Author Topic: Music on TV  (Read 226998 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Music on TV
« Reply #675 on: November 25, 2010, 03:37:33 PM »
The Black Eyed Peas are going to headline this season's Super Bowl halftime show.  UGH! >:(

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/ent/stories/DN-PEAS_19new.ART.State.Edition2.4b7cbcf.html

I guess they ran out of old-fart classic rockers.

and their new single is an "update" of "I Had the Time of My Life", the Dirty Dancing anthem. Patrick Swayze is rolling over in his grave.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: November 27, 2010, 04:59:38 PM »
Get thee to a TV with the Centric channel posthaste --  a "Soul Train" marathon! JUust caught a Barry White/Love Unltd episode with Glodean and the girls doing the fantabulous "It May Be Winter Outside (But in My Heart It's Spring)". I'm in soul heaven.  And here's the Temprees wearing white tuxes with silver bowties. Lawd have mercy.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: December 01, 2010, 08:13:13 PM »
a 1975 Soul Train with the Dells and Bloodstone -- the latter rockin' some serious bright red suits, including a big fat dude who's shirtless and, er, shouldn't be. Man-boobs before anybody called 'em that.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: December 01, 2010, 09:31:28 PM »
Man-boobs before anybody called 'em that.

"moobs"
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: December 02, 2010, 08:23:26 PM »
Another stellar Soul Train from 1977 with The Whispers doing their disco-fied Bread cover and this is the first time I've seen a clip of the late Johnny "Guitar" Watson back in the day -- he looks like Sly, if Sly had stayed away from coke.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: December 03, 2010, 11:03:34 AM »
Here’s another one to add to our "Songs that feature banjo" list:

Silver and Gold, as sung by Burl Ives as Sam the Snowman in Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer

Of course, you don’t actually HEAR the banjo, but it’s there. :)
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: December 10, 2010, 02:41:42 PM »
For those who didn't know, Macca is hosting SNL tomo'w nite.  Please, Sir Paul: anything but "Wonderful Christmastime"

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: December 10, 2010, 04:46:56 PM »
For those who didn't know, Macca is hosting SNL tomo'w nite.  Please, Sir Paul: anything but "Wonderful Christmastime"
Last night on Jimmy Fallon Show, McCartney performed "Scrambled Eggs" version of "Yesterday." Jimmy did a great job singing with Paul and adding harmonies. You can tell it was the thrill of his lifetime to actually sing with Sir Paul. Paul also performed "Here Today," his tribute to John:
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/10/on-late-night-paul-mccartney-looks-back-at-days-gone-by/?src=mv

And, this actually aired on CNN (48-sec clip):
CNN had planned to air a scene from the film "Dumb and Dumber" as an introduction to a segment on unusual treatments for digestive diseases in men, but CNN producers cut from a news piece on student protests in Europe straight into Jeff Daniels' personal moment:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/hottopics/detail?entry_id=78822#ixzz17l4k2FZP
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 07:15:51 PM by Wayback »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: December 21, 2010, 08:26:47 PM »
lawd, it's a late-'84 Soul Train with the Staples doing their fab cover of "Slippery People", with Donna Summer yet to come, tho' she didn't really have any big hits at that time.

ETA: ah, she's doing the forgettable "Supernatural Love", which I, um, forgot.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 08:37:32 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: December 28, 2010, 06:39:06 PM »
WGN America is looking to give Dick Clark/Ryan Seacrest etc etc a run for their money on New Year's (Rockin') Eve by presenting "At Daryl's House" this NYE -- that's Daryl Hall. And (presumably) friends.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: December 28, 2010, 08:30:28 PM »
LAWD! A 1974 Soul Train ep with the Bay Area's own Natural Four in sherbet-colored jumpsuits doing "It's Love That Really Counts", a follow-up to "Can This Be Real". And they're just the warm-up for Kool & the Gang!  Hollywoooooooooooooooooood!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 08:40:13 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: December 31, 2010, 05:13:08 PM »
WGN America is looking to give Dick Clark/Ryan Seacrest etc etc a run for their money on New Year's (Rockin') Eve by presenting "At Daryl's House" this NYE -- that's Daryl Hall. And (presumably) friends.

OK, this Daryl Hall thing airs at 8pm Pacific on WGN -- it's a 2-hour compilation of clips from his web show.  Check out this stunning rendition of "Wait For Me" (one of my fave H&O songs) by Todd Rungren

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3zXffWI6QQ&feature=share

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: December 31, 2010, 05:27:54 PM »

OK, this Daryl Hall thing airs at 8pm Pacific on WGN -- it's a 2-hour compilation of clips from his web show.  Check out this stunning rendition of "Wait For Me" (one of my fave H&O songs) by Todd Rungren

Marvelous!  Perfect melding of the two.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: December 31, 2010, 05:47:02 PM »

OK, this Daryl Hall thing airs at 8pm Pacific on WGN -- it's a 2-hour compilation of clips from his web show.  Check out this stunning rendition of "Wait For Me" (one of my fave H&O songs) by Todd Rungren

OTOH, one of the guests will be Train doing "Hey Hoe Blistah"
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 08:59:50 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: December 31, 2010, 09:01:01 PM »

OTOH, one of the guests will be Train doing "Hey Hoe Blistah"

Train notwithstanding, this has been a terrific show -- Smokey Robinson's still got it. And Miz Sharon Jones was s-s-s-smokin'.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 09:09:23 PM by RGMike »