Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 415838 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #1005 on: July 24, 2008, 10:17:55 PM »
Aurilia rocks the 9th! What a great at bat tonight. Omar is coming back to life too. Great to see. Most enthusiastic 3rd base coaching ever!

I'll take your word for it, but next time the Cardianls are in town, check out the 3rd base coaching of Jose Oquendo.

Three words for the both of you: WENDELL THE WINDMILL.
Would that be Wendell Kim who was with the Giants and then the Expos?
One and the same.  While he was 3B-coaching for the Red Sox, he had a penchant for excitably sending players around to the plate when they had no business doing so.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: July 26, 2008, 10:51:30 AM »
Horrid, awful Giants game last night. I left in the 6th. The only redeeming parts of the night were good weather and a hosted wine tasting before the game up in sect 230. I had just enough 1/4 full glasses of wine and plates of fruit and cheese to dull the pain of the thrashing. Seeing Haren pitch was good. Sanchez sucked. He threw way too many pitches too early.

eta: Emmylou was at the game. I think she was down near Magowan, I just saw her on the big screen. Beautiful.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 11:15:41 PM by Alicat »
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: July 31, 2008, 12:18:41 PM »
Trade Deadline Updates: Tigers trade Pudge-Rod to the Yanks; Reds trying to trade Ken Griffey Jr to White Sox (but he has trade approval). And trade rumors swirl around Manny the Clown, er, Manny Ramirez.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: July 31, 2008, 01:37:19 PM »
Trade Deadline Updates: Tigers trade Pudge-Rod to the Yanks; Reds trying to trade Ken Griffey Jr to White Sox (but he has trade approval). And trade rumors swirl around Manny the Clown, er, Manny Ramirez.

Update to Update: The Griffey trade is indeed official; Manny has apparently been traded to the Dodgers.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: July 31, 2008, 01:38:25 PM »
Manny has apparently been traded to the Dodgers.

!!!!!

I did not see that coming.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: July 31, 2008, 01:54:04 PM »

!!!!!

In Boston I could ignore Manny and his ugly-ass hair extensions; now I'll have to see him whenever the Dodgers play the Giants. >:(

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: July 31, 2008, 06:02:00 PM »

!!!!!

In Boston I could ignore Manny and his ugly-ass hair extensions; now I'll have to see him whenever the Dodgers play the Giants. >:(

Jason Bay goes to Boston.  He's on my fantasy team, and already having a very good year.  Hopefully the change won't mess him up, but I can't imagine being in the middle of the Boston lineup will hurt.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: August 01, 2008, 10:21:36 AM »

!!!!!

Jason Bay goes to Boston.  He's on my fantasy team, and already having a very good year.  Hopefully the change won't mess him up, but I can't imagine being in the middle of the Boston lineup will hurt.
"Bay Back in Back Bay" makes for a great headline, though.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: August 07, 2008, 09:03:18 AM »
fwiw, Favre goes to the Jets. He'll pass thru OAK and SF in a few months.
Sharks bleed teal.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: August 07, 2008, 09:23:33 AM »
I love it.  They were, by all acounts, his very last choice.  He should have kept his retirement - and his dignity.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: August 07, 2008, 01:08:43 PM »
I love it.  They were, by all acounts, his very last choice.  He should have kept his retirement - and his dignity.

Exactly. Not the first instance where a superstar lets his ego override his legacy, and goes to a third-rate team rather than going out on top. (See also: Montana, Rice, to name just two.)
Let's get right to it.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: August 07, 2008, 01:46:25 PM »
As I recall, Montana WAS forced out (with Young in the wings).  And they were phasing out Jerry too.  By that time, Jerry was leaving a 3rd rate team to join another 3rd rate team (neither the 9ers nor the Raiders were too good), and had a couple good years in Silver and Black.  As did Ronnie Lott, when he decided he wasn't done when the 9ers said he was.

In the end, if a guy wants to keep playing, who cares about the legacy?  He wants to play.  It's more than a business, it's a game too.  I don't think you can say the reputations of the players mentioned above are in any way diminished by the years they spent elsewhere.  Same with Marcus Allen.  They remain great players.

Still, the Favre fiasco was handled poorly (understatement) by both Farve and the Packers, and the media over-reported it, making it a bigger story (outside of green bay) than it really deserved to be.  I'm not a Packer fan -- I don't care!
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: August 07, 2008, 02:55:02 PM »

In the end, if a guy wants to keep playing, who cares about the legacy?  He wants to play.  It's more than a business, it's a game too. 

At the Walnut Creek remote last Fri, Bill Romanowski said pretty much the same thing.  The news was just breaking that morning about the Packers offer of $20 Million to stay retired.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: August 07, 2008, 03:55:08 PM »
Red Sawx pick up Brian Giles off waivers from the Padres.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: August 08, 2008, 10:29:56 AM »
Red Sawx pick up Brian Giles off waivers from the Padres.
Giles, who holds limited veto rights, has apparently scuttled the deal.  Guess he'd rather have useless at bats in a cavernous ballpark where he can't hit double-digit home runs anymore than have a chance at a ring on the bench with the Sox.