, I miss record-shopping, full stop.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2011, 11:09:53 AM »
Stumbled across this on Amazon... it's GAZ-tastic!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030IXW7W/ref=s9_qpp_co_p15_ir02?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=left-5&pf_rd_r=1KM1B12N1AQ125Z6TA7W&pf_rd_t=3201&pf_rd_p=1280572542&pf_rd_i=typ01
Listening to that CD could cause cavities!  Perhaps suggest to AL she do a "10at10" of 'sugar pop songs' for breakfast listening.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 16, 2011, 12:52:48 PM »
Couldn't decide where to put this, but: Happy Birthday The Queen is Dead -- released 25 years ago today.

http://www.eastvillageradio.com/content/content.php?id=1578

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #94 on: June 18, 2011, 08:18:48 AM »
Just got the new Robbie Robertson CD:  How to be Clairvoyant  http://tinyurl.com/3romnut

Listened to it a few times on the way down and back from LA.  I enjoyed it, but it doesn't stand out as uniquely as his last record, Contact From the Underworld of Redboy.  Clapton and Winwood contribute, and Pino Palladino plays bass on the whole record.  I think Rod and Ali might like this, Mike certainly not, and the spectrum in between...?

Has anyone else heard this?

Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 18, 2011, 09:54:53 AM »
Just got the new Robbie Robertson CD:  How to be Clairvoyant  http://tinyurl.com/3romnut

Listened to it a few times on the way down and back from LA.  I enjoyed it, but it doesn't stand out as uniquely as his last record, Contact From the Underworld of Redboy.  Clapton and Winwood contribute, and Pino Palladino plays bass on the whole record.  I think Rod and Ali might like this, Mike certainly not, and the spectrum in between...?

Has anyone else heard this?

I've heard a couple of tracks, actually: Vin Scelsa has been playing a couple on his WFUV show. Sounds like the stuff from the "Somewhere Down the Lazy River" era in the late '80s, to my ears.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 18, 2011, 05:07:43 PM »
Sounds like the stuff from the "Somewhere Down the Lazy River" era in the late '80s, to my ears.

I can hear that too, I hadn't thought of it.  Robbie has this speaking/singing sort of thang.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 19, 2011, 09:34:44 PM »
Sounds like the stuff from the "Somewhere Down the Lazy River" era in the late '80s, to my ears.

I can hear that too, I hadn't thought of it.  Robbie has this speaking/singing sort of thang.

Robbie is a great guitarist, but can he actually sing?  Wasn't he notoriously lip-synching during the taping of The Last Waltz concert?  Levon, on the other hand...whadda voice! 

On another note,  I went to Amoeba this afternoon and purchased Silk Degrees on vinyl.  I've never heard this album before (I know, I know.)  I actually think I avoided Boz Scaggs because of the yuppie/douchey-Perry's on Union (good breadsticks, though!) crowd association.   I might've found his name slightly off-putting too.  Anyhoos, love love the album.  I had no idea he wrote "We're All Alone".  Loved the Rita Coolidge cover as a kid (she sang it muy better too.)

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 19, 2011, 10:20:28 PM »
I haven't heard any of the Robbie Robertson yet, but I'll see if I can find some to listen to.

My latest impulse buy is Warren Haynes (Gov't Mule, Allman Bros, The Dead), Man In Motion.  Kind of philly soul, with extended guitar work, horns, etc.  I'm liking it well enough but it doesn't really blow me away.  You can, apparently, stream it here:  http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/exclusive-hear-warren-haynes-new-album-man-in-motion-20110503
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 20, 2011, 12:39:29 AM »

Robbie is a great guitarist, but can he actually sing?  Wasn't he notoriously lip-synching during the taping of The Last Waltz concert?  Levon, on the other hand...whadda voice! 

On another note,  I went to Amoeba this afternoon and purchased Silk Degrees on vinyl.  I've never heard this album before (I know, I know.)  I actually think I avoided Boz Scaggs because of the yuppie/douchey-Perry's on Union (good breadsticks, though!) crowd association.   I might've found his name slightly off-putting too.  Anyhoos, love love the album.  I had no idea he wrote "We're All Alone".  Loved the Rita Coolidge cover as a kid (she sang it muy better too.)

Singing isn't really his forte, but he does pretty well on his solo records. Highly recommend his Storyville album--it rules. I don't think he sang much at all during his time with The Band, and certainly didn't sing lead. With the other vocalists in that band, (Helm, Danko, Manuel) he didn't need to.

Fully concur on Silk Degrees. I'm sure you'll find some other surprises on there (i.e. Georgia, Harbor Lights, a cover of Allen Toussaint's sublime What Do You Want The Girl To Do). Too bad that album is partly responsible for inflicting Toto on the world.
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 20, 2011, 08:31:00 AM »

Singing isn't really his forte, but he does pretty well on his solo records. Highly recommend his Storyville album--it rules. I don't think he sang much at all during his time with The Band, and certainly didn't sing lead. With the other vocalists in that band, (Helm, Danko, Manuel) he didn't need to.

Fully concur on Silk Degrees. I'm sure you'll find some other surprises on there (i.e. Georgia, Harbor Lights, a cover of Allen Toussaint's sublime What Do You Want The Girl To Do). Too bad that album is partly responsible for inflicting Toto on the world.

Boz Skaggs sounds a little like Fozzie Bear when he hits certain notes.  In fact, I wonder if Jim Henson named Fozzie after Boz(zie)? :)
Hasn't almost every song from Silk Degrees make it to a 10 at 10 set?  I think someone mentioned that recently. 

Speaking of singing-talking, Lou Reed does that, too.  But Lou has better command and can actually sustain more than Robbie.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 20, 2011, 08:39:00 AM »
Hasn't almost every song from Silk Degrees make it to a 10 at 10 set?  I think someone mentioned that recently. 

I think we decided that "Harbor Lights" was the only track we've never heard.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 06, 2011, 01:06:23 PM »
An album I was unaware of until recently: Shelby Lynne's Just a Little Lovin' -- released 3 years ago, it's a collection of Dusty Springfield covers (plus one original). 1340 The Boardwalk has played her laid-back version of "I Only Wanna Be With You" a few times which sent me Googling and I found the CD on Amazon for less than 3 bucks.  Just listened -- very nice and fairly stripped-down (produced by Phil Ramone, of all people). No one will ever be Dusty, but a nice tribute.

ETA: so of course I had to dig out Dusty in Memphis -- was reminded that I first heard "Just One Smile" in the BS&T version (Al Kooper incarnation) and didn't find out until many years later it was a Randy Newman compo.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 01:23:26 PM by RGMike »

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 06, 2011, 06:17:50 PM »
An album I was unaware of until recently: Shelby Lynne's Just a Little Lovin' -- released 3 years ago, it's a collection of Dusty Springfield covers (plus one original). 1340 The Boardwalk has played her laid-back version of "I Only Wanna Be With You" a few times which sent me Googling and I found the CD on Amazon for less than 3 bucks.  Just listened -- very nice and fairly stripped-down (produced by Phil Ramone, of all people). No one will ever be Dusty, but a nice tribute.

ETA: so of course I had to dig out Dusty in Memphis -- was reminded that I first heard "Just One Smile" in the BS&T version (Al Kooper incarnation) and didn't find out until many years later it was a Randy Newman compo.
Randy's been around!  Just recently, I was surprised to hear "I've Been Wrong Before" by some artist that escapes me right now.  I was only familiar with the H. P. Lovecraft version.  Doing a little googling, I discovered Dusty Springfield and many others have done this too, and...Randy Newman was the author!  Always something new to learn.

ETA: It was a version by Elvis Costello I saw on TV that started this!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 07:14:12 PM by ggould »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 07, 2011, 12:00:18 PM »
Couple weeks ago I mentioned Eli "Paperboy" Reed, who I discovered via 1340 the Boardwalk. I ordered his most recent Come & Get It from Amazon and it came the other day. It's pretty damn wonderful if ya like that '60s Southern Soul stuff.

TANC: over the weekend, having seen several films at Century Westfield, I was subjected to promos for The Playboy Club, NBC's answer to Mad Men (i.e., a '60s-set series with multiple storylines; see also ABC's PanAm). Anyway, the promo featured a kickin' '60s-style soul number, "Gonna Be an Explosion, Baby" and I thought "Damn who IS that?"  Well, of couse it's Mr Reed and it's on this very same CD. Nice how that worked out.