Author Topic: Music on TV  (Read 226924 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2006, 09:58:44 AM »
Food Network has been using the J. Geils cover of Night Time to promote their prime time schedule lately. Yeesh.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2006, 10:08:30 AM »
Quote from: "urth"
Food Network has been using the J. Geils cover of Night Time to promote their prime time schedule lately. Yeesh.

"I wanna EAT with you... in the night time..."
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2006, 11:27:01 AM »
Sundance Channel is showing "If I Should Fall From Grace", the docu about Shane McGowan & the Pogues.  Gawd, he has the worst teeth in the history of dentistry!

But one of the highlights was the video for my & Gaz's beloved "Fairytale of NY" (which I'd never seen -- Matt Dillon as a cop!) interspersed with clips of Shane & Kirsty MacColl doing the song on "Top of the Pops".  Wonderful.  According to their manager, the Pet Shop Boys kept FONY out of the #1 slot, "...but I think even the PSBs would agree that morally, ours was the #1 single that week." LOL!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2006, 10:00:51 PM »
Watching VH1, 40 Freakiest Concert Moments. Cool. Some stuff I never heard about. Never knew Jimi set guitar on fire. Did Jim Morrison really expose himself in Miami?  Some weird shit. Howard Stern flying into a show in an assless gold superhero suit. Fartman. Never knew.
Sharks bleed teal.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
yes my child, all true
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2006, 07:28:03 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
Watching VH1, 40 Freakiest Concert Moments. Cool. Some stuff I never heard about. Never knew Jimi set guitar on fire. Did Jim Morrison really expose himself in Miami?  Some weird shit. Howard Stern flying into a show in an assless gold superhero suit. Fartman. Never knew.

if you like Hendrix, rent the Monterey Pop DVD and watch the whole concert.  This was his first US show, and it blew minds big time.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2006, 09:16:50 PM »
I just watched Death Cab For Cutie perform "Soul Meets Body" on Saturday Night Live.  Phe-fucking-nominal.  I thought the album was nice enough without being especially special -- certainly not as touching as their previous, Transatlanticism (gorgeous album cover on that, too) -- but they're far more passionate live than I would have expected, and their attention to craft comes through.

Are they getting any KFOG love?  Any love from other clubbers?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
DCFC
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2006, 09:36:46 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
I just watched Death Cab For Cutie perform "Soul Meets Body" on Saturday Night Live.  Phe-fucking-nominal.  I thought the album was nice enough without being especially special -- certainly not as touching as their previous, Transatlanticism (gorgeous album cover on that, too) -- but they're far more passionate live than I would have expected, and their attention to craft comes through.

My son was into them a while ago, before they were big.  You know, once a band is popular, they lose a certain appeal!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2006, 10:14:53 PM »

"Soul Meets Body" is in ridiculously heavy KFOG rotation. To me it's just another Coldplay soundalike (and thus I assume it's not typical of the rest of the album?).

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2006, 10:56:24 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

"Soul Meets Body" is in ridiculously heavy KFOG rotation. To me it's just another Coldplay soundalike (and thus I assume it's not typical of the rest of the album?).

They're cut from the same cloth; and SMB is indeed typical of the rest of the album.

But WHOA did I just have a discovery tonight: a Charlie Rich demo of "Feel Like Going Home."  Amazing stuff.  I had no idea how much complexity there was to his voice, jazz leanings and hints of Levi Stubbs amidst the country and pop.  Must discover more.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2006, 12:01:09 PM »

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2006, 04:35:07 PM »

Gaz, didn't my quote answer your second question?

Mike, EXCUSE ME!?!?!?!

Death Cab are from Belling-fucking-ham WA (actually a very nice town, been there many times), not the UK.  Plus they formed a year earlier.  I think you'd have to be awfully jaded to say that they're just another Chris Martin navel gazing clone (or what Irish Greg memorably called 'sad bastard music').  Ben Gibbard achieved more succes with his side project The Postal Sevice (which is far closer to New Order or Andy Bell than Coldplay) in the past 2 years than with Death Cab, but as Gaz said Transatlanticism is still the better album.

To my thinking they are either a more folky Pet Shop Boys or a more proggy Weezer with accoustic instead of grunge guitars.

And Gaz, KFOG is now playing the second single "Crooked Teeth".
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2006, 05:51:50 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"

Mike, EXCUSE ME!?!?!?!

Death Cab are from Belling-fucking-ham WA (actually a very nice town, been there many times), not the UK.  Plus they formed a year earlier.  I think you'd have to be awfully jaded to say that they're just another Chris Martin navel gazing clone (or what Irish Greg memorably called 'sad bastard music').  Ben Gibbard achieved more succes with his side project The Postal Sevice (which is far closer to New Order or Andy Bell than Coldplay) in the past 2 years than with Death Cab, but as Gaz said Transatlanticism is still the better album.

To my thinking they are either a more folky Pet Shop Boys or a more proggy Weezer with accoustic instead of grunge guitars.

And Gaz, KFOG is now playing the second single "Crooked Teeth".

Meant to comment on this earlier. Essentially, I kind of agree with Mark's proggy-Weezer comparison. I think the single sounds a whole hell of a lot like Mercury Rev and/or the Flaming Lips. I'm not over the moon about them, but I likes em better than Coldplay et al.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2006, 10:00:57 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"

Mike, EXCUSE ME!?!?!?!

Death Cab are from Belling-fucking-ham WA (actually a very nice town, been there many times), not the UK.  Plus they formed a year earlier.  I think you'd have to be awfully jaded to say that they're just another Chris Martin navel gazing clone (or what Irish Greg memorably called 'sad bastard music').  

OK, can we call in the Overreaction Police to write Mark a ticket? (Too much caffeine today, bub? :wink: )

Where DCFC are from is irrelevant. I still say that that particular song, "SMB", sounds (to my ears) like all the Coldplay clones KFOG plays (Snow Patrol, etc etc, some of them are Brits, some not, everybody & his brother is trying to jump on this particular bandwagon). I haven't heard the rest of the CD, maybe that's the only song in that vein. But as this album is their major-label breakthru, it's not out of the question that the record company, er, leaned on them to do something radio-friendly.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
SuperBowl Stones
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2006, 05:27:37 PM »
pretty by-the-numbers

pretty lame TV sound too.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2006, 08:25:32 PM »
Mick's voice was for shit.  It was all just mugging.  And the censors cowardly excised "you make a dead man come" and "I'm just one of your cocks."
Anyone see the Wonderfest?