Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 415857 times)

SFGuy

Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #1080 on: October 22, 2008, 09:18:39 PM »
President linked to the champion:

The World Series champion can often dictate a presidential choice, as both will be decided in the next 13 days. According to research conducted by the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum in Cooperstown, New York, since 1908 (the first year of a World Series and presidential election in concert), there have been 25 presidential elections, and in 15 cases – 60 percent – the results of the Series and the election are tied to this general formula: If the A.L. team wins the World Series, the Presidential choice will be a Republican. If the N.L. team wins, the President will be a Democrat. In those 25 presidential elections since 1908, Republicans have been elected 17 times against just eight Democrats in that period. Coincidentally,
the A.L. holds the same 17-8 advantage in World Series wins in those years, just not the same years.

Of the 17 A.L. victories, 10 have resulted in a same-year Republican victory (59%). Of the eight N.L.titles in election years, five have resulted in a Democrat (62.5%). Republicans and A.L. teams are both riding winning streaks in election years, with the 2000 Yankees and 2004 Red Sox capturing titles over their N.L. counterparts in the years that George W. Bush (former managing general partner of the Texas Rangers) won the presidency, followed by re-election. Prior to the 2000 World Series, the formula did not hold true from 1980 until 1996, except in 1984, as the A.L. Detroit Tigers won, weeks before re-election of Republican Ronald Reagan. From 1952 to 1976, the formula reflected the World Series champion and the presidential election in the seven straight elections in that span, four A.L. champions followed by four Republican presidents, and three N.L. World Champs followed by three Democratic presidents.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: October 22, 2008, 09:41:17 PM »
Phils win game one:
http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/news/index.jsp?c_id=phi

(I grew up in NJ, went to college outside Philly, when they last won World Series in 1980, so I'm enjoying this month)

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: October 23, 2008, 10:46:51 AM »
FREE TACO. Huh?
See, http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/fan_forum/tacobell/?partnerId=MLB_enews_tacobell
Oct 28 get a free Taco Bell taco because of the WS stolen base.
Interesting marketing.

In the same vein, I heard Dr. Pepper would give a drink to every person in the US if GnR released their new album by a specific date.
Sharks bleed teal.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: October 23, 2008, 10:55:00 AM »
FREE TACO. Huh?
Oct 28 get a free Taco Bell taco because of the WS stolen base. Interesting marketing.  In the same vein, I heard Dr. Pepper would give a drink to every person in the US if GnR released their new album by a specific date.
Free tacos and soda for everyone!  Now we'll need free Tums and Kaopectate ;)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: October 23, 2008, 11:00:15 AM »
FREE TACO. Huh?
Oct 28 get a free Taco Bell taco because of the WS stolen base. Interesting marketing.  In the same vein, I heard Dr. Pepper would give a drink to every person in the US if GnR released their new album by a specific date.
Free tacos and soda for everyone!  Now we'll need free Tums and Kaopectate ;)

you only get those if there's a "squeeze play" in the "bottom" of an inning...
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: October 23, 2008, 05:50:48 PM »
In the same vein, I heard Dr. Pepper would give a drink to every person in the US if GnR released their new album by a specific date.

And there are rumors that that could be coming to pass as well:
http://web.gunsnroses.com/splash.jsp

I'll believe it when I see it.
Let's get right to it.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: October 23, 2008, 08:33:42 PM »
I heard Dr. Pepper would give a drink to every person in the US if GnR released their new album by a specific date.
And there are rumors that could be coming to pass as well:
http://web.gunsnroses.com/splash.jsp
I'll believe it when I see it.
Believe it!  "Dr Pepper flowing as new Guns album arrives":
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081024/en_nm/us_guns_pepper_1

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: October 23, 2008, 11:30:23 PM »
FREE TACO. Huh?
Oct 28 get a free Taco Bell taco because of the WS stolen base.
Interesting marketing.

As a condition of the offer, each consumer agrees: (a) to release, and hold harmless Major League Baseball Properties, Inc., Major League Baseball Enterprises, Inc., MLB Advanced Media, L.P., MLB Media Holdings, Inc., MLB Media Holdings, L.P., MLB Online Services, Inc., the Office of the Commissioner of Baseball, and the Major League Baseball Clubs, and each of their respective shareholders, employees, parents, directors, officers, affiliates, subsidiaries, representatives, agents, successors, and assigns (hereinafter, "MLB Entities"), Sponsor and each of their respective affiliates, subsidiaries, retailers, sales representatives, distributors and franchisees, and each of their officers, directors, employees and agents ("Promotional Parties"), from any and all claims, demands, losses, promises, causes of action, injuries, damages and/or liabilities, that may arise, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from the participation in this Promotion or from the receipt or use or misuse of the Free Taco, or any travel or activity related to the receipt or use of the Free Taco (b) under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and participant hereby waives all rights to claim, punitive, incidental, special, consequential, or any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses; (c) all causes of action arising out of or connected with this Promotion or any Free Taco or any advertising, marketing, promotion or publicity materials in connection therewith, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; and (d) any and all claims, judgments, and award shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, excluding attorneys' fees and court costs. By participating, each consumer agrees that all issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Terms and Conditions, consumer's rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of the Sponsor in connection with this Promotion, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of State of California, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules.

By entering, entrants consent to the jurisdiction and venue of the federal, state and local courts for Irvine, California.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: October 24, 2008, 11:03:00 AM »
especially for Gaz, in case he missed it -- Barry Zito, male model:

http://outsports.com/jocktalkblog/2008/10/23/barry-zito-male-model/

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: October 24, 2008, 10:46:17 PM »
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: October 25, 2008, 06:24:40 PM »
World Series Game 3: It's NOT always Sunny in Philadelphia.  Been raining in Philly all day -- FOX insists that MLB insists the game may still be played, but it's already after nine there.  Meanwhile to add insult to injury, we're now working on our *third* episode of the godawful sitcom Til Death. Yeesh.

ETA: First pitch will be at 10pm EDT.  Better hope this one doesn't go extra innings...

ETA2: Some young blonde woman with a glitter-covered guitar sang the Anthem. No clue who she was; I'm guessing a country singer (she was wearing cowboy boots).
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 06:53:04 PM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: October 26, 2008, 09:28:49 AM »
World Series Game 3: It's NOT always Sunny in Philadelphia.  Been raining in Philly all day -- FOX insists that MLB insists the game may still be played, but it's already after nine there.  Meanwhile to add insult to injury, we're now working on our *third* episode of the godawful sitcom Til Death. Yeesh.

ETA: First pitch will be at 10pm EDT.  Better hope this one doesn't go extra innings...

ETA2: Some young blonde woman with a glitter-covered guitar sang the Anthem. No clue who she was; I'm guessing a country singer (she was wearing cowboy boots).

It finally ended at about 1:30 my time.  But it was worth it.  NB: with a guy on third and no outs in the ninth, walking the bases loaded is a pretty fricking stupid idea.  Especially with a strikeout pitcher on the mound.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: October 26, 2008, 07:23:44 PM »
Go Kentucky Joe!  I always liked Joe Blanton when he was in Oakland, and tonite as a Phillie he hit a home run in the World Series -- his first home run *ever* and the first by a pitcher in the WS since 1974!  Woo Hoo!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: October 27, 2008, 07:52:31 PM »
In an ugly 39-degree Philly rain, Tampa Bay scores in the top of the 6th to tie it at 2, just before the game is called.  I'm sure Philly fans are pissed to have been a strike away from an official win, but it would have been kinda crappy to win the WS on an incomplete game.  Presumably they'll pick up tomorrow.  What a mess.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: October 27, 2008, 08:33:58 PM »
In an ugly 39-degree Philly rain, Tampa Bay scores in the top of the 6th to tie it at 2, just before the game is called.  I'm sure Philly fans are pissed to have been a strike away from an official win, but it would have been kinda crappy to win the WS on an incomplete game.  Presumably they'll pick up tomorrow.  What a mess.

First time a game has been suspended (and resumed the next day) in WS history, I think. Well, because of rain... earthquakes are another category  ;)

Meanwhile... WTF just happened on MNF? I tuned away for 10 minutes to catch a Rachel Maddow segment and the score went from 14-17 to 14-31 (!!).  Titans will go to 7 and 0.