Author Topic: New Music!  (Read 254797 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #480 on: October 31, 2007, 10:44:40 AM »
Quote from: "Rod"
Thanks for posting -- looks good.  This tour I am definitely going to get to a show.

Me too!
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #481 on: November 02, 2007, 10:51:26 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "darryl"
Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings, 100 Days, 100 Nights: GO GET THIS RECORD.  You will not be disappointed.  Damn do they cook.

Sharon Jones et al?  Oh yeah, heard them last year up at Bumbershoot.  Got some video and photos.  Sorry I didn't hype them up more to y'all back then.

She, and they, are a force to be reckoned with.  Amazing live show.  And her first two albums, Dap-Dippin' w/ SJATDK and Naturally are also great.  Will need to check out the new stuff.

We also discussed them in the Capital Gold/Internet radio thread ; KPOO played a bunch of their stuff Monday and was floored by their '60-style cover of Janet Jackson's "What Have You Done For Me lately", which sounded like it was recorded in '67.

So 100 Days/100 Nights got a rave in EW and I went to Amazon; turns out the Janet Jackson cover I heard is from their 5-year-old Dap Dippin'.  EW says the new CD is "less James Brown and more Booker T".

Mike, if you don't get it first, I'm getting you a copy for Christmas.  The bonus disc that comes with it is a winner too, in case I haven't hyped that.

Mmm, must get.  Check out the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ouI5KcyHfE

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #482 on: November 02, 2007, 11:01:45 AM »
OH!  I actually wanted to post this tidbit:

It's the Dap-Kings (or most of them) that backed up Amy Winehouse on her Back To Black album, and on her tour (cut short by her having to, er, go to rehab?)

Of course there's no comparison:

"Playing with Amy is cool, but playing with Sharon is an experience."
http://www.spinner.com/2007/05/22/the-dap-kings-dish-on-winehouse/

Aiyiyi -- Sharon Jones at Bimbos on Wednesday, December 5.  DRAT -- it's a dreaded "school night".  Damn we need a local (San Jose) babysitter.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #483 on: November 02, 2007, 11:12:30 AM »
Quote from: "darryl"
OH!  I actually wanted to post this tidbit:

It's the Dap-Kings (or most of them) that backed up Amy Winehouse on her Back To Black album, and on her tour (cut short by her having to, er, go to rehab?)

Ah said "No No NO!"
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #484 on: November 02, 2007, 05:00:32 PM »
Heard while waiting for Jamba Juice today:

Sharon Jones and the Dap-King's "This Land Is Your Land"

5 min later...

The Police's "One World" (one of my faves, very seldom played on KFOG or 10@10, even.  And even though Dave&Co may say so, I consider 10@10 outside of the standard KFOG playlists.  Way outside.  Unless it's a 90s 10@10.  :P)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #485 on: November 12, 2007, 10:09:52 AM »
Prince has posted a new track to his website:

http://www.3121.com/jam/music/prince-pfunk.mp3

Holy hell, he brings back his "Camille" voice!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #486 on: November 13, 2007, 03:12:22 AM »
Prince has posted a new track to his website:

http://www.3121.com/jam/music/prince-pfunk.mp3

Holy hell, he brings back his "Camille" voice!

"look here, weave-alicious!"

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #487 on: November 23, 2007, 03:13:00 PM »
A nice piece on the latest from Chuck Prophet, a musician who's been recommended to me by many, including at least three working musicians:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/11/23/DDTMT820V.DTL

(And he even mentions the English Congregation!)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #488 on: November 24, 2007, 09:24:21 AM »
A nice piece on the latest from Chuck Prophet, a musician who's been recommended to me by many, including at least three working musicians:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/11/23/DDTMT820V.DTL

(And he even mentions the English Congregation!)

i liked the article better than the song.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: New Music!
« Reply #489 on: December 05, 2007, 07:21:12 PM »
Heard a new song this afternoon on Annalisa's show that sounded really good, but was more than a little reminiscent of The Band circa Big Pink. Turned out to be Marc Cohn, and the song is called "Listening to Levon" which, assuming he means "Helm," explains the similarity to the Band. His voice has mellowed a little, and the song, derivative as it was, really sounded nice. I'd expect to hear it sometime on New Releases Thursday. Definitely worth a listen.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: December 05, 2007, 08:56:34 PM »
Heard a new song this afternoon on Annalisa's show that sounded really good, but was more than a little reminiscent of The Band circa Big Pink. Turned out to be Marc Cohn, and the song is called "Listening to Levon" which, assuming he means "Helm," explains the similarity to the Band. His voice has mellowed a little, and the song, derivative as it was, really sounded nice. I'd expect to hear it sometime on New Releases Thursday. Definitely worth a listen.

You mean it's not about listening to Madman Across the Water in 1971? ;)

They've been playing that for a few weeks now, as has KBCO and KPIG. Nice tune, and something of a comeback for Cohn.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: December 05, 2007, 09:42:33 PM »

You mean it's not about listening to Madman Across the Water in 1971? ;)

They've been playing that for a few weeks now, as has KBCO and KPIG. Nice tune, and something of a comeback for Cohn.

[tasteless] I need another album from Marc Cohn like I need a hole in the head. [/tasteless]

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: December 06, 2007, 10:22:04 AM »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: December 20, 2007, 11:28:29 PM »
Anne Murray has a new duets album out!  Re-recording her best-known songs.  This one came as a shock:

"I Just Fall in Love Again (with Dusty Springfield)"

Mike, go ahead and say it.

http://www.annemurrayduets.com/

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: January 03, 2008, 10:52:32 AM »
Regarding the new Joe Jackson mentioned a few posts ago in this thread, today Benson the PD played a track called "Invisible Man", and I thought it was excellent.  Some fogheads called in and said a concert date is set for May 9, but Benson couldn't confirm that.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010