Author Topic: Music on TV  (Read 257830 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
big ending
« Reply #180 on: December 21, 2006, 09:44:16 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
So Stephen Colbert has been flogging (for weeks) his big "guitar shred-off" with the guitarist from the Decemberists, Mr Funk.  The entire show tonite was built around it. They had a panel of judges in cluding someone from the NYT and NY governor-elect Eliot Spitzer, and Henry f--ing Kissinger, fer chrissakes, did the let-the-shredding-begin honors.

Anyway, Funk does his solo, and then Colbert steps up and promptly "cuts his finger" and can't continue, and he pleads for someone to sub for him. And out steps... Peter Frampton.

But the big surprise or me was when Rick Neilsen of Cheap Trick came out at the end to play the Colbert Report theme music, which, I was astounded to learn, he wrote. (Astounded because it's always sounded to me like a clone of the Daily Show theme music, which was written by They Might Be Giants.)

the ending was pretty cool stuff, lots of loud guitar, and Colbert riffing on the magic bag!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #181 on: December 24, 2006, 10:07:58 PM »
Tonight, KMTP, the local ultra-low-buget public TV station, showed what is undoubtedly the Worst. Xmas. Special. EVER.

"Scrooge's Rockin' Christmas", which, sadly, I only caught the last half of, was videotaped on a shoestring budget (it looks like somebody's community college senior project). A young woman stumbles upon "Scrooge" in a remote shop; he's played by the late character actor Jack Elam, so he doesn't have a British accent (WTF?) and she gives him Xmas spirit by showing him scenes of various artists singing Xmas songs, using a crystal ball.  Appearing were The Association, Paul Revere & the Raiders, 3 Dog Night, Bobby Goldsboro (wearing Tony Orlando's old hair!), Mike Love, Mary MacGregor... all of them lip-synching very very badly on very cheap videotape.  Utterly horrendous, yet I couldn't turn it off and was kinda sorry I missed the beginning.  I've Googled the damn thing and nothing comes up.  But OMG if you missed it, you missed something.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #182 on: December 29, 2006, 09:55:54 PM »
TCM is showing Rock'N'Roll High School.  Gabba Gabba Hey! PJ Soles RULES!

Didya know the Ramones only ended up in the movie because Cheap Trick pulled out at the last minute?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #183 on: January 10, 2007, 09:22:58 PM »
Just saw Stephen Colbert's tribute to James Brown (Colbert says he's now officially "the hardest-working man in show business", having inherited the "2nd-hardest" title from Robert Altman recently).  Then Colbert dropped down on one knee and they draped a red white & blue cape over him. Gotta love it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #184 on: January 15, 2007, 09:01:48 AM »
In case you missed it: Jake Gyllenhaal on SNL... it's Brokeback Dreamgirls!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmG2gBAcN-8&eurl

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #185 on: January 15, 2007, 11:45:18 AM »
Just saw Stephen Colbert's tribute to James Brown (Colbert says he's now officially "the hardest-working man in show business", having inherited the "2nd-hardest" title from Robert Altman recently).  Then Colbert dropped down on one knee and they draped a red white & blue cape over him. Gotta love it.

personally, i think the title should go to dolly parton.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #186 on: January 15, 2007, 11:49:00 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"

personally, i think the title should go to dolly parton.

nuthin' in the hole...

Her bra is certainly hard-working.  I'm always reminded of that feminist T-shirt, "women hold up half the sky"  ... Dolly's bra holds up half of Dolly!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #187 on: January 15, 2007, 08:23:34 PM »
Golden Globes on now (tape delayed, I already know who wins). They don't bother with performances of the Best Song nominees, so Justin Timberlake announces the winner, Prince (who beat Seal, Sheryl Crow, Beyonce). But Prince isn't there so Justin crouches down to make himself as short as Prince and accepts the award on behalf of the Purple One. It's a great sight gag, but few in the audience seem to get it.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #188 on: January 16, 2007, 02:31:35 AM »
Golden Globes on now (tape delayed, I already know who wins). They don't bother with performances of the Best Song nominees, so Justin Timberlake announces the winner, Prince (who beat Seal, Sheryl Crow, Beyonce). But Prince isn't there so Justin crouches down to make himself as short as Prince and accepts the award on behalf of the Purple One. It's a great sight gag, but few in the audience seem to get it.

in what movie did the song appear? congrats to sedgwick and laurie! i'm not totally out of the loop over here. :)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #189 on: January 16, 2007, 07:29:51 AM »
in what movie did the song appear? congrats to sedgwick and laurie! i'm not totally out of the loop over here. :)

The Prince tune is from Happy Feet, the animated penguin movie.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #190 on: January 16, 2007, 07:53:41 AM »

The Prince tune is from Happy Feet, the animated penguin movie.

i missed that. and your dolly notes until just now. half of dolly. lol.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #191 on: January 21, 2007, 08:22:16 PM »
Earlier today I saw one of the most hilariously bad TV shows ever: VH-1's The White Rapper Show.  Another reality/competition show, 10 white people (8 men, 2 women) are living together in an industrial loft space in the South Bronx (!).  They'll compete to be the best rapper in NY and the winner gets $100G.  Didn't Jamie Kennedy already do this shtick?
One of them actually said "Yo, ahm jus' tryin' to get mah franchise poppin', yaknow'tI'msayin'?" Yikes.

SFGuy

Music on TV
« Reply #192 on: January 22, 2007, 02:01:12 AM »
Earlier today I saw one of the most hilariously bad TV shows ever: VH-1's The White Rapper Show.  Another reality/competition show, 10 white people (8 men, 2 women) are living together in an industrial loft space in the South Bronx (!).  They'll compete to be the best rapper in NY and the winner gets $100G.  Didn't Jamie Kennedy already do this shtick?
One of them actually said "Yo, ahm jus' tryin' to get mah franchise poppin', yaknow'tI'msayin'?" Yikes.

Saw 5 minutes of this show and thought one thing: These people make Kevin Federline seem like Dr. Dre or Run DMC.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Soundtrack of the Century
« Reply #193 on: January 24, 2007, 10:48:44 PM »
Tonight I've been watching this incredible docu on '60s songwriting on PBS thirteen:

Soundtrack of the Century

Episode #105 - "Atlantic Crossing"
By the end of the '50s, a new songwriting discipline was emerging. The wider availability of the guitar was helping to pave the way for performers to write songs they and their groups could play. At this time, America dominated the world of popular music. But on February 7, 1964, everything changed. By that April, the Beatles occupied the first five places in Billboard's Top 100. The Beatles became a fixture as did other British bands such as the Rolling Stones, the Animals, and the Dave Clark Five. The sheer strength of their songwriting compelled American writers to raise their standards. The end result was a Golden Age of pop. Examining the work of British and American songwriters — Lennon and McCartney, Jagger and Richards, Ray Davies of the Kinks and Pete Townshend of The Who; Burt Bacharach and Hal David, Bob Dylan, Brian Wilson and Smokey Robinson — this episode traces the way in which British and American songwriters inspired each other to greater and greater heights between 1964 and 1969.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #194 on: January 27, 2007, 10:29:39 AM »
He's in a United States of Mind: Billy Joel gets to sing the Nat'l Anthem at the Super Bowl next week.