Author Topic: Hit Me Baby One More Time!  (Read 32503 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Geoff TV!
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2005, 10:06:42 PM »
If you tune in right now, channel 9, you can see me in the crowd during Sugar Margnolia!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Hit Me Baby One More Time!
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2005, 10:31:16 PM »
Did I miss it? Just tuned into Playing in the Band.
Sharks bleed teal.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
you blinked!
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2005, 10:37:49 PM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
Did I miss it? Just tuned into Playing in the Band.
yup, quick crowd shot during Sugar Magnolia.  Side view of big guy in blue work shirt, beard ponytail.

This really takes me back.  I went all five nights, and the first night was the first 'date' I had with Martha after she came back from Africa.  Any clubmembers who want to get the CD or DVD, see me for special deals.  It's really killer stuff, if you want to know what the Dead were like at the peak of their craft.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: Geoff TV!
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2005, 08:06:09 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"
If you tune in right now, channel 9, you can see me in the crowd during Sugar Margnolia!

I meant to bring the DVD to the last gathering, but it didn't happen.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Geoff TV!
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2005, 08:42:30 AM »
Quote from: "Rod"
I meant to bring the DVD to the last gathering, but it didn't happen.
Not sure it's worth the effort.  I know I'm in the movie, and even I miss it if I blink!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2005, 10:22:13 PM »
Guess nobody else watched HMBOMT this week...

The Knack were pretty good; their choice of a cover -- Jet's "Are You Gonna Be My Girl?" struck me as inspired, since it's as lecherous as the Knack's original material was back in '79.

Haddaway looked the best because it's only been 12 years for him. The song remained the same.

Tommy Tutone weren't bad either; oldest-looking lead singer of the nite. They covered Blink 182's "Small Things".

The Motels appeared to be "Martha Davis and some other guys"; she kept saying "I" rather than "we". Their cover -- a punked-up version of Norah Jones' "Don't Know Why" was an interesting idea that didn't quite work IMHO, but points for trying.

Lastly, there was Vanilla Ice, perhaps the most talentless idiot ever to sell 7 million copies of an LP... so of course he won.

Next week: Wang Chung, Irene Cara and Howard Jones!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
HMBOMT
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2005, 10:27:18 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

The Knack were pretty good; their choice of a cover -- Jet's "Are You Gonna Be My Girl?" struck me as inspired, since it's as lecherous as the Knack's original material was back in '79.

Haddaway looked the best because it's only been 12 years for him. The song remained the same.

Tommy Tutone weren't bad either; oldest-looking lead singer of the nite. They covered Blink 182's "Small Things".

The Motels appeared to be "Martha Davis and some other guys"; she kept saying "I" rather than "we". Their cover -- a punked-up version of Norah Jones' "Don't Know Why" was an interesting idea that didn't quite work IMHO, but points for trying.

Lastly, there was Vanilla Ice, perhaps the most talentless idiot ever to sell 7 million copies of an LP... so of course he won.

We watched.  Why?  1.  There's nothing else one.  2.  It's like driving past a car crash; you just want to look.

Last week the good guys won, this week, not so much!

I thought the Knack were awesome during My Sharona!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2005, 10:28:21 PM »

I watched on and off. Didn't know who Haddaway was but the girls in the black dressess were nice to watch. Liked Tommy Tutone, for a good time call.........I thought the Knack sucked. They had the chords OK but the vocal was lacking.
Sharks bleed teal.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: HMBOMT
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2005, 10:29:31 PM »

...Why?  1.  There's nothing else one.  2.  It's like driving past a car crash; you just want to look.

Spot on!
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2005, 10:42:15 PM »

...Why?  1.  There's nothing else one.  2.  It's like driving past a car crash; you just want to look.

Spot on!

The problem with the show, for me, is that the target audience would seem to be people 35+ (starting with folks who were in High School in the '80s and working upward). But the studio audience appears to be people who were barely born when Tommy Tutone was calling Jenny. Which explains why rap acts won two weeks in a row.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2005, 11:51:14 PM »

Spot on!

The problem with the show, for me, is that the target audience would seem to be people 35+ (starting with folks who were in High School in the '80s and working upward). But the studio audience appears to be people who were barely born when Tommy Tutone was calling Jenny. Which explains why rap acts won two weeks in a row.

You're probably right.  I just happen to think Arrested Development are a real hot band, and don't even put them in the same galaxy as Vanilla Ice, but from a certain perspective, yup, they're both rap acts.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2005, 07:35:01 AM »

Dead on about Vanilla.

I'll have to tune in next week for Wang Chung & Howard Jones, two group that were very well trained classical musicians, so they shouldn't have lost the ability to play their keyboards if nothing else.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2005, 07:40:37 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"

Dead on about Vanilla.

I'll have to tune in next week for Wang Chung & Howard Jones, two group that were very well trained classical musicians, so they shouldn't have lost the ability to play their keyboards if nothing else.

In the British version of the show, Howard Jones lost to Tiffany! So Americans don't have a monopoly on bad taste.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2005, 09:23:58 AM »
[We watched.  Why?  1.  There's nothing else one.  2.  It's like driving past a car crash; you just want to look.

I watched just long enough to see the Knack's My Sharona. Decent performance except did any one notice that they pretty much cut the entire guitar break out of the middle? Went straight from the second chorus to the coda and the end of the song. Also, I thought the mix was kinda crappy--too much audience, not enough of the band. But I guess everyone knows the song (including the twenty-somethings in the front row), so ya really don't have to hear it that well.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2005, 09:31:04 AM »
Quote from: "urth"
[We watched.  Why?  1.  There's nothing else one.  2.  It's like driving past a car crash; you just want to look.

I watched just long enough to see the Knack's My Sharona. Decent performance except did any one notice that they pretty much cut the entire guitar break out of the middle? Went straight from the second chorus to the coda and the end of the song. Also, I thought the mix was kinda crappy--too much audience, not enough of the band. But I guess everyone knows the song (including the twenty-somethings in the front row), so ya really don't have to hear it that well.

All the contestants have been doing shortened versions of their hits -- that way they can cram in five in a half hour plus commercials.  Sorry to harp on Mr Ice (as the NY Times would say) but I guess you can't go wrong being a moron in America -- makes you all the more popular (c.f. Dubya).

I still remember being with a bunch of twentysomethings in 1990 (I was 35) and commenting on this idiot Vanilla Ice I had just seen on MTV -- "he's the rap version of NKOTB", I said -- and they jumped all over me, insisting he was, like, totally awesome.  Six months later I was vindicated, of course. But I guess what you loved in yer youth will always be precious no matter how crappy it may have been.