Author Topic: Music on TV  (Read 229170 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Grammy's
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2006, 07:45:06 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "Gazoo"
I did *love* Mary J's reading of "One," though.  She gave me chills in a way no live performance has managed in a long time, and I hope it becomes a smash single.

interesting disagreement on the KFOG Morning Show: Greg said that the perf brought him to tears; Renee said she didn't like it and thought "wow, she (MJB) can't really sing 'white' music".  :roll:

I'm close to getting genuinely pissed off at that comment.  How's Renee defining "black music" and "white music"?  Which does Mariah sing?

And frankly, as I was watching that perf, Mike, I was thinking about your comments earlier this week about Aretha's willingness in earlier days to cover anything and everything, including "The Weight," which I suppose is almost as "white" as rock can be.  It shouldn't be such a goddamned shocker when R&B bleeds into rock or vice versa.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Grammy's
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2006, 07:48:37 AM »
I did *love* Mary J's reading of "One," though.  She gave me chills in a way no live performance has managed in a long time, and I hope it becomes a smash single.

interesting disagreement on the KFOG Morning Show: Greg said that the perf brought him to tears; Renee said she didn't like it and thought "wow, she (MJB) can't really sing 'white' music".  :roll:

I'm close to getting genuinely pissed off at that comment.  How's Renee defining "black music" and "white music"?  Which does Mariah sing?

And frankly, as I was watching that perf, Mike, I was thinking about your comments earlier this week about Aretha's willingness in earlier days to cover anything and everything, including "The Weight," which I suppose is almost as "white" as rock can be.  It shouldn't be such a goddamned shocker when R&B bleeds into rock or vice versa.

Amen, brotha!  Soul can be found in anything if you're willing to look -- a case of the singer not the song, perhaps.

Mariah sings mulatto melodies. :wink:
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2006, 01:03:42 PM »
Troy Patterson, Slate's TV critic, on Sly:

"The most hyped moment regarded the possible emergence of funk pioneer Sly Stone from wherever it is that he dwells. At the climax of a cluttered medley sung by a subpar supergroup, Stone showed up looking the very model of a postmodern major genius/recluse—a blond mohawk like a vast coxcomb, a silvery jacket like a 24th-century lab coat, sparkly belt, wraparound shades. This is how Gravity's Rainbow cultists want Thomas Pynchon to look. "

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2006, 02:58:44 PM »

"The most hyped moment regarded the possible emergence of funk pioneer Sly Stone from wherever it is that he dwells. At the climax of a cluttered medley sung by a subpar supergroup, Stone showed up looking the very model of a postmodern major genius/recluse—a blond mohawk like a vast coxcomb, a silvery jacket like a 24th-century lab coat, sparkly belt, wraparound shades. This is how Gravity's Rainbow cultists want Thomas Pynchon to look. "

Okay, who else has read Gravity's Rainbow or anything else by Pynchon?  Is it at all likely this Patterson fella has?
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2006, 03:05:25 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"

Okay, who else has read Gravity's Rainbow or anything else by Pynchon?  Is it at all likely this Patterson fella has?

I read the first few pages.  Didn't seem worth the effort.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2006, 03:30:45 PM »
Quote from: "Rod"
Quote from: "mshray"

I read the first few pages.  Didn't seem worth the effort.

Oh I remember thinking it was pretty amazing 30 years ago.  I started it in '73 and then gave up about 1/4 thru; I went back three years later and read the whole thing. I read V back then too, and his "comeback", Vineland, back in '91. Rough going, especially if you're averse to sentences that last an entire page. :wink:

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2006, 07:11:14 PM »
The only Pynchon I've ever read was The Crying of Lot 49, which I enjoyed a lot but not enough to delve into the rest of his intimidating catalogue.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2006, 01:43:01 PM »
Here's what Sly's rockin' these days:

someone on tribe described sly as the result of angelo moore mating with a cockroach.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2006, 02:15:21 PM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
Here's what Sly's rockin' these days:

someone on tribe described sly as the result of angelo moore mating with a cockroach.

Cocaine -- it's a helluva pomade!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2006, 10:01:31 PM »
Ch. 44  has been showing "rare" Simpsons eps this month; quite a treat compared to last summer when they basically showed the same 25-30 eps over... and over... and over.

Anyway tonite was the one where Lisa meets up with her sax-playing idol and they sing "Jazzman".  Delightful.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
the disco Olympics
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2006, 10:26:07 PM »
a non-stop disco set for the introductions of the athletes into the stadium.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2006, 12:52:26 PM »
I'm watching Jessica Lange as Patsy Cline in Sweet Dreams on cable.  Been years since I've seen it. Great music, of course, but also some of the hottest love scenes I've ever seen in a H'wood flick.

"People in hell want ice water... that don't mean they get it!"

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
bizarre pairing
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2006, 10:02:47 PM »
young Chinese skaters, doing their routine to an instrumental arrangement of Zep's "Kashmir"

:lol:

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: bizarre pairing
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2006, 10:24:40 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"
young Chinese skaters, doing their routine to an instrumental arrangement of Zep's "Kashmir"

:lol:

Red Zeppelin!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: bizarre pairing
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2006, 03:50:09 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"
young Chinese skaters, doing their routine to an instrumental arrangement of Zep's "Kashmir":lol:
Red Zeppelin!
double groan!