Author Topic: CG/KPOO/KRSH/VIP/LNG etc week of 8/7/06  (Read 18144 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
CG/KPOO/KRSH/VIP/LNG etc week of 8/7/06
« on: August 07, 2006, 10:45:34 AM »
Talk about soothing balm after an awful set: switched to KPOO and I'm hearing Al Green's version of "For The Good Times". Oh my.

ETA: followed by Otis, "I've Been Loving You Too Long" *swoon*
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 10:53:05 AM »
wow -- Tina's version of "Use Me". I've never heard this before.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 11:33:25 AM »
Just tuned in about 20 minutes ago, and I'm getting the usual buffering issues. Mike, do you usually have this problem or are you getting a more consistent stream? (And if it's the latter, do you have a secret?) I'd love to listen to KPOO most Mondays, but it's a constant test of my patience.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 11:47:32 AM »
Quote from: "urth"
Just tuned in about 20 minutes ago, and I'm getting the usual buffering issues. Mike, do you usually have this problem or are you getting a more consistent stream? (And if it's the latter, do you have a secret?) I'd love to listen to KPOO most Mondays, but it's a constant test of my patience.

I find that it comes & goes -- sometimes the buffering is VERY annoying and sometimes there are long stretches with no buffering at all.  I'm in a buffering cycle as we speak. Some days are better than others, but they really do need to work on it.

this Monday morning woman sure does love her "risque" blues records. "Roll With Me Henry", "Big 10-inch Record" (pre-Aerosmith), etc.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 12:34:17 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

I find that it comes & goes -- sometimes the buffering is VERY annoying and sometimes there are long stretches with no buffering at all.  I'm in a buffering cycle as we speak. Some days are better than others, but they really do need to work on it.

this Monday morning woman sure does love her "risque" blues records. "Roll With Me Henry", "Big 10-inch Record" (pre-Aerosmith), etc.

Yep, she usually loads the last hour of her set with all sorts of "jelly-roll" blues. Today I particularly dug (between buffering breaks) the original version of "It Ain't The Meat, It's the Motion" which Maria Muldaur revived in the 70s, on her Waitress in a Donut Shop album.

I'm thinking the streaming issues may simply have to do with the number of streams their server is attempting to feed. My streaming problems diminished markedly just after noon, when one would assume people sign off and go to lunch. I can't imagine that Judge's audience would be any smaller than what's-her-name's.

Btw, I also get a laugh out of the fact that she prefers to be anonymous on-air--I've never heard her or anyone--refer to her by name, although the KPOO site reveals her name to be Marilynn Fowler.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 01:04:58 PM »
I've been buffering-free since noon, too.

Prince, "Irresitstible Bitch" -- damn, I don't think I've ever heard this on the radio.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 01:20:47 PM »
Stephanie Mills, "Pilot Error" -- haven't heard this since it was a hit.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 02:04:46 PM »
The Temps (or Eddie Kendricks solo) doing "Any Day Now". New to me.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 02:11:26 PM »
High Inergy, "You Can't Turn Me Off (in the Middle of Turning Me On)", a neglected  late-'70s gem.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 02:28:31 PM »
DAMN! Jesse Johnson (feat. Sly Stone), "Crazay".

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 03:02:15 PM »
This. Is. The Ghetto. (a live version, no less!)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
KRSH
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2006, 03:05:35 PM »
Calexico's version of "Alone Again Or"  sounds nice, but I need the real thing.  Listened to the live Forever Changes CD on the way to Morro Bay on Friday.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2006, 03:34:58 PM »
Isaac Hayes, pre-Scientology, "The Feeling Keeps on Coming", from Joy... not that far removed from the parodic, I-wanna-make-love-to-yo'-womanly-body stuff he did on South Park.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: KRSH
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2006, 04:03:27 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"
Calexico's version of "Alone Again Or"  sounds nice, but I need the real thing.  Listened to the live Forever Changes CD on the way to Morro Bay on Friday.

Heard the orig. Love version on the Morning show this am, after their Death, Cab, or Cutie contest. Arthur Lee was the answer of the "death" question--of course, the foghead punted it, had no clue. But they played Alone Again Or right afterward, even before a DCFC song, which was the show they were promoting.
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: KRSH
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2006, 04:17:02 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"
Heard the orig. Love version on the Morning show this am, after their Death, Cab, or Cutie contest. Arthur Lee was the answer of the "death" question--of course, the foghead punted it, had no clue. But they played Alone Again Or right afterward, even before a DCFC song, which was the show they were promoting.

Yeah, it was kind of bittersweet.  The DCFC fan had no idea who Arthur Lee was, but it was at least nice to hear the song, even if it's actually a Bryan MacLean song.  I was fantasizing that he'd play the version from the live album Gaz reviewed, which is so emotional.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!