Author Topic: Music on TV  (Read 229151 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2006, 09:15:06 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Mick's voice was for shit.  It was all just mugging.  And the censors cowardly excised "you make a dead man come" and "I'm just one of your cocks."
Anyone see the Wonderfest?

I hadn't noticed the censorship (too noisy at our party) but this AP critic argeed with your assessment.  He talks about Stevie & friends too:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2006/02/05/entertainment/e192310S11.DTL

Seems silly to pay for the Stones and then censor two songs that have been played uncensored countless times on hundreds of radio stations.

Stevie was almost as large as Ree-Ree.  He had John Legend, Joss Stone and two black women I didn't recognize.

"But what did you think of the game, Mrs Lincoln?"
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2006, 09:39:08 PM »
I watched most of the painful show. Went grocery shopping after the halftime show. Now to give the geezers credit, they did real well out at SBC a few months ago. Tonight was not a great effort. I didn't even notice the editing.
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2006, 09:52:26 PM »
Gotta confess, I passed on the entire production, game, Stones, Stevie et al.  Went down to the Opera Plaza and saw a pretty interesting (if somewhat depressing) documentary on Townes Van Zant called "Be Here To Love Me." Definitely worth catching, particularly if you're only marginally aware of his catalog. (He wrote Pancho and Lefty for Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard, and White Freightliner Blues, which was recorded by Steve Earle, Robert Earl Keen and many others, not to mention several other songs that became hits for others in country music (when it really was country). He also influenced many Texas singer-songwriters including Steve Earle, Joe Ely, Lyle Lovett, Robert Earl Keen, Guy Clark, Jimmie Dale Gilmore and numerous others with two or more names.)
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2006, 09:59:11 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
I watched most of the painful show. Went grocery shopping after the halftime show. Now to give the geezers credit, they did real well out at SBC a few months ago. Tonight was not a great effort. I didn't even notice the editing.

The audio quality was horrendous, as well.  According to Mr. Morey this morning the Stones agreed in advance not to sing those two lines, so the censors didn't have to actively do anything.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2006, 11:13:13 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"

The audio quality was horrendous, as well.  According to Mr. Morey this morning the Stones agreed in advance not to sing those two lines, so the censors didn't have to actively do anything.

And really, no surprise, I suppose -- Mick was the guy who changed "spend the night together" to "spend some time together" at Ed Sullivan's request (while bad boy Jim Morrison refused to alter the lyrics to "Light My Fire" and was banned from the show forever).

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2006, 01:33:05 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

And really, no surprise, I suppose -- Mick was the guy who changed "spend the night together" to "spend some time together" at Ed Sullivan's request (while bad boy Jim Morrison refused to alter the lyrics to "Light My Fire" and was banned from the show forever).

And to bring this full circle, that original Stones Ed Sullivan Show appearance took place on the same night as......

.....Super Bowl I.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2006, 01:50:28 PM »

And to bring this full circle, that original Stones Ed Sullivan Show appearance took place on the same night as......

.....Super Bowl I.

and speaking of Ed, as I mentioned elsewhere, Little Steven's show this week was a salute to the Beatles on Sullivan (2/9/64) and it's well worth listening to on Steven's site:

http://www.littlestevensundergroundgarage.com/play/archive.html

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Grammys 2006
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2006, 05:23:05 PM »
I posted this to ILM earlier:

My predictions in some categories:

Album of the year: Late Registration

Record of the year: "We Belong Together"

Song of the year: "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own"

New artist: John Legend

Female pop vocal: Kelly Clarkson, "Since U Been Gone"

Male pop vocal: Stevie Wonder, "From the Bottom of My Heart"

Group pop vocal: Killers, "Mr. Brightside"

Pop vocal album: Kelly Clarkson, Breakaway

Dance recording: LCD Soundsystem, "Daft Punk Is Playing at My House"

Solo rock vocal: Neil Young, "The Painter"

Group rock vocal: U2, "Sometimes ..."

Hard rock: Audioslave, "Doesn't Remind Me"

Rock album: U2, How to Dismantle ...

Alternative album: White Stripes, Get Behind Me Satan

Female R&B vocal: mariah Carey, "We Belong Together"

Male R&B vocal: John Legend, "Ordinary People"

Group R&B vocal: Stevie Wonder f/ Aisha Morris, "How Will I Know"

Urban/alternative: Gorillaz, "Dirty Harry"

R&B song: "We Belong Together"

R&B album: Stevie Wonder, A Time to Love

Rap solo: Kanye West, "Gold Digger"

Rap group: Black Eyed Peas, "Don't Phunk With My Heart"

Female country vocal: Lee Ann Womack, "I May Hate Myself in the Morning"

Male country vocal: Keith Urban, "You'll Think of Me"

Group country vocal: Rascal Flatts, "Bless the Broken Road"

Country song: "Bless the Broken Road"
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2006, 07:11:57 PM »
Oh no.

Sly Stone on the Grammys was so sad, so depressing.  He was completely incapable of performing and the many many "tribute" performers were ill-chosen and did not do the songs justice (though Joss Stone's dress was fab and Maroon 5 were bastions of taste).

Yeah, you read that right.

P.S.  Sly, if you wondered, is now hunchbacked, and with a giant blond mohawk kinda like Jean Beauvoir used to wear.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2006, 09:17:12 PM »
Oh no.

Sly Stone on the Grammys was so sad, so depressing.  He was completely incapable of performing and the many many "tribute" performers were ill-chosen and did not do the songs justice (though Joss Stone's dress was fab and Maroon 5 were bastions of taste).

Yeah, you read that right.

P.S.  Sly, if you wondered, is now hunchbacked, and with a giant blond mohawk kinda like Jean Beauvoir used to wear.

My my. sad indeed. Glad I forgot the Grammys were on.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Grammy's
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2006, 09:45:10 PM »
Glad I forgot the Grammys were on.

Well, it's a lot like all awards shows; some of it shines, and some of it shits.

I definitely dug the U2/Mary J. Blige "One" performance, but I'm a sap for that stuff anyway.  Seeing Sir Paul do "Helter Skelter" was kind of interesting.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Grammy's
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2006, 07:01:38 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"
Glad I forgot the Grammys were on.

Well, it's a lot like all awards shows; some of it shines, and some of it shits.

I definitely dug the U2/Mary J. Blige "One" performance, but I'm a sap for that stuff anyway.  Seeing Sir Paul do "Helter Skelter" was kind of interesting.

Said Pal: "I want to rock a bit.  I want to rock out, a bit."

Said an ILM poster in response: "Just because you want to, doesn't mean you can."

He wasn't a vital presence there by any stretch, and his performance of "Fine Line" only cemented how inconsequential that song, and that album, really proved to be.

I did *love* Mary J's reading of "One," though.  She gave me chills in a way no live performance has managed in a long time, and I hope it becomes a smash single.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2006, 07:12:19 AM »
Here's what Sly's rockin' these days:

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Grammy's
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2006, 07:37:28 AM »
I did *love* Mary J's reading of "One," though.  She gave me chills in a way no live performance has managed in a long time, and I hope it becomes a smash single.

interesting disagreement on the KFOG Morning Show: Greg said that the perf brought him to tears; Renee said she didn't like it and thought "wow, she (MJB) can't really sing 'white' music".  :roll:

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2006, 07:43:59 AM »
Joel Selvin's take:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/02/09/MNGR8H5HEE1.DTL

Is he actually saying that he thinks the U2 and Kanye West albums are "insipid and inane"? Wha?