Author Topic: New Music!  (Read 250361 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: New Music!
« Reply #555 on: October 08, 2008, 12:23:06 AM »
Raphael Saadiq, The Way I See It (the former Tony! Toni! Tone! singer goes full-on retro Motown).  Mike, you especially will love the latter; he absolutely nails the vibe and it's like hearing lost Northern Soul near-hits.

I just ordered a used copy on Amazon for less than five bucks...the samples I listened to all sounded fab.

And Gaz -- speaking of old-school R&B, Seal has a new CD of covers of old soul classics. Has anyone NOT done an album of those at this point?
Grand Funk!

But seriously, had no idea he'd done that.  With the right material it could be good; he did a nice "Walk On By" several years ago.  I'm sure it'll be better than the one Vanessa Williams did last year ... and I won't even get into James Taylor's new "effort."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: October 08, 2008, 12:41:18 AM »
Raphael Saadiq, The Way I See It (the former Tony! Toni! Tone! singer goes full-on retro Motown).  Mike, you especially will love the latter; he absolutely nails the vibe and it's like hearing lost Northern Soul near-hits.

I just ordered a used copy on Amazon for less than five bucks...the samples I listened to all sounded fab.

And Gaz -- speaking of old-school R&B, Seal has a new CD of covers of old soul classics. Has anyone NOT done an album of those at this point?
Grand Funk!

But seriously, had no idea he'd done that.  With the right material it could be good; he did a nice "Walk On By" several years ago.  I'm sure it'll be better than the one Vanessa Williams did last year ... and I won't even get into James Taylor's new "effort."

lay off the grand funk! :)

i hadn't heard about the vanessa williams album, but she's one weird cookie, anyway. saw an ad in the paper yesterday for the james taylor one. looks....oh....so...exciting.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: October 15, 2008, 10:19:57 AM »
Heard John Oates interviewed on radio today (Adam Corolla Show), he performed "Lady Rain" solo acoustic (from Abandoned Luncheonette).  He has new solo CD plus a new Hall & Oates Live at the Troubadour CD & DVD out Nov 25. Details (including track listings):
http://www.antimusic.com/news/08/oct/01Hall_and_Oates_Live_CD_and_DVD_Coming.shtml

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: October 23, 2008, 08:40:55 PM »
"Dr Pepper flowing as new Guns'N'Roses album arrives":
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081024/en_nm/us_guns_pepper_1

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: October 27, 2008, 12:23:57 PM »
Boz' new CD "Speak Low" comes out Tues. Article in today's SF Chron:
Boz Scaggs hit the books to take a jazz turn
We usually think of Boz Scaggs as a silky R&B crooner, but his latest recording focuses on his jazzier side with a collection of old ballads
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/10/27/DDL613GP4R.DTL

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: October 31, 2008, 10:49:49 PM »
Springsteen's Free Halloween Treat
Bruce Springsteen has released a new video and free audio download, "A Night With The Jersey Devil," on his website.  "If you grew up in central or south Jersey, you grew up with the (legend of the) 'Jersey Devil,' Springsteen wrote on the site. "Here's a little musical Halloween treat. Have fun!"   Scroll down to Oct 31 in http://www.backstreets.com/news.html
Springsteen canceled his usual Halloween display at his home in Rumson, NJ, due to its "catastrophic success" over the past years. In a statement on his site, he said too many visitors caused concern for the safety of kids and parents this year.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 11:01:30 AM by Wayback »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: November 02, 2008, 09:07:11 AM »
"I hope you're more like Anita Baker than Robin Givens": Andre 3000 cracks me up in his guesto on John Legend's latest, "Green Light":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hd-uklv-5g

"Even Stevie Wonder got down sometimes!"
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: November 02, 2008, 11:36:53 AM »
"I hope you're more like Anita Baker than Robin Givens": Andre 3000 cracks me up in his guesto on John Legend's latest, "Green Light":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hd-uklv-5g

"Even Stevie Wonder got down sometimes!"

Speaking of Legend: I nearly posted yesterday about a wonderful song he did on Bill Maher's show this week. One of those hopeful we-can-change-the-world ballads, it would not be out-of-place on KFOG if they had the audacity (of hope) to give it a shot.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: November 06, 2008, 10:36:29 AM »
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 12:52:10 PM by Wayback »

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: November 06, 2008, 10:43:55 AM »
New Springsteen CD due in January
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081106/en_nm/us_springsteen_2

Wow, that's amazing. He's really been prolific over the last 6 years--four new albums in that period (The Rising, Devils and Dust, The Seeger Sessions, and Magic) so to add yet another set to that is pretty remarkable in these days of 4+-year lapses between records.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: November 10, 2008, 07:51:50 AM »
Just heard "Off the Record" by My Morning Jacket on the Peak -- is KFOG playing this? They oughta be.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: November 10, 2008, 04:00:04 PM »
"WORKIN' ON A DREAM" TO PREMIERE THIS SUNDAY
You might want to tune in to the Cowboys/Redskins Sunday Night Football game on Nov 16. As NBC's Al Michaels announced last night: "Next week we'll have the world premiere of Springsteen's new song 'Workin' on a Dream' set to NFL highlights at halftime at next week's game." Bruce performed an acoustic version of the new song last week in Cleveland; this will be our first chance to hear the studio recording.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: November 10, 2008, 06:25:21 PM »
MUDCRUTCH EXTENDED PLAY LIVE COMES OUT NOV. 11. 

THE STORY OF MUDCRUTCH DOCUMENTARY TO AIR ON VH1 CLASSIC BEGINNING NOV. 11.

TOM PETTY'S BURIED TREASURE RADIO SHOW BEGINS 4TH SEASON ON NOV. 13 ON XM SATELLITE RADIO.

Visit www.Mudcrutchmusic.com to stream tracks from Extended Play Live (Click 'Player' button at bottom to access the tracks.)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: November 13, 2008, 12:28:32 PM »
From an email from Bloodshot Records:

Bobby Bare Jr & Sr Producing Tribute to Shel Silverstein

Bobby and his dad are executive-producing a tribute to Shel Silverstein that will be released on Sugar Hill/Vanguard in mid 2009. The two of them have the following bands slated to contribute (and quite a few are already recorded):

Emmylou Harris

Black Keys

George Jones & Ray Price

Allison Krauss

Band of Horses

Dr. Dog

Andrew Bird

Kris Kristofferson (backed by members of the Silver Jews)

My Morning Jacket

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: November 13, 2008, 12:34:58 PM »
From an email from Bloodshot Records:

Bobby Bare Jr & Sr Producing Tribute to Shel Silverstein

Bobby and his dad are executive-producing a tribute to Shel Silverstein that will be released on Sugar Hill/Vanguard in mid 2009. The two of them have the following bands slated to contribute (and quite a few are already recorded):

Emmylou Harris

Black Keys

George Jones & Ray Price

Allison Krauss

Band of Horses

Dr. Dog

Andrew Bird

Kris Kristofferson (backed by members of the Silver Jews)

My Morning Jacket

Cool! so who gets to do "Sylvia's Mother" and "A Boy Named Sue"?  (Emmylou's already done "Queen of the Silver Dollar")