Author Topic: New Music!  (Read 254785 times)

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: New Music!
« Reply #525 on: May 30, 2008, 02:30:11 PM »
There is a link on the main KBCO page to a the new album of Tom Waits covers by...

...wait for it...

<<<---Scarlett Jo!

Vin Scelsa played a couple of songs from it on his show from last weekend (I heard only the first one). Mike and I commented on it over on the Internet radio thread. But what I heard wasn't too good.

they've been playing the album on spanish radio for about a month now. not at all exciting, even with the bowie cameo.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #526 on: May 31, 2008, 08:59:53 PM »
On the way home today, I heard a filler track on KPIG-AM I really dug.  I had to call the station to find the title, and it was by a band called Tempest, and the song was called "Surfing to Mecca."  It's not on iTunes or Amazon MP3, and I wonder if any of you know any more about this.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: June 09, 2008, 07:35:19 AM »
Just got the new Aimee Mann, @#%&*! Smilers.  I love her body of work - her previous studio album, The Forgotten Arm, was my #1 album of 2004 - but this one's leaving me a little cold on first listen.  It's not bad at all, just not sufficiently distinctive from TFA or its predecessor, Lost in Space.  Same lullabies of losers and mockers of miscreants.  But it might grow on me.

Also just got the newly reissued Deluxe edition of Tumbleweed Connection, a wonderfully cohesive album.  Found myself listening to "Where to Now, St. Peter?" on repeat while on my way home from a run.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: June 09, 2008, 07:47:04 AM »
Just got the new Aimee Mann, @#%&*! Smilers.  I love her body of work - her previous studio album, The Forgotten Arm, was my #1 album of 2004 - but this one's leaving me a little cold on first listen.  It's not bad at all, just not sufficiently distinctive from TFA or its predecessor, Lost in Space.  Same lullabies of losers and mockers of miscreants.  But it might grow on me.

Also just got the newly reissued Deluxe edition of Tumbleweed Connection, a wonderfully cohesive album.  Found myself listening to "Where to Now, St. Peter?" on repeat while on my way home from a run.

"Freeway" is the emphasis track, as they say, and KFOG's giving it a big push.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: July 28, 2008, 01:55:50 PM »
Hey, Hey, we're the Monks ...
CD of Gregorian Chants hits the charts:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2008/07/28/findrelig.DTL

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: July 28, 2008, 02:59:57 PM »

Didn't this already happen, like, 15 years ago?  It even spawned a parody, the Benzedrine Monks who, yes, did a "chant" version of the Monkees theme called "Hey Hey We're the Monks".

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: July 28, 2008, 05:17:47 PM »

Didn't this already happen, like, 15 years ago?  It even spawned a parody, the Benzedrine Monks who, yes, did a "chant" version of the Monkees theme called "Hey Hey We're the Monks".

...which I copied from you and - TANC - last weekend that song came up on my MP3 player plugged into my car stereo while I was driving with the family.  They didn't get it.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: July 30, 2008, 11:11:37 AM »
Just heard the new Rick Springfield single: "What's Victoria's Secret?" -- a total "Jessie's Girl " clone.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: August 21, 2008, 12:17:20 PM »
I've finally heard the new Kid Rock song, "All Summer Long," that samples "Werewolves of London" and "Sweet Home Alabama."  I'm actually kind of glad Warren Zevon's dead.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: August 21, 2008, 06:41:10 PM »
I've finally heard the new Kid Rock song, "All Summer Long," that samples "Werewolves of London" and "Sweet Home Alabama."  I'm actually kind of glad Warren Zevon's dead.
We were on our pub crawl for our 40th high school reunion this last weekend, and heard this song that sounded like Werewolves, then SHA, but we were too lazy to go look at the jukebox.  It was Kid Rock?

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: August 22, 2008, 12:46:56 AM »

i caught the first part of the video a few weeks ago at a bar. i said, "somebody has sampled warren zevon!" and my buddy said, "you don't know what you're talking about - that's skynrd!"

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: New Journey song
« Reply #536 on: September 01, 2008, 01:21:13 PM »
I know at this time it's not very new, but I happened to get a good listen to the beginning today, and it really doesn't sound much like Journey.  The beginning is all Van Halen, the main guitar tone sounds like Boston, with the exception of some fast show-off guitar runs that do sound like Neal Schon.  Yeah, the vocalist has the somewhat standard castrato big hair tone we've come to associate with post-Rolie Journey.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: September 05, 2008, 08:53:39 AM »
pre-10@10 today, KBCO played 3 Doors Down's awful "When I'm Gone" -- did they always sound just like Nickelback, or was I just not paying attention?

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: September 05, 2008, 10:05:23 AM »
pre-10@10 today, KBCO played 3 Doors Down's awful "When I'm Gone" -- did they always sound just like Nickelback, or was I just not paying attention?
They started out more Matchbox 20-esque, but have meatheaded themselves over the years.  Apparently they're a military favorite.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: September 05, 2008, 10:09:45 AM »
They started out more Matchbox 20-esque, but have meatheaded themselves over the years.  Apparently they're a military favorite.

indeed, they had that "Citizen Soldier" song earlier this year -- saw that video entirely too many times, as it was part of the AMC Theaters "pre-show" for months.