Author Topic: Music on TV  (Read 257847 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #195 on: January 27, 2007, 03:58:17 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
He's in a United States of Mind: Billy Joel gets to sing the Nat'l Anthem at the Super Bowl next week.

Didn't he quit performing his pop songs because his voice was shot?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #196 on: January 27, 2007, 10:23:21 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
He's in a United States of Mind: Billy Joel gets to sing the Nat'l Anthem at the Super Bowl next week.

Guess he considers the Anthem a classical piece.

I was hoping Prince would do the Anthem, as long as he's gotta be there anyway.  "We can funk until the dawn's early light, makin' love thru cherry bombs bursting in air..."
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #197 on: February 02, 2007, 08:07:20 AM »
I'm too lazy to start a separate non-musical TV thread, but did anyone else catch the debut of the Sarah Silverman show last nite? Great stuff.

"Get yo' head off mah titties, BITCH!"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #198 on: February 03, 2007, 12:16:51 PM »
OMFG, I just stumbled across "The Best of Soul Train" on cable (WGN), a syndicated compilation series that I had no idea existed.  Featuring vintage ST stuff, today it was AWB doing "Person to Person" and "School Boy Crush" and Undisputed Truth -- wearing white Afro wigs and silver face paint! -- doing something called "Boogie Bump Boogie". Circa 1975.  

Saturday morning 11am -- I'll be there next week for more!

Love... Peace... and SOOOOOOOOOOOOOUL!!!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #199 on: February 03, 2007, 11:35:25 PM »
Undisputed Truth -- wearing white Afro wigs and silver face paint! -- doing something called "Boogie Bump Boogie". Circa 1975.  

Wow, they extended that shtick for a *really* long time, as gimmicks go.  I'im in awe.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #200 on: February 04, 2007, 11:50:25 AM »
Undisputed Truth -- wearing white Afro wigs and silver face paint! -- doing something called "Boogie Bump Boogie". Circa 1975.  

Wow, they extended that shtick for a *really* long time, as gimmicks go.  I'im in awe.

I only discovered recently that they were Norman Whitfield's testing-ground for songs the Tempations would later do (and sometimes vice-versa).  They made the R&B chart in June of '72 with "Papa Was a Rolling Stone" (4 months before the Tempts) and actually got up to #24.  Conversely they released a cover of "Law of the Land" 5 months after the Temptations version.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #201 on: February 04, 2007, 01:09:44 PM »
Yikes -- first pre-game performance of the day, and it's The Goat!  Doing "Stand Back" and looking like she might wanna lay off the pastries at the backstage buffet.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #202 on: February 04, 2007, 03:11:20 PM »
That Cirque du Soleil number was the gayest thing I've seen at the Super Bowl since Cher sang the National Anthem.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #203 on: February 04, 2007, 03:19:20 PM »

Wow... his voice really IS shot!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #204 on: February 04, 2007, 05:48:23 PM »
The Purple One came thru, IMHO.  Opening with "Let's Go Crazy" (natch) and then joined by a (presumably local) college marching band.  Couple of oddball covers -- "Proud Mary" and "All Along the Watchtower", and then climaxing with "Purple Rain" in the, er, rain.  

But the commercials have been quite lackluster this year.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Prince
« Reply #205 on: February 04, 2007, 06:00:16 PM »
The Purple One came thru, IMHO.  Opening with "Let's Go Crazy" (natch) and then joined by a (presumably local) college marching band.  Couple of oddball covers -- "Proud Mary" and "All Along the Watchtower", and then climaxing with "Purple Rain" in the, er, rain.  

I thought he was pretty good, much better than most half timers.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Prince
« Reply #206 on: February 04, 2007, 06:30:24 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"

I thought he was pretty good, much better than most half timers.

Agreed, and I was pleased to see no indication of any lipsyncing or background tapes--his guitar-playing seemed exactly in sync with what we heard, as with his vocals, too--and toward the end when he knocked his mic stand over as he went into the solo for Purple Rain, there was an audible thud. However, we really couldn't tell what was up during the solo, being as it was done in silhouette behind that flapping bedsheet. Still far better than what I've seen in the past (remember Aerosmith on the pregame a few years ago? Pretty bad, iirc), particularly given the downpour that was going on.

And it's looking like Manning may get his long-awaited ring. Da Bearse better get moving if they want to pull this one out.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #207 on: February 04, 2007, 08:32:47 PM »
Douglas Rowe, critic for the Associated Press, gave both Prince and CBS's coverage a rave, but check out this odd quote, referring to past wardrobe malfunctions etc:

"The closest thing to a fashion statement Sunday night was an odd kerchief on [Prince's] head."

Mr Rowe, don't you recognize a doo-rag when you see one? WTF???

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #208 on: February 04, 2007, 08:51:33 PM »
Final Prince comment: I didn't even realize that, after "Watchtower" (a sly Jehovah's Witness reference?) he also did part of the Foo Fighters' "Best of You".  Apparently the FFs did a cover of "Darling Nikki" a couple years ago.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #209 on: February 06, 2007, 07:16:40 AM »
well, i was glad to catch my second game of the season. all us 'mericans in the bar were singing over billy joel, but he did seem bland. tasteful, but bland.

prince was fun. a little uninspired, but still fun. i'm glad his behind-the-sheet masturbation scene wasn't censored. and i'm glad you identified the foo fighters song, because it was very familiar, and while i was singing along, i was trying to remember what prince album it was from.

nice that the florida a&m university marching band joined prince. especially since it was black history football, and all. i don't know if you guys had the same game commentators as we did, but one of them made a loose commentary about this superbowl being the epitome of black history month - what scholars wrote about! or something like that. it was pretty funny. then we had to watch don johnson, cecil someone, and some other announcer who looked familiar, but i can't remember his name. they would come on during commercials and halftime and give their reports. it was pretty entertaining, if stupid. don johnson looks like the joker.

anyway, it was worth staying up until 4:30 on monday morning to see.