Author Topic: Music on TV  (Read 241819 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #90 on: April 12, 2006, 09:51:14 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Apparently John Deacon, who was nowhere to be seen & wasn't mentioned, isn't touring with them, which I didn't realize.

I recall hearing an interview with Taylor and May somewhere (CG?) in which they said they asked Deacon to take part, but he just felt he was beyond playing in a rock band anymore. He wished them well, and bore them no ill will, but he took a pass. (One assumes he's making something from the use of the Queen name, trademarks, music etc., so it's not like he's being shut out entirely.)
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2006, 09:49:51 PM »
So I stumbled across the Brit Music Awards earlier on oh-so-cutting-edge BBC America, and Kanye comes out to perform "Golddigger", you know, the one that goes

Now I aint sayin she a gold digger
But she ain't messin wit no broke niggaz

and Every. Single. Time. he says "niggaz" they bleep it. WTF?  And you thought that rap-lyric change on the Oscars was silly!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
from a bass player's POV
« Reply #92 on: April 15, 2006, 11:05:02 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
Quote from: "mshray"
Apparently John Deacon, who was nowhere to be seen & wasn't mentioned, isn't touring with them, which I didn't realize.
I recall hearing an interview with Taylor and May somewhere (CG?) in which they said they asked Deacon to take part, but he just felt he was beyond playing in a rock band anymore. He wished them well, and bore them no ill will, but he took a pass. (One assumes he's making something from the use of the Queen name, trademarks, music etc., so it's not like he's being shut out entirely.)

Well, I'm sure he's a talented guy, and I never was a Queen fan, but his name never comes up in discussions of talented bass players.  Not every bassist can be a John Entwistle (actually nobody can be the Ox!)
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Ric Ocasek on Colbert Report
« Reply #93 on: April 17, 2006, 11:43:08 PM »
pretty bizarre, as Colbert was using an old Cars video of "Magic" to prove Jesus walked on water. Then during Colbert's 'putting on notice' shtick, he asked Ric if there  was anyone he wanted to put on notic, and, you guessed it, he named Todd Rundgren.  Stephen just happened to have a sign printed already for Todd (after finding the J. Geils Band) and so Todd went up on the board!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Ric Ocasek on Colbert Report
« Reply #94 on: April 18, 2006, 05:35:17 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"
pretty bizarre, as Colbert was using an old Cars video of "Magic" to prove Jesus walked on water. Then during Colbert's 'putting on notice' shtick, he asked Ric if there  was anyone he wanted to put on notic, and, you guessed it, he named Todd Rundgren.  Stephen just happened to have a sign printed already for Todd (after finding the J. Geils Band) and so Todd went up on the board!

I've never seen Colbert; what does "put on notice" mean?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Ric Ocasek on Colbert Report
« Reply #95 on: April 18, 2006, 07:26:19 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
pretty bizarre, as Colbert was using an old Cars video of "Magic" to prove Jesus walked on water. Then during Colbert's 'putting on notice' shtick, he asked Ric if there  was anyone he wanted to put on notice, and, you guessed it, he named Todd Rundgren.  Stephen just happened to have a sign printed already for Todd (after finding the J. Geils Band) and so Todd went up on the board!
I've never seen Colbert; what does "put on notice" mean?

It's a pretty corny thing.  He has a beef with somebody over something bizarre, and in character with the wacked out patriotic lunatic character he play, and they bring out this frame, and they slide somebody's name into a slot on the board.  I do recommend checking him out sometime.  Somedays it's too much, and sometimes it's brilliant.  When he had Jesse Jackson on, it was a hoot.  There was a link to that video in my immigration blog recently:

http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewide/media_player/play.jhtml?itemId=61259

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Sentimental Lady
« Reply #96 on: April 23, 2006, 11:01:42 PM »
sounded like Welch's version as the music to an ask.com commercial where an abominal snowman getting a date online.

bizarro deluxe!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #97 on: April 27, 2006, 08:20:50 PM »
Weekend TV Alert! Sat nite's SNL will devote its entire 90 mins to Robert Smiegel's cartoons ("The Ambiguously Gay Duo" etc etc).  Should easily be the best SNL in several seasons...

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #98 on: May 03, 2006, 08:27:11 PM »
Hey Geoff! This very evening at 9pm on KRCB (channel 22 on Comcast), a Steppenwolf concert (can't tell from the listing if it's vintage or new).

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Goddam the pusher!
« Reply #99 on: May 03, 2006, 08:33:40 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Hey Geoff! This very evening at 9pm on KRCB (channel 22 on Comcast), a Steppenwolf concert (can't tell from the listing if it's vintage or new).

They were never one of my faves, and the sight of old men in leather pants is not quite my bag, but I'll tune in for a while.  I've seen him on one of those other PBS 60's throwback shows.  He's in decent shape with a bunch of young pups in the band.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #100 on: May 03, 2006, 09:45:07 PM »
Weekend TV Alert! Sat nite's SNL will devote its entire 90 mins to Robert Smiegel's cartoons ("The Ambiguously Gay Duo" etc etc).  Should easily be the best SNL in several seasons...

This marked the first time in years I watched an ep of SNL from start to finish.  Smigel is a fucking genius, most especially the Darlene Love song "Christmas For the Jews."  Not only hilarious, but musically perfectly rendered.  I adore Darlene Love even more now.

PS: That Samberg guy don't look too bad either.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #101 on: May 04, 2006, 07:25:49 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

This marked the first time in years I watched an ep of SNL from start to finish.  Smigel is a fucking genius, most especially the Darlene Love song "Christmas For the Jews."  Not only hilarious, but musically perfectly rendered.  I adore Darlene Love even more now.

Ditto.  Absofuckinlutely brilliant. And I never knew that the voice of Ace (or is it Gary) would turn out to be Stephen Colbert (speaking of geniuses).

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Goddam the pusher!
« Reply #102 on: May 04, 2006, 07:27:15 AM »

They were never one of my faves, and the sight of old men in leather pants is not quite my bag, but I'll tune in for a while.  I've seen him on one of those other PBS 60's throwback shows.  He's in decent shape with a bunch of young pups in the band.

The copyright at the end said 2004 -- damn, Mr Kay looks amazing for a man of 60 (62 this year)!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Magic Carpet Ride
« Reply #103 on: May 04, 2006, 11:12:43 PM »
some new female version used for new Wendy's sandwich!

bizarroramalamadingdong!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Pier 1
« Reply #104 on: May 04, 2006, 11:29:28 PM »
"It's Your Thing"

:roll: