Author Topic: New Music!  (Read 250531 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: New Music!
« Reply #540 on: September 05, 2008, 11:05:34 AM »
pre-10@10 today, KBCO played 3 Doors Down's awful "When I'm Gone" -- did they always sound just like Nickelback, or was I just not paying attention?
They started out more Matchbox 20-esque, but have meatheaded themselves over the years.  Apparently they're a military favorite.

indeed, they had that "Citizen Soldier" song earlier this year -- saw that video entirely too many times, as it was part of the AMC Theaters "pre-show" for months.

I own & still quite like 3DD's first album, but never got into Nickelback at all, nor any subsequent 3DD. 

On other new music notes, I heard & really liked the first cut from the new Metallica erlier this week.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: September 16, 2008, 03:47:33 PM »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: September 16, 2008, 08:28:45 PM »
another comeback for Tom Jones:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/09/16/entertainment/e151458D85.DTL&tsp=1

The Reload album is uneven, but I do recommend it.  The covers are nothing short of idiosyncratic (he and the Cardigans do "Burning Down the House"), but when they work, they WORK.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: October 06, 2008, 02:29:03 PM »
It's been ages since I bought new music on CD, but I just picked up two great ones yesterday: Jefferson Starship, Jefferson's Tree of Liberty (Paul Kantner and co.'s attempt to recover the Weavers' legacy of folk harmonizing and commentary, through covers including Dylan's "Chimes of Freedom"), and Raphael Saadiq, The Way I See It (the former Tony! Toni! Tone! singer goes full-on retro Motown).  Mike, you especially will love the latter; he absolutely nails the vibe and it's like hearing lost Northern Soul near-hits.

Maybe I'll be able to compile a full Best of '08 mix at year's end after all!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: October 06, 2008, 02:50:37 PM »
Raphael Saadiq, The Way I See It (the former Tony! Toni! Tone! singer goes full-on retro Motown).  Mike, you especially will love the latter; he absolutely nails the vibe and it's like hearing lost Northern Soul near-hits.

Thanks for the tip! Doesn't Solange Knowles (Beyonce's sister, tho' she HATES being called that) have a similar, Supremes-y CD out? They were plugging it heavily on VH-1 Soul a few weeks back during their Prince marathon.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #545 on: October 06, 2008, 03:22:57 PM »
It's been ages since I bought new music on CD, but I just picked up two great ones yesterday: Jefferson Starship, Jefferson's Tree of Liberty (Paul Kantner and co.'s attempt to recover the Weavers' legacy of folk harmonizing and commentary, through covers including Dylan's "Chimes of Freedom")
I've been waiting for this one; what do you think?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: October 06, 2008, 07:52:27 PM »
It's been ages since I bought new music on CD, but I just picked up two great ones yesterday: Jefferson Starship, Jefferson's Tree of Liberty (Paul Kantner and co.'s attempt to recover the Weavers' legacy of folk harmonizing and commentary, through covers including Dylan's "Chimes of Freedom")
I must confess that I had no idea of this disc's existence until I stumbled upon it at the Virgin Megastore yesterday.  (Very encouraging, fwiw, that Virgin chose to stock several copies at all.)  I've listened to half of it and really like what I'm hearing.  Paul can barely carry a tune on his own any more, but he harmonizes well, and it's nice to see him show his sense of humor again.  (He's gotten grumpy over the years.)  Especially dug "Santy Anno" and the communal-vocal take on "Chimes of Freedom," on which David Freiberg sounds especially good.  (His sound is so similar to Marty's sometimes it's frightening.)  I'd be so happy if this actually charted.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: October 06, 2008, 07:54:36 PM »
Raphael Saadiq, The Way I See It (the former Tony! Toni! Tone! singer goes full-on retro Motown).  Mike, you especially will love the latter; he absolutely nails the vibe and it's like hearing lost Northern Soul near-hits.

Thanks for the tip! Doesn't Solange Knowles (Beyonce's sister, tho' she HATES being called that) have a similar, Supremes-y CD out? They were plugging it heavily on VH-1 Soul a few weeks back during their Prince marathon.
I heard one Solange song a couple months ago - "Sandcastle Disco," I think it was called - but didn't get a retro vibe from it.

Is VH1 Soul worth devoting time to?  It's one of the hundreds of channels I've not even passed through since getting cable again.

And really.  On your lunch break tomorrow go buy the Saadiq album.  It's immediately my #1 album of the year.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: October 06, 2008, 09:04:54 PM »
Is VH1 Soul worth devoting time to?  It's one of the hundreds of channels I've not even passed through since getting cable again.

Their regular programming is a lot of mostly-current videos. Nice to know *somebody* is still showing videos, but not terribly interesting to me. But when they devote a weekend to a theme, like Prince, or some of the terrific Brit-produced "History of Soul" documentaries they show occasionally, that's a different story.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #549 on: October 06, 2008, 09:47:46 PM »
I must confess that I had no idea of this disc's existence until I stumbled upon it at the Virgin Megastore yesterday.  (Very encouraging, fwiw, that Virgin chose to stock several copies at all.)  I've listened to half of it and really like what I'm hearing.  Paul can barely carry a tune on his own any more, but he harmonizes well, and it's nice to see him show his sense of humor again.  (He's gotten grumpy over the years.)  Especially dug "Santy Anno" and the communal-vocal take on "Chimes of Freedom," on which David Freiberg sounds especially good.  (His sound is so similar to Marty's sometimes it's frightening.)  I'd be so happy if this actually charted.
charted?  Are you nuts?
 ;D ;D ;D
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: October 07, 2008, 03:52:51 AM »
another comeback for Tom Jones:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/09/16/entertainment/e151458D85.DTL&tsp=1

"While his 2000 album "Reload" was a hit in Europe and elsewhere (buoyed by the club hit "Sex Bomb"), it was never released in the U.S. — which Jones calls "a shame."

That's just wrong. I wonder why not?

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: October 07, 2008, 03:55:55 AM »
In other news, I'm all hot and bothered over Kings of Leon. I know I must be ages late arriving to the gate, but damn...it's sexy music!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: October 07, 2008, 09:04:30 AM »
In other news, I'm all hot and bothered over Kings of Leon. I know I must be ages late arriving to the gate, but damn...it's sexy music!

There must be something to it; it's #1 in the UK for 3 weeks running.  I haven't heard it yet myself.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: October 07, 2008, 09:52:03 AM »

I just ordered a used copy on Amazon for less than five bucks...the samples I listened to all sounded fab.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: October 07, 2008, 11:54:18 AM »

I just ordered a used copy on Amazon for less than five bucks...the samples I listened to all sounded fab.

And Gaz -- speaking of old-school R&B, Seal has a new CD of covers of old soul classics. Has anyone NOT done an album of those at this point?