Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1419909 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #2385 on: July 03, 2010, 08:34:48 AM »
Co-BOS votes back to back to PG&E's apocalyptic "Are You Ready?" and Charles Watts/103's giddy "Loveland."  The latter is perfect Saturday morning music.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: July 03, 2010, 09:06:23 AM »
BOS3 to the Stair Steps' "O-O-H Child," a song I truly relished when I'd hear it on 3WS at 4 in the morning on some random teenage weeknight.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: July 03, 2010, 09:55:42 AM »

It should be noted that the above link is NOT the chart from July 4, 1970 but July 11, 1970. #40 for July 4th was Sly and the Family Stone "I Want to Take You Higher." The #1 song on July 4th was Jackson 5 "The Love You Save".

Is July 11th maybe the first show? This is the same one Siruis/XM played last year but I followed along with my Billboard chart book and it was July 11th. Even at the beginning of the show, Casey says "For the week ending July 11, 1970" and if you read the cue sheets, the first one list is July 11th.

The shows were always "for the week ending..." a week from the airdate -- Billboard gave them the chart that was published the following Monday. So the show aired 4th of July wknd but the chart was dated (in the magazine) July 11th.

I'm listening to the Magic 98 marathon and will catch the 1970 show tonite.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 10:11:40 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: July 03, 2010, 10:12:58 AM »
Tuned in to the Magic 98 marathon in time for an Oct '72 chart -- Nilsson's "Spaceman" at #39, followed by a forgotten David Cassidy obscurity, "Rock Me Baby"

Then Casey seems bemused that a "Woman's Lib song" has made it into the countdown as Ms Reddy debuts.

proxy of cairo: Sam Neely, sounding like a chipmunk who wants to be Kris Kristofferson.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 10:33:28 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: July 03, 2010, 10:45:57 AM »
I'll be a round, you'll be a sirloin.

Did anyone ever do a disco version of "Midnight Rider"? This Joe Cocker version, which I'd completely forgotten, has a hint of that (interesting, considering this is 1972) but a full-blown dance-diva version would've probably worked well -- what gay disco denizens weren't looking for someone to ride them at midnight?

Speaking of which, and TANC: Chi Coltrane don't know how to handle it! It's more than she can bear!  Good thing she didn't become a hooker like Ms McCoo in the always-lovely "If I Could Reach You".
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 10:50:45 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: July 03, 2010, 11:40:01 AM »
da long-haired hippies and da afro-blacks all get togetha across da tracks...and dey PARTY!  JB on da goodfoot. Ain't nuthin' goin' on but da RENT-uh!

Even non-believing me has to BOS Rick Springfield's delightful "Speak to the Sky". I still say a '70s "Jesus Rock" set would rule on 10@10.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 11:59:01 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: July 03, 2010, 01:27:18 PM »
Jan 4, 1975: amusing to hear Casey gush about Billy Preston's "Struttin'" ("what a record!") and BJ's "The Entertainer" ("a winner!") --neither would get to the Top 20.

VHM Elvis' "Promised Land" -- at least his version made the 40; JT's take the previous summer went nowhere.

And as I walk out the door, a BOS to Glodean and the girls' underheard "I Belong To You" -- amazingly their only other Top 40 hit besides "Walking in the Rain"

SFGuy

« Reply #2392 on: July 03, 2010, 05:06:24 PM »

It should be noted that the above link is NOT the chart from July 4, 1970 but July 11, 1970. #40 for July 4th was Sly and the Family Stone "I Want to Take You Higher." The #1 song on July 4th was Jackson 5 "The Love You Save".

Is July 11th maybe the first show? This is the same one Siruis/XM played last year but I followed along with my Billboard chart book and it was July 11th. Even at the beginning of the show, Casey says "For the week ending July 11, 1970" and if you read the cue sheets, the first one list is July 11th.

The shows were always "for the week ending..." a week from the airdate -- Billboard gave them the chart that was published the following Monday. So the show aired 4th of July wknd but the chart was dated (in the magazine) July 11th.

I'm listening to the Magic 98 marathon and will catch the 1970 show tonite.

So what I heard last year WAS the first show.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: July 03, 2010, 05:31:31 PM »
CBS and Warner Brothers/RCA and all the others: I truly never get tired of "Life Is a Rock". And it's at #21 in this Oct '74 chart.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: July 03, 2010, 06:17:30 PM »
CBS and Warner Brothers/RCA and all the others: I truly never get tired of "Life Is a Rock". And it's at #21 in this Oct '74 chart.

BOS the Osmonds' finest hour: "Love Me For a Reason"

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: July 03, 2010, 07:09:12 PM »
And so it begins!  Marvin at #40, VHM Mark Lindsay's sadly forgotten "Silver Bird". Casey is talkingsofast!

BOS1 Crabby Appleton -- agreed, Gaz: ahead of its time, and I bet Eric Carmen was sitting in Cleveland listening to the radio and being quite jealous.

BOS2 Ree-Ree's very underrated "Spirit in the Dark"; I'm actually shocked to learn that it got as high as #23, since NY Top 40 stations completely rejected it.

And another VHM to another forgotten hit, John Phillips' "Mississippi" -- this and the Crabby Appleton were WNEW-FM staples that summer.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 07:21:18 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: July 03, 2010, 07:45:10 PM »
VHMs for Flaming Ember, full of the deacon's bathtub gin, and the 4 Tops, re-doing "It's All in The Game" quite nicely.

BOS3 the fab Fifth, having a fab Fourth with the then-appropriate "Save the Country" -- followed by CSNY's "Ohio". Imagine 2 political hits back-2-back on today's chart.

BOS4 the Impressions' great "Check Out Yo' Mind"; BOS5 Wilson Pickett's "Sugar Sugar" -- one of the greatest re-inventions of a song in chart history (right up there with Ray Stevens' "Misty").

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: July 03, 2010, 08:37:41 PM »
More cowbell! Casey sez "Mississippi Queen" is "gonna be a biggie" -- the very week it peaks at #21. Oops.

BOSes 6&7 to PG&E's fierce "Are You Ready?" and Charles Wright and his etc with "LoveLand", which I *lurved*at the time, after hearing it on an out-of-town station and discovering to my chagrin that NYC stations didn't care much for it.

BOS8 Miguel Rios' stirring "Song of Joy", and VHM "United We Stand", one of Tony Burrows' 4 hits that year with 4 diff studio conglomerations and certainly the loveliest of the bunch.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: July 03, 2010, 09:41:20 PM »
BOS9 Elvis, "The Wonder of You". I was really just discovering Elvis at that point in my young life. I had vague memories of him from my childhood and of course his early hits got played as oldies, but when I got into Top 40 radio in late '67 he wasn't really a current hitmaker. I remember hearing "If I can Dream" in late '68 on CKLW late at night, but it was yet another recdord that NYC stations ignored. Not until "Suspicious Minds" in the fall of '69 did he enter my consciousness in a major way. And suddenly I wanted to hear more -- and "Wonder of You" filled the bill.

Love Casey's story about Melanie being popular in Holland -- is that better than being Big in Japan?  VHM "Candles in the Rain". And ditto Blues Image -- don't bogart that mystery shit, Captain.

SFGuy

« Reply #2399 on: July 04, 2010, 02:20:54 AM »
If I had known that what I heard last year was the first show, I would have converted the DVD I had of the XM show off of Directv onto my computer to an mp3, uploaded it and you guys would have had the show last summer.