Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 415665 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #1185 on: April 16, 2009, 03:15:58 PM »
I guess this as good a place as any for this:

John Madden is giving up the microphone. He's retiring.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/John-Madden-retires-from-NBC-after-29-seasons-in?urn=nfl,156802

Cris Collinsworth will be taking his place.

If Collinsworth and Al develop any kind of chemistry What. So. Ever. I may just start watching again.

I have found Madden utterly insufferable on MNF/SNF for years (actually I've never watched 1 second on SNF for that reason), but for whatever reason, he was always quite interesting in his 15 minute bits on KCBS.  Maybe he dumbed it down for the flyover states & gauged it up for the Bay Area - I don't know. 

Furthermore, now maybe Wayback or I will bump into him on the streets of downtown Pleasanton someday.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 03:19:59 PM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Giants break losing streak
« Reply #1186 on: April 17, 2009, 09:58:44 PM »
finally!  I was sure they were going to give it away, with Haren pitching, but they saved the win for Sanchez.   Does Brian Wilson have a Mohawk underneath that cap?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: Giants break losing streak
« Reply #1187 on: April 17, 2009, 10:45:04 PM »
finally!  I was sure they were going to give it away, with Haren pitching, but they saved the win for Sanchez.   Does Brian Wilson have a Mohawk underneath that cap?
He does have quite the hair do.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: April 18, 2009, 11:22:44 AM »

It's actually a faux-hawk, I think.  The other nite I was watching a godawful movie on Sci-Fi Channel about Vikings and the star was Zachary Ty Brian (yes, the oldest kid from Home Improvement, he's now in his 20s) and he (a) had a faux-hawk and (b) spoke like a total Valley Dude, even tho' it was supposed to be 400 B.C. And everyone else in the cast was vaguely British!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: April 18, 2009, 01:03:46 PM »

It's actually a faux-hawk, I think.  The other nite I was watching a godawful movie on Sci-Fi Channel about Vikings and the star was Zachary Ty Brian (yes, the oldest kid from Home Improvement, he's now in his 20s) and he (a) had a faux-hawk and (b) spoke like a total Valley Dude, even tho' it was supposed to be 400 B.C. And everyone else in the cast was vaguely British!
I don't really know what a true Mohawk is, Wilson's seems a semi-fauxhawk.  It's styled just like a fauxhawk on top, but the hair is cut shorter on the sides.  Is a true mohawk shaved down to the scalp?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: April 18, 2009, 08:52:57 PM »
I don't really know what a true Mohawk is, Wilson's seems a semi-fauxhawk.  It's styled just like a fauxhawk on top, but the hair is cut shorter on the sides.  Is a true mohawk shaved down to the scalp?

Yup. Think DeNiro in Taxi Driver.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: April 18, 2009, 11:28:39 PM »

Yup. Think DeNiro in Taxi Driver.
never saw that movie.  Yeah, I know "You talkin' to me?"

« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 11:31:08 PM by ggould »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: April 25, 2009, 10:06:17 PM »
Sharks hang on and win in OT -- they'll play game 6 Monday.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: April 27, 2009, 02:49:14 PM »

In a rarity for me, I watched their first and second goals on TV (at a friend's house) up through the imressive penatly kill to lose the 2nd period.  Steve then let our kids (4 boys btwn 6-9) take over to play WII saying, "If they blow this I don't wanna watch."

Ha! If we only knew.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: April 27, 2009, 04:26:35 PM »

In a rarity for me, I watched their first and second goals on TV (at a friend's house) up through the imressive penatly kill to lose the 2nd period.  Steve then let our kids (4 boys btwn 6-9) take over to play WII saying, "If they blow this I don't wanna watch."

Ha! If we only knew.

I watched the second and thirds periods and the overtime.  I asked my buddy the next day how he enjoyed it -- he's the big hockey fan -- and he said he turned it off and went to bed.  He had an early tee time, and didn't want to stay up til midnight to watch them lose in double overtime. 

He's fired up for tonight's game though...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: April 28, 2009, 08:54:05 AM »
So, Sunday afternoon around 4, I'm driving home from seeing a movie at the Lumiere (Polk & California), and I'm on Pine betw. Polk & Van Ness. And I see this tall bald black guy walking down the street and I think -- "that looks a little like Barry Bonds... naaah, couldn't be."  Fast-forward to Mon nite; I catch the end of the Giants game and sure enuf, Barry's at the game. Apparently he stayed in town after meeting with the Dalai Lama on Sunday. Coincidence?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/giants/detail?entry_id=39219

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: May 07, 2009, 09:08:44 AM »
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: May 07, 2009, 09:17:02 AM »
Poor Manny
out for 50
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-manny-ramirez8-2009may08,0,6324894.story

yeah, I'm cryin' big tears for Manny. LOL!  Thank GAWD the Giants didn't take the bait and sign him.  An opportunity for the 2nd-place G-Men if this hurts the Dodgers.  Woo Hoo!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: May 07, 2009, 11:57:29 AM »

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: May 07, 2009, 03:11:30 PM »
Poor Manny
out for 50
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-manny-ramirez8-2009may08,0,6324894.story

yeah, I'm cryin' big tears for Manny. LOL!  Thank GAWD the Giants didn't take the bait and sign him.  An opportunity for the 2nd-place G-Men if this hurts the Dodgers.  Woo Hoo!

He's a freakin idiot, if you ask me. And right now there are tons of Fantasy baseball "owners" who are cursing his name. A friend of mine has him on teams in *two* different leagues. She's hating life right now.
Let's get right to it.