Author Topic: Music on TV  (Read 246511 times)

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #120 on: May 21, 2006, 02:10:11 PM »
gayest (and i mean that in every sense of the word) video ever: "dancing in the street," jareth and jagger. i just watched it for the first time in probably 20 years. wtf? why didn't they just kiss? and what's up with the ass shots at the end? wow.

then i channel-surfed to catch the worst line ever in a movie (what i think was "vanilla sky"): "look at us: i'm frozen, and you're dead. and i love you." and i thought watching chevy chase and demi moore yesterday was bad. back to the national geographic channel (i just watched a piece on the san bernadino train crash of '89)!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #121 on: May 25, 2006, 09:05:25 AM »
did anyone else watch American Idol last night?  Just curious.  It was actually quite good, with all kinds of guest appearances (and I'm not talking about the likes of Jerry Seinfeld, Heather Locklear, Ben Stiller & David Hasselhof - who was caught getting teary-eyed - in the audience).  Mary J. did "One" with Elliott, which brought the house down.  Burt Bacharach came out to play piano as they did a really long but well constructed medley of his hits, performed primarily by the idols, but at the end Dionne showed up for "Walk On By" looking fab.  Paris did a really good duet with Al Jarreau including a bit of trading scat back & forth.  Chris got onstage with Live & he and Ed Kowalczyk looked like twins.  Toni Braxton made an appearance but I forget with whom 'cuz she looked so hot I couldn't take my eyes off her.  Meatloaf (!) sang a duet with Katherine (apparently Bat Out of Hell III is soon to be upon us).  With about 10 minutes to go Ryan Seacrest said, "that concludes the special guest apppearance section of the program," except he was lying.  The lights go down, the band starts playing and out struts Prince!  

For a Meatloaf pic: http://www.americanidol.com/photos/?cat=27&sct=72&pic=12703
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #122 on: May 25, 2006, 09:08:00 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
did anyone else watch American Idol last night?  Just curious.  It was actually quite good, with all kinds of guest appearances (and I'm not talking about the likes of Jerry Seinfeld, Heather Locklear, Ben Stiller & David Hasselhof - who was caught getting teary-eyed - in the audience).  Mary J. did "One" with Elliott, which brought the house down.  Burt Bacharach came out to play piano as they did a really long but well constructed medley of his hits, performed primarily by the idols, but at the end Dionne showed up for "Walk On By" looking fab.  Paris did a really good duet with Al Jarreau including a bit of trading scat back & forth.  Chris got onstage with Live & he and Ed Kowalczyk looked like twins.  Toni Braxton made an appearance but I forget with whom 'cuz she looked so hot I couldn't take my eyes off her.  Meatloaf (!) sang a duet with Katherine (apparently Bat Out of Hell III is soon to be upon us).  With about 10 minutes to go Ryan Seacrest said, "that concludes the special guest apppearance section of the program," except he was lying.  The lights go down, the band starts playing and out struts Prince!  

I've stated my opinion of AI before: it's what's wrong with America. See my post about Peter's gushing in the KFOG-but-not-10@10 thread :wink:
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #123 on: May 25, 2006, 10:31:31 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"

I was watching on and off while I was working late from home.  Got sucked in again this year, watching off and on all year.

Prince was awesome.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Cyndi Lauper
« Reply #124 on: May 27, 2006, 10:01:42 PM »
right now on Soundstage KTEH.  Opening with "At Last."
Code: [Select]
At Last
Walk On By
Stay
Until You Come Back To Me
Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood
Sunny Side Of The Street
True Colors
Shine
Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Money Changes Everything
Time After Time
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #125 on: May 31, 2006, 10:02:34 PM »
Metal heaven. Kind of watching VH1 rock honors. Quenn, Godsmack honoring Judas Preist and now the Priest. Def Lep and Kiss coming. I'm going to the replay of todays set.

Disco baby!!!
Sharks bleed teal.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
The Who: Tommy and Quadrophenia
« Reply #126 on: June 03, 2006, 10:11:58 PM »
watching it now; pretty cool, except for the video director barely knows what a bass player is!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: The Who: Tommy and Quadrophenia
« Reply #127 on: June 03, 2006, 10:37:04 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"
watching it now; pretty cool, except for the video director barely knows what a bass player is!

Tommy is on right now. Pledge time for KTEH. Elton and Billy Idol performing with. Who are awesome.
Sharks bleed teal.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #128 on: June 04, 2006, 01:15:21 AM »
I'm watching an old episode of Saturday Night Live right now.  Terry Sweeney is in blackface drag playing Patti LaBelle.  The wrongness-meter just woke up the neighbors.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #129 on: June 04, 2006, 11:37:38 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
I'm watching an old episode of Saturday Night Live right now.  Terry Sweeney is in blackface drag playing Patti LaBelle.  The wrongness-meter just woke up the neighbors.

Wow, whatever happened to him?

When I belonged to a gay advertising-and-media professionals group in NY, Sweeney and his boyfriend/writing partner were guest speakers at a meeting (right after he'd left SNL).  He was actually very smart and interesting, talking mostly about the fact that the SNL folks had never dealt with an openly gay cast member before.  (He was best known for playing Nancy Reagan in drag.) He went on to write the screenplay for one of the better coming-of-age-in-the-'60s movies of the '80s, Shag.  But after that, I lost track of him.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #130 on: June 04, 2006, 12:49:37 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "Gazoo"

Wow, whatever happened to him?

When I belonged to a gay advertising-and-media professionals group in NY, Sweeney and his boyfriend/writing partner were guest speakers at a meeting (right after he'd left SNL).  He was actually very smart and interesting, talking mostly about the fact that the SNL folks had never dealt with an openly gay cast member before.  (He was best known for playing Nancy Reagan in drag.) He went on to write the screenplay for one of the better coming-of-age-in-the-'60s movies of the '80s, Shag.  But after that, I lost track of him.

A few months ago I watch an SNL retro that featured interviews with Julia Louis-Dreyfus and many others from the lost '80s years.  They talked extensively about this very episode, in which they kill off the entire cast except Jon Lovitz at the end.  Sweeney appeared very briefly, seeming very embittered about how he'd been typecast as the nelly gay throughout the season.  (Well, I thought, perhaps if he'd played any of his characters as anything but nelly gay, he might've gotten different roles, but each to his own.)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #131 on: June 09, 2006, 09:43:58 PM »
Just heard Blue Sky for a commercial about menopause. WTF?
Sharks bleed teal.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Blue Sky?
« Reply #132 on: June 09, 2006, 09:55:38 PM »
Quote from: "Alicat"

ABB?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Blue Sky?
« Reply #133 on: June 10, 2006, 11:32:20 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"
Quote from: "Alicat"

ABB?

Hmm... menopause... isn't there a song about "when the rivers run dry?"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #134 on: June 10, 2006, 12:00:09 PM »
clip from the MTV Movie Awards... Gnarls Barkley doing "Crazy", inna Star Wars stylee:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=3&entry_id=5980