Author Topic: Music on TV  (Read 246528 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Pussycat Dolls
« Reply #105 on: May 04, 2006, 11:51:51 PM »
OK, does anyone else notice that the Heineken Light commercial is the most overplayed thing on TV?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: Pussycat Dolls
« Reply #106 on: May 05, 2006, 09:18:51 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"
OK, does anyone else notice that the Heineken Light commercial is the most overplayed thing on TV?

The initial push has been a bit over the top.  One day walking to the ferry building from the office and I notice new posters for H light.  That night I see mayber 5 spots on the tube.  And they haven't let up yet.

I guess they've given up on Amstel Light.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 05, 2006, 09:28:05 AM »
Quote from: "Rod"

I wondered about that too -- I always wondered why they had the Amstel brand to begin with; I guess they thought the idea of a Heineken "light" would somehow taint the original.  But they've changed their minds, obviously.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 05, 2006, 09:53:10 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

I wondered about that too -- I always wondered why they had the Amstel brand to begin with; I guess they thought the idea of a Heineken "light" would somehow taint the original.  But they've changed their minds, obviously.

We should find out from POC if you can still get regular Amstel in Holland.  Used ta could.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 05, 2006, 01:32:15 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"

We should find out from POC if you can still get regular Amstel in Holland.  Used ta could.

they don't serve light beer here. all beer is "light" enough! unless it's belgian. i had some amstels (and heinekens) last night. i haven't seen amstel light anywhere.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 05, 2006, 02:39:31 PM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"

they don't serve light beer here. all beer is "light" enough! unless it's belgian. i had some amstels (and heinekens) last night. i haven't seen amstel light anywhere.

I wonder if your Amstel is our Amstel Light.  If so, can we get Dennis Miller in trouble for false advertising?

--Carlos Santana, 2010

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 05, 2006, 04:15:24 PM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"

I wonder if your Amstel is our Amstel Light.  If so, can we get Dennis Miller in trouble for false advertising?

i'm sure they'll claim it has something to do with customs. legal mumbo jumbo...

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #112 on: May 08, 2006, 08:05:16 AM »
Fred Neil's "Dolphins" was prominently featured on last nite's ep of  The Sopranos.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
one of my favorite songs
« Reply #113 on: May 08, 2006, 08:33:29 AM »
Fred Neil's "Dolphins" was prominently featured on last nite's ep of  The Sopranos.

Was there some sort of context?  Or was it just incidental music?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: one of my favorite songs
« Reply #114 on: May 08, 2006, 08:36:44 AM »

Context? Oh my yes. It was used during a long dialogueless sequence during which Christopher relapses into drug use. Quite amazing stuff.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 08, 2006, 08:38:25 AM »
Context? Oh my yes. It was used during a long dialogueless sequence during which Christopher relapses into drug use. Quite amazing stuff.

I've only seen a couple of episodes on DVD, so I don't know too much about the characters, but I seem to remember thinking they tried to slip hip music into the show.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 08, 2006, 08:44:19 AM »

I've only seen a couple of episodes on DVD, so I don't know too much about the characters, but I seem to remember thinking they tried to slip hip music into the show.

creator/writer David Chase makes brilliant use of music just about every week.   A couple weeks back, when Vito (the secretly gay hitman who got "outed") was on the lam and ended up in New Hampshire, where it looked like he might settle into a new life, the episode ended with "Fourth of July" by X.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #117 on: May 17, 2006, 09:37:09 PM »
Okay, it seems to be an unwritten rule that every American Idol ep has at least one random celebrity sitting in the front row that you had almost forgotten about, but tonight takes the cake.

I mean, Todd F*cking Bridges!?!?!!?  

WTF!?

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #118 on: May 18, 2006, 06:22:40 AM »
Okay, it seems to be an unwritten rule that every American Idol ep has at least one random celebrity sitting in the front row that you had almost forgotten about, but tonight takes the cake.

WTF!?

One presumes his press agent is calling in a HUGE favor.

Either that, or Todd's got a comeback series in development and this was a trial balloon to see how he registers on the cult(ural) radar.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #119 on: May 18, 2006, 07:42:55 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

WTF!?

One presumes his press agent is calling in a HUGE favor.

Either that, or Todd's got a comeback series in development and this was a trial balloon to see how he registers on the cult(ural) radar.

Watchoo talkin' 'bout, Gaz?

Dunno if you've seen Avenue Q, but one of the characters in it is "Gary Coleman", played (at least when I saw it) by a black woman. I'm wondering if they've ever offered the part to Coleman himself? He'd be a fool not to do a stint in the show -- be great publicity and it beats those cheapass commercials he does.