Author Topic: Music Acquisitions, Old and New  (Read 43952 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music Acquisitions, Old and New
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2007, 09:30:12 PM »
Inspired by the 1-2-punch of Dave playing "Opportunities" and Rob playing "Suburbia" in the same week, I found on Amazon a great 2-CD Pet Shop Boys best-of called Pop Art.  Took it to the gym today and it turned out to be 2-1/2 hours of genius.  Just amazing, and highly recommended.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The "Gaz Buys What His Friends Tell Him To" Sub-th
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2007, 08:45:21 AM »
I finally took the recommendations of a few of you (especially Mike) and bought some Boz.  Slow Dancer, Silk Degrees, and Down Two Then Left were bundled together as sort of a mini box set, so I jumped on it.  And am grateful for the results so far.

So, thanks.  And it leads me to an upcoming project that involves yinz guys.

In the near future, I'm going to budget $50 for iTunes singles coming from recommendations.  Namely, yours.

You guys have gotten to know my musical tastes over several years now and know me pretty well.  We all suggest stuff at random points throughout any number of threads -- "You have GOT to hear this!" and such -- and now it's time to do something about it.  The first five club members to send me lists of The 10 Songs I Must Insist Gaz Acquaint Himself With: I'll take you up on the offer.  And I won't hem or haw unless it's something I already own.  But they must be available on iTunes.

Let me know what you think of this idea.  Thanks!

Gaz

PS: Someday when I have more time and better technology I'll do the same with movies.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The "Gaz Buys What His Friends Tell Him To" Su
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2007, 10:43:41 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
In the near future, I'm going to budget $50 for iTunes singles coming from recommendations.  Namely, yours.

You guys have gotten to know my musical tastes over several years now and know me pretty well.  We all suggest stuff at random points throughout any number of threads -- "You have GOT to hear this!" and such -- and now it's time to do something about it.  The first five club members to send me lists of The 10 Songs I Must Insist Gaz Acquaint Himself With: I'll take you up on the offer.  And I won't hem or haw unless it's something I already own.  But they must be available on iTunes.

Gaz

It may take a while, but I'll be happy to compile a list.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The "Gaz Buys What His Friends Tell Him To" Su
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2007, 10:45:27 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

Gaz

It may take a while, but I'll be happy to compile a list.

I'll give you plenty of time.  Especially curious to see your list.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2007, 12:48:44 PM »
I hadn't been to that fab mp3 blog in a while -- here's their "back to school" musical salute:

http://www.moistworks.com/2007/09/my-name-is-cheech-school-bus-driver.html

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2007, 03:00:07 PM »
I hadn't been to that fab mp3 blog in a while -- here's their "back to school" musical salute:

http://www.moistworks.com/2007/09/my-name-is-cheech-school-bus-driver.html

ooh, thanks. live jerry lee lewis drives me crazy!!! and i love the otis redding song, too.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2007, 09:41:56 PM »
Just ordered from Amazon: a  British import 2-CD set called "Motown Disco". Mostly 12-inch remixes of Motown dance hits of the '70s & '80s ("Love Hangover", "Got To Give it Up" and the like), but the rare gem that makes it truly worth having is Carl Bean's early-disco Gay Lib anthem "I Was Born This Way", which has been very hard to find for several decades.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2007, 10:57:26 PM »
Just ordered from Amazon: a  British import 2-CD set called "Motown Disco". Mostly 12-inch remixes of Motown dance hits of the '70s & '80s ("Love Hangover", "Got To Give it Up" and the like), but the rare gem that makes it truly worth having is Carl Bean's early-disco Gay Lib anthem "I Was Born This Way", which has been very hard to find for several decades.

I'm eager to hear that Carl Bean song; you've piqued my curiosity on it before and I failed to follow up.

Meanwhile, just went to iTunes, seized by a mood, to buy Love's "My Little Red Book."  Found out the Rubinoos did a cover of it as well, sounding to my ears like the Buckingham, and I was so entranced I bought both.  Bacharach's sense of chords really hits me, and I think that's the whole key to his songwriting.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2007, 03:07:19 AM »
Bacharach's sense of chords really hits me, and I think that's the whole key to his songwriting.

that and the funky time signatures.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2007, 02:08:13 PM »
The food banks win:  I picked up a copy of LFTA 14 today.  Meh doesn't even cover it.  I might put Ozomatli on my on my iPod, but so far that's as good as it gets.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
LFTA 14
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2007, 02:33:58 PM »
Quote from: "Rod"
The food banks win:  I picked up a copy of LFTA 14 today.  Meh doesn't even cover it.  I might put Ozomatli on my on my iPod, but so far that's as good as it gets.

I'm a big fan of Richard Thompson's "1952 Vincent Black Lightning."  Is this one a good version?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: LFTA 14
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2007, 02:39:19 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"

I'm a big fan of Richard Thompson's "1952 Vincent Black Lightning."  Is this one a good version?

It's okay.  I think I might come to like it more, as it's not one of Kfog's regulars I don't really know it very well.  It has an odd sound that might become endearing after enough listens.  

Unlike most of LFTA, which I've heard plenty on Kfog.  The Andrew Bird thing aint too bad, and the Angelique Kidjo song works as well.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2007, 10:16:52 PM »
I got mine Saturday. I was n Redwood City and walked over to Peets about 9:15. Peter Finch was scheduled to be there at 10 but I didn't feel inclined to wait. It looked like a comfy Peets with people lounging on leather sofas and reading and visiting. I frequent Peets but never hang out.

I've heard it a few times through now and like it for what it is.
Sharks bleed teal.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: LFTA 14
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2007, 07:23:51 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"
It's okay.  I think I might come to like it more, as it's not one of Kfog's regulars I don't really know it very well.  It has an odd sound that might become endearing after enough listens.  Unlike most of LFTA, which I've heard plenty on Kfog.

I guess it's what you'd call a KPIG Katrina, but I love it.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The "Gaz Buys What His Friends Tell Him To" Sub-th
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2007, 10:55:18 AM »
I finally took the recommendations of a few of you (especially Mike) and bought some Boz.  Slow Dancer, Silk Degrees, and Down Two Then Left were bundled together as sort of a mini box set, so I jumped on it.  And am grateful for the results so far.

So, thanks.  And it leads me to an upcoming project that involves yinz guys.

In the near future, I'm going to budget $50 for iTunes singles coming from recommendations.  Namely, yours.

You guys have gotten to know my musical tastes over several years now and know me pretty well.  We all suggest stuff at random points throughout any number of threads -- "You have GOT to hear this!" and such -- and now it's time to do something about it.  The first five club members to send me lists of The 10 Songs I Must Insist Gaz Acquaint Himself With: I'll take you up on the offer.  And I won't hem or haw unless it's something I already own.  But they must be available on iTunes.

Let me know what you think of this idea.  Thanks!

Gaz

PS: Someday when I have more time and better technology I'll do the same with movies.

REVIVED.  I'd still like to do this, if any of you would like to send me a shopping list.