Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 415846 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #1110 on: November 11, 2008, 09:06:57 AM »
First big trade for the Bay area teams this off-season: supposedly the A's are dealing Huston Street and two others to Colorado for Matt Holliday.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/11/10/SPJF141MDF.DTL&tsp=1

appears to be a done deal. Well,they do need a bat, and I won't miss creepy Houston Street. Here's Ratto's take:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/11/11/SPBO141RIO.DTL

In other news, the Giants are "open" to pursuing Manny Ramirez. I would stop going to Giants games if they signed him. Can't f--ng stand the guy.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: November 11, 2008, 10:04:30 AM »
In other news, the Giants are "open" to pursuing Manny Ramirez. I would stop going to Giants games if they signed him. Can't f--ng stand the guy.

Jeez, if that's the best Bill Neukom (new G's general partner) can do, he's going to have a pretty short honeymoon with the fans. I bet there a lot of folks out there that feel the same way you do. Having to deal with the whole "Manny being Manny" thing would be just as divisive in the clubhouse as Bonds ever was.

In happier Giants news, the NL Cy Young winner will be announced at 11am. Our Man Lincecum is a frontrunner--his stats outpaced the competition in everything except wins.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: November 11, 2008, 10:45:41 AM »

Jeez, if that's the best Bill Neukom (new G's general partner) can do, he's going to have a pretty short honeymoon with the fans. I bet there a lot of folks out there that feel the same way you do. Having to deal with the whole "Manny being Manny" thing would be just as divisive in the clubhouse as Bonds ever was.

In happier Giants news, the NL Cy Young winner will be announced at 11am. Our Man Lincecum is a frontrunner--his stats outpaced the competition in everything except wins.

There's a surprising number of great candidates for the NL Cy this year.  Brandon Webb, despite his 22 wins, should not get it; I think it should go to Lincecum, but cases can be made for Santana, Sabathia, and Lidge as well.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: November 11, 2008, 10:52:02 AM »

There's a surprising number of great candidates for the NL Cy this year.  Brandon Webb, despite his 22 wins, should not get it; I think it should go to Lincecum, but cases can be made for Santana, Sabathia, and Lidge as well.

Agreed on Webb--he had a decent year, but he's only mentioned because of his 22 wins--Lincecum wiped the floor with him in pretty much all other categories. And you're right about the other three. Lidge is the one I'm most worried about, as he was lights-out for the Phils all year. But we'll know soon.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: November 11, 2008, 11:00:53 AM »

Agreed on Webb--he had a decent year, but he's only mentioned because of his 22 wins--Lincecum wiped the floor with him in pretty much all other categories. And you're right about the other three. Lidge is the one I'm most worried about, as he was lights-out for the Phils all year. But we'll know soon.

Is Sabathia eligible in either league, since he split his time between AL and NL teams?

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: November 11, 2008, 11:12:43 AM »

Is Sabathia eligible in either league, since he split his time between AL and NL teams?

If he is, he better hope he's got a chance in the AL. Cuz Lincecum got it for the National league--WOO HOOOO!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/11/11/SPLR142BMU.DTL
Let's get right to it.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: December 04, 2008, 11:22:42 AM »
Nice pickup for the Giants.  Now they just need a power hitter, and the west will be won.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/12/04/SPO714I5PS.DTL&tsp=1
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: December 04, 2008, 12:44:48 PM »
Nice pickup for the Giants.  Now they just need a power hitter, and the west will be won.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/12/04/SPO714I5PS.DTL&tsp=1

Well good luck on that.  He was great when the Cardinals first got him, but he (imho) is a diffident clubhouse presence at best these days, could be a real chemistry risk among the up&comers on the Giants' rostro.  Hope for y'alls' sake I'm wrong.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: December 23, 2008, 02:10:09 PM »
Jeezus, not only do they have Sabathia, but now the Yanks are signing Texiera:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/24/sports/baseball/24yankees.html?hp

And I didn't even realize they had gotten Nick Swisher from Chicago, tho' he'll apparently be trade-bait now.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: December 26, 2008, 10:21:49 PM »
The Warriors beat Boston.  Nice.  They can play with the big boys!
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: December 26, 2008, 11:05:15 PM »
Giants sign Johnson, adding the Big Unit to the pitching rotation. WTH? I'm surprised. I like his style. How much we still paying Zito?

http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081226&content_id=3728929&vkey=news_sf&fext=.jsp&c_id=sf

« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 11:10:41 PM by Alicat »
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: January 06, 2009, 12:46:43 PM »
Some big news from the A's: Jason Giambi may be coming back. They're close to signing him as their annual aging big bat for 2009. Wonder how long it takes him to get the 3-day beard going again? (Answer: 3 days...<rimshot>)

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/01/05/SP22153U9F.DTL
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: January 06, 2009, 02:23:17 PM »
Some big news from the A's: Jason Giambi may be coming back. They're close to signing him as their annual aging big bat for 2009. Wonder how long it takes him to get the 3-day beard going again? (Answer: 3 days...<rimshot>)

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/01/05/SP22153U9F.DTL

I'm disappointed by this; one wonders how desperate he must be (seriously? no one else wants him?) to come back to a stadium where he has been loudly booed Every. Single. Time. he's come up to bat as a visiting player.  And he's just as 'roids-tainted as Bonds, IMHO. So WTF?  Between this and the Giants-chasing-Manny rumors (I absolutely hate Ramirez), I guess I may not be going to many ballgames next season.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: January 06, 2009, 04:23:59 PM »
Giants sign Johnson, adding the Big Unit to the pitching rotation. WTH? I'm surprised. I like his style. How much we still paying Zito?

http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081226&content_id=3728929&vkey=news_sf&fext=.jsp&c_id=sf

The front office is finally going to do something about those seagulls! 
~CPL593H~

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: January 07, 2009, 01:08:17 AM »
one wonders how desperate he must be (seriously? no one else wants him?)

Once Pat the Bat inked with Tampa Bay, pretty much yup.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”