Author Topic: The Print Media Thread (Books, Magazines, Newspapers, etc.)  (Read 96080 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Print Media Thread (Books, Magazines, Newspapers, etc.)
« Reply #105 on: February 07, 2011, 07:45:57 AM »
This is not the print media but it is media. Huffington Post sold to AOL for $315 million. This would put co-founder Arianna Huffington in charge of all AOL content.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2011/02/06/financial/f213530S22.DTL&tsp=1

some great raection tweets...

MSN's James Rocchi: Ariana is "a horrible, no-talent sharecropper who's built a shabby empire out of ego."

Roger Ebert: "AOL is buying Huffington Post for $315 million. Hopes to monetize with more slideshows and misleading headlines."

You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 07, 2011, 02:04:14 PM »
very interesting!  I learned 19 yrs ago not to underestimate AH, not saying she can do no wrong, but I bet this is just the beginning of a major evolution in media.

one side note, this puts her in charge of both EndGadget & TechCrunch, two of the inner circle of tech maven sites.  And TechCrunch is headed by Michael Arrington...watch the name mangling begin!
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 08, 2011, 09:38:43 PM »
In a rather odd turn of events, former Chron TV critic Tim Goodman's Hollywood Reporter columns will be running in... the Chron. Starting Feb 18th.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 09, 2011, 01:58:33 PM »

In a rather odd turn of events, former Chron TV critic Tim Goodman's Hollywood Reporter columns will be running in... the Chron. Starting Feb 18th.

Now I know I've been out of it.  How long ago did Tim Goodman become a former?

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 09, 2011, 02:23:47 PM »

Now I know I've been out of it.  How long ago did Tim Goodman become a former?

October or thereabouts. He's still on KFOG on Monday mornings, but he's writing for the HR and still gets to live in SF. There's still a link to his old blog on SFGate; I guess maybe they'll start linking to the HR version of "Bastard Machine" once the paper starts carrying his HR column. Not clear if this is just the Chron that's carrying it or if it's the beginning of a syndication thang.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 10, 2011, 02:57:52 PM »
Okay, 'cuz I know I've heard him on KFOG since October, guess I just never noticed that they weren't mentioning the Chron when introducing him.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 15, 2011, 08:27:32 PM »
I am officially done with getting Entertainment Weekly in the mail every week.  I have been a subscriber for nearly 19 years. The magazine stopped coming right before Xmas -- took me a while to get hold of the 800-number for customer service, but I finally called today and was told that my subscription had expired. I never got a single renewal notice. (Usually they send you multiple reminders, in envelopes that clearly say "Entertainment Weekly"). I was flabbergasted. So the guy says he's sorry and tries to sell me a new sub at the current rate. Sorry, bub -- 19 years and I don't get a break? I can read EW on-line from now on.  Thanks, Time-Warner!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Sharks bleed teal.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 16, 2011, 10:38:11 PM »
I am officially done with getting Entertainment Weekly in the mail every week.  I have been a subscriber for nearly 19 years. The magazine stopped coming right before Xmas -- took me a while to get hold of the 800-number for customer service, but I finally called today and was told that my subscription had expired. I never got a single renewal notice. (Usually they send you multiple reminders, in envelopes that clearly say "Entertainment Weekly"). I was flabbergasted. So the guy says he's sorry and tries to sell me a new sub at the current rate. Sorry, bub -- 19 years and I don't get a break? I can read EW on-line from now on.  Thanks, Time-Warner!

I should be able to get you a friends-and-family rate; I'll look into it next time I'm at work.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 17, 2011, 07:41:28 AM »

I should be able to get you a friends-and-family rate; I'll look into it next time I'm at work.

Appreciate the thought, but seriously, they don't deserve my business.  Have they stopped sending renewal notices, or do they send them in unmarked envelopes now?  I've been feeling sorta out-of-their-demo for a while now; I can peruse recent copies at the gym and read the rest on the web.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 17, 2011, 09:42:30 AM »

Appreciate the thought, but seriously, they don't deserve my business.  Have they stopped sending renewal notices, or do they send them in unmarked envelopes now?  I've been feeling sorta out-of-their-demo for a while now; I can peruse recent copies at the gym and read the rest on the web.

Maybe they expect people to renew online nowadays?  I can't imagine why Time Inc. would deprive itself of a willing paying subscriber in this era of tanking numbers; it is a mystery.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 09, 2011, 11:02:34 AM »

Maybe they expect people to renew online nowadays?  I can't imagine why Time Inc. would deprive itself of a willing paying subscriber in this era of tanking numbers; it is a mystery.

Reviving this post because the EXACT. SAME. THING. just happened with Sports Illustrated -- stopped coming, no renewal notices, called to find out why and got "oh, your subscription expired".  Asked the heavily-Indian-accented guy to transfer me to a supervisor, and she told me that I had told them I didn't want mailings or emails from them, and... (a) I didn't do that and (b) I get emails from SI every damn week. WTFF?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 11:08:00 AM by RGMike »

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 09, 2011, 12:12:54 PM »

Reviving this post because the EXACT. SAME. THING. just happened with Sports Illustrated -- stopped coming, no renewal notices, called to find out why and got "oh, your subscription expired".  Asked the heavily-Indian-accented guy to transfer me to a supervisor, and she told me that I had told them I didn't want mailings or emails from them, and... (a) I didn't do that and (b) I get emails from SI every damn week. WTFF?
You have now entered the twilight zone.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 16, 2011, 05:42:00 PM »
Anyone know if the Guardian has changed its distribution model?  All the Guardian boxes in my neck of the woods (Mission and Noe Valley) have been empty for weeks, regardless of what day of the week it is. Meanwhile SF Weekly still loads up their boxes every Wed or Thurs.