Author Topic: Music on TV  (Read 257848 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #210 on: February 06, 2007, 11:06:05 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
one of them made a loose commentary about this superbowl being the epitome of black history month - what scholars wrote about! or something like that.

We had the same kind of condescending coverage on these shores as well.  (Gawker's appropriately bitchy headline take on it: "Hell, If This Was Really All They Wanted, We Probably Didn't Need the Dogs and Firehoses.")
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #211 on: February 06, 2007, 11:08:06 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
one of them made a loose commentary about this superbowl being the epitome of black history month - what scholars wrote about! or something like that.

We had the same kind of condescending coverage on these shores as well.  (Gawker's appropriately bitchy headline take on it: "Hell, If This Was Really All They Wanted, We Probably Didn't Need the Dogs and Firehoses.")

But as Mr Dungy pointed out, "It doesn't matter that it's the first 2 black coaches -- it was 2 CHRISTIAN coaches".  

'scuse me while I barf.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #212 on: February 06, 2007, 11:22:39 AM »

that's hilarious.

and like two christian coaches hasn't happened before.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #213 on: February 08, 2007, 12:43:04 PM »
AAAAAACK! Celine Dion will be singing at the Oscars. (She's part of a tribute to Ennio Morricone -- who deserves one, but jeez.)  LOVE this quote from David Carr, the NY Times' Oscar blogger:

"In [our] house, when we want to signal that someone or something has jumped the shark, we clench our right fist and bounce it off our chest before finishing with hand upraised and fingers splayed, which is otherwise known as getting in touch with our inner Celine Dion."

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #214 on: February 08, 2007, 01:19:54 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
AAAAAACK! Celine Dion will be singing at the Oscars. (She's part of a tribute to Ennio Morricone -- who deserves one, but jeez.)  LOVE this quote from David Carr, the NY Times' Oscar blogger:

"In [our] house, when we want to signal that someone or something has jumped the shark, we clench our right fist and bounce it off our chest before finishing with hand upraised and fingers splayed, which is otherwise known as getting in touch with our inner Celine Dion."

celine will never jump the shark!!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #215 on: February 09, 2007, 07:52:37 AM »
Brilliant Musical Parody Alert!  Tonight's 10pm Simpsons rerun is the one where Marge and Ned star in Streetcar!.  Genius, one of my fave eps.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #216 on: February 10, 2007, 06:17:52 PM »
TV-One (one of TWO low-rent "black family" channels on Comcast Digital) is having a Prince marathon as we speak -- Under The Cherry Moon, Graffitti Bridge, Purple Rain.  I'd forgotten how awful UTCM was. But it's interesting seeing a young Kristin Scott-Thomas, 10 years before The English Patient, as Prince's love interest.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #217 on: February 12, 2007, 02:30:41 PM »
Did anyone here actually watch the Grammys? I didn't, but per the Chronicle, this has to be the quote of the night: Chris Rock, introducing the Red Hot Chili Peppers...

"This next band had their cocks in socks long before Justin put his dick in a box."

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #218 on: February 12, 2007, 02:33:59 PM »
Did anyone here actually watch the Grammys? I didn't, but per the Chronicle, this has to be the quote of the night: Chris Rock, introducing the Red Hot Chili Peppers...

"This next band had their cocks in socks long before Justin put his dick in a box."

And that went out on the air? In these times of ultra-censorship? My, I'll bet that had some faces turning red in the bible belt.

Gee, now I kinda wish I had watched at least some of it.
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
I watched almost the whole thing
« Reply #219 on: February 12, 2007, 03:26:55 PM »
Quote from: "urth"

And that went out on the air? In these times of ultra-censorship? My, I'll bet that had some faces turning red in the bible belt.

I thought I heard "jocks in socks" but they bleeped "dick."

Some of  it was pretty cool, some pretty lame.  At this point, almost anything on my new TV that's in HD seems pretty compelling.  I'm sure I will get over that soon.  Now that I think of it, I'm not sure what I saw that was any good.  Must've been something!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: I watched almost the whole thing
« Reply #220 on: February 12, 2007, 04:21:46 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"
Quote from: "urth"

I thought I heard "jocks in socks" but they bleeped "dick."

Some of  it was pretty cool, some pretty lame.  At this point, almost anything on my new TV that's in HD seems pretty compelling.  I'm sure I will get over that soon.  Now that I think of it, I'm not sure what I saw that was any good.  Must've been something!

grammys schmammys. i'm saving my next all-nighter for the oscars. nothing beats the colts beating the bears except the dench, the mirren, and the streep under one roof. i'm already having hot flashes.

and lest you think i'm sexist, i spent three minutes today watching the imdb.com sidney poitier photo slideshow.

i can't help it if i was born two decades late. but, sincerely, i prefer the music from '77 to that of '57.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: I watched almost the whole thing
« Reply #221 on: February 13, 2007, 12:33:59 PM »
i'm saving my next all-nighter for the oscars. nothing beats the colts beating the bears except the dench, the mirren, and the streep under one roof. i'm already having hot flashes.

Bad news... the Dench will not be attending:

http://www.calendarlive.com/movies/cl-et-quick13.1feb13,0,3773272.story?coll=cl-movies

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #222 on: February 13, 2007, 01:26:42 PM »

I watched most of the Grammys, and was surprised at how little liveblogging of it I saw in the sphere.  Mary J. Blige kicked ass on her "Be Without You" and then assumed empress-ship by medleying her way into Lorraine Ellison's "Stay."  She oversold her hook on Ludacris's dreck effort "Runaway Love" but the crowd seemed to eat it up.  Gnarls Barkley, dressed as flight attendants (one of my work colleagues thought Cee-Lo was supposed to be Idi Amin) slowed "Crazy" to half-time, which I wouldn't have suggested, but Cee tore his vocal ALL up and down.  I was transfixed.  Rascal Flatts proved themselves utterly pointless, while Christina Aguilera (covering "It's a Man's Man's Man's World") proved again that her volume switch only oscillates between 9 and 13.  And the Dixie Chicks gave a strong performance but I'm still not wholly convinced of the song's purely musical merits.  "Make Nice" was a good song but not a great one; the Grammy voters used this occasion to mark a referendum on the administration and the Iraq war.  I'd've rather the Grammys put the music first and foremost, but I'll settle for them being on the right side of history.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #223 on: February 13, 2007, 01:34:23 PM »
(one of my work colleagues thought Cee-Lo was supposed to be Idi Amin)

Stephen Colbert the other night: "some say America isn't ready for a black president... but then they also said Forest Whittaker would never be the Last King of Scotland".

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #224 on: February 23, 2007, 10:00:33 AM »
Oscar show preview: each of the "Dreamgirls" -- Beyoncé, Jennifer Hudson, and Anika Noni Rose -- will sing each others' songs from the movie. Beyonce, apparently, will get to sing "And I Am Telling You..." Guess they figure everyone's seen clips of Jennifer Hudson doing that one a few too may times. (Diana Ross was asked to sing one of the Dreamgirls songs on the Oscars. But she said no, telling the producers, "I'm not interested in promoting that movie." She still claims she hasn't seen it.)

Oh, also Melissa Etheridge will sing her Inconvenient Truth song and Randy Newman and James taylor will duet on their Cars number. Too bad the Prince song wasn't nommed.