Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 415796 times)

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #1095 on: October 27, 2008, 08:41:43 PM »
In an ugly 39-degree Philly rain, Tampa Bay scores in the top of the 6th to tie it at 2, just before the game is called.  I'm sure Philly fans are pissed to have been a strike away from an official win, but it would have been kinda crappy to win the WS on an incomplete game.  Presumably they'll pick up tomorrow.  What a mess.

First time a game has been suspended (and resumed the next day) in WS history, I think. Well, because of rain... earthquakes are another category  ;)

Meanwhile... WTF just happened on MNF? I tuned away for 10 minutes to catch a Rachel Maddow segment and the score went from 14-17 to 14-31 (!!).  Titans will go to 7 and 0.
I'm counting on a TEN win. Still a minute to go. I'll take 11 correct picks this week! Yay. They called the WS later than I thought they would. I'm now side tracked with MLS, the Earthquakes are playing at home vs. Toronto and winning 1-0.
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: October 27, 2008, 09:11:28 PM »
First time a game has been suspended (and resumed the next day) in WS history, I think. Well, because of rain... earthquakes are another category  ;)

Meanwhile... WTF just happened on MNF? I tuned away for 10 minutes to catch a Rachel Maddow segment and the score went from 14-17 to 14-31 (!!).  Titans will go to 7 and 0.

But the earthquake game hadn't started yet, so slightly different circumstances, although you're right about the postponement.

As for MNF, I was sitting in a pizza parlor waiting for a pie during that 10-minute stretch. TN drove for a touchdown, got it along with the extra point, then intercepted only a couple of plays after the following kickoff and scored again on the next play. Boom, 14 quick points.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: October 28, 2008, 11:34:11 AM »

But the earthquake game hadn't started yet, so slightly different circumstances, although you're right about the postponement.

The WS will not continue tonite -- Wednesday at the earliest (still raining in Philly).
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: October 30, 2008, 08:32:23 AM »
Champs At Last!  Phils win World Series (scroll in here):
http://www.philly.com/

Phantastic!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: November 05, 2008, 09:43:28 AM »
Pure bliss at the Shark Tank last night. JR as fab as ever. I got a wink as he passed by in the pregame skate. I live for that! Onto the game and it was a Ryane Clowe smackdown. Didn't realize it last night but Ryane, with an assist, a goal and a major fight (he won), made a Gordie Howe hat trick, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordie_Howe_hat_trick.

Sharks are unbeaten at home and have the best NHL record right now. I'm going back Saturday for the Stars game.
Sharks bleed teal.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: November 05, 2008, 04:52:32 PM »
regarding the Raiders' suckitude, one of the great lead-ins of any sports column I have ever read (from the Merc):

"Just when you thought the Raiders had hit rock bottom, they broke out the shovels and dug themselves even deeper into the earth's crust."

In case you missed it the Raiders finished the 1st half with 13 offensive plays totalling -2 yds (which is truly offensive in the other sense of the word) and zero first downs, meanwhile ATL had 20 first downs, 309 yds, 3 sacks & scored the first 4 times they got the ball.  The Falcons in the end had more first downs passing (12) than Oakland had net yards passing.

Deep into the earth's crust indeed!

(sorry Rod!)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 04:57:42 PM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: November 07, 2008, 09:01:03 AM »
Sharks stay #1 with a shootout win. Thank you again Ryane Clowe. Wow!
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: November 07, 2008, 10:02:01 AM »

Whose name Peter Finch mispronounced as Clow (rhymes with "wow!") rather than "cloh".

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: November 07, 2008, 11:03:11 AM »

Whose name Peter Finch mispronounced as Clow (rhymes with "wow!") rather than "cloh".
Have you been to a game yet to see those HOT boys on skates?
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: November 09, 2008, 11:27:59 AM »

I was there last nite for another fab last-minute victory (Marleau scores the winning goal with 30 secs left!), keeping them unbeaten at home (9-0 at the Tank).  BONUS: Greg Kihn did the National Anthem. Wonder if he's sent a resume to KFOG?

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: November 09, 2008, 11:30:01 AM »
I don't know if I've ever seen a pro team look as bad as the Rams right now.  Down 37-0 to the Jets, and it's not yet halftime.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: November 09, 2008, 11:33:27 AM »
I don't know if I've ever seen a pro team look as bad as the Rams right now.  Down 37-0 to the Jets, and it's not yet halftime.

Jesus Christmas: Rams turned it over AGAIN with 11 seconds left (their 4th of the half), and Feely kicked a 55-yarder to make it 40-0 at the half.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: November 09, 2008, 09:21:46 PM »

I was there last nite for another fab last-minute victory (Marleau scores the winning goal with 30 secs left!), keeping them unbeaten at home (9-0 at the Tank).  BONUS: Greg Kihn did the National Anthem. Wonder if he's sent a resume to KFOG?
Dang, I was there too. We coulda said howdy. As always, I had the best time ever. Nice little bag giveaway. It was indeed spectacular. I was ready for OT and then Marleau wowed us. I feel a tad apprehensive when Greg sings. Feels like we typically lose. He acknowledges that during the games vs. the Stars, when he sings the anthem and we boo the word stars, he always hesitates to allow for the boo and then carries on.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: November 10, 2008, 07:47:52 AM »

Dang, I was there too. We coulda said howdy. As always, I had the best time ever. Nice little bag giveaway. It was indeed spectacular. I was ready for OT and then Marleau wowed us. I feel a tad apprehensive when Greg sings. Feels like we typically lose. He acknowledges that during the games vs. the Stars, when he sings the anthem and we boo the word stars, he always hesitates to allow for the boo and then carries on.

Personally, I think that booing of the word "stars" in the middle of the National freakin' Anthem  is incredibly stupid and annoying and rude. Where's right-wing talk radio on THAT issue?

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: November 10, 2008, 01:56:20 PM »
First big trade for the Bay area teams this off-season: supposedly the A's are dealing Huston Street and two others to Colorado for Matt Holliday.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/11/10/SPJF141MDF.DTL&tsp=1
Let's get right to it.