Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 415867 times)

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #975 on: May 15, 2008, 09:20:07 AM »
California's ballparks top the list of stadiums with health code violations. Yum!

http://www.portfolio.com/culture-lifestyle/culture-inc/sports/2008/05/12/Health-Code-Violations-at-Ballparks
I'll force myself to personally test some food stuffs at AT&T tomorrow.

some Zito sticks? or maybe Bengie Molina chorizo? Mmmmm...
Those don't sound good for today. There's plenty more to choose from.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: May 23, 2008, 09:08:59 PM »
Congrats to Barry Zito for (finally) getting his first win of the season! Giants beat the Marlins. And the A's are outslugging the evil Red Sox (and their obnoxious fans) 8-3 in the 7th. Big Frank Thomas has been on fire this week.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 09:10:42 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: June 07, 2008, 10:40:36 PM »
Dunno how many of you read the Sports Illustrated "Pop Culture Grid" feature each week; they ask a panel of 3 or 4 athletes questions like "Name the book you read (DVD you watched/song you downloaded) most recently?" etc. The Giants' Tim Lincecum was one of the jocks this week; one of the questions was "what was the last concert you saw?" Young Tim's answer: "I have never been to a concert" -- !?! -- damn, the kid needs to get out more, or at least hang around with Zito.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #978 on: June 07, 2008, 11:00:57 PM »
Dunno how many of you read the Sports Illustrated "Pop Culture Grid" feature each week; they ask a panel of 3 or 4 athletes questions like "Name the book you read (DVD you watched/song you downloaded) most recently?" etc. The Giants' Tim Lincecum was one of the jocks this week; one of the questions was "what was the last concert you saw?" Young Tim's answer: "I have never been to a concert" -- !?! -- damn, the kid needs to get out more, or at least hang around with Zito.
I guess to judge from how things have gone this year, he probably shouldn't do anything Zitoesque!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: June 07, 2008, 11:34:58 PM »
I guess to judge from how things have gone this year, he probably shouldn't do anything Zitoesque!

Bwahahahaha!  I knew somebody would say that!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #980 on: June 08, 2008, 05:07:49 PM »
Bwahahahaha!  I knew somebody would say that!
Well, it had straight line written all over it, so I had to oblige you!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: June 18, 2008, 08:59:11 AM »
Since only Geoff and I follow golf, I had refrained from congratulating Tiger on his gutty performance in our nation's Championship, but now it looks like Tiger will miss the rest of the year as a result.  Tiger was in obvious pain most of Saturday, and early Sunday, though he admitted that he "took something" for the pain on Sunday (and, presumably, on Monday for the playoff).  Anyway, golf ratings are about to take a major hit.  We'll miss him while he's gone.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/06/18/sports/s083241D10.DTL&tsp=1
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: June 18, 2008, 09:03:38 AM »
Since only Geoff and I follow golf, I had refrained from congratulating Tiger on his gutty performance in our nation's Championship, but now it looks like Tiger will miss the rest of the year as a result.  Tiger was in obvious pain most of Saturday, and early Sunday, though he admitted that he "took something" for the pain on Sunday (and, presumably, on Monday for the playoff).  Anyway, golf ratings are about to take a major hit.  We'll miss him while he's gone.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/06/18/sports/s083241D10.DTL&tsp=1

Well, that's what he gets for saying stupid things about hockey ;) And with a Swedish wife, no less.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: June 18, 2008, 09:12:34 AM »

Well, that's what he gets for saying stupid things about hockey ;) And with a Swedish wife, no less.

"Nobody watches golf anyway."

Hey, maybe Jevon Walker insulted some hockey fans too!  And they mugged him, a perfectly innocent and not at all flaunting all his wealth and fame guy.

*sigh*

>:(
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: June 18, 2008, 09:15:13 AM »

"Nobody watches golf anyway."

Hey, maybe Jevon Walker insulted some hockey fans too!  And they mugged him, a perfectly innocent and not at all flaunting all his wealth and fame guy.

*sigh*

>:(

Flaunting his bling -- in VEGAS? No, really?

SFGuy

« Reply #985 on: June 18, 2008, 11:36:18 PM »

But aren't there only like 3 people in the entire US who watches hockey?? ;)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: June 19, 2008, 07:53:33 AM »

But aren't there only like 3 people in the entire US who watches hockey?? ;)

INFIDEL!

Actually, if he'd said that the past couple of years, he'd've had a point; but the ratings actually were UP this year for the Cup Finals, due to it being Detroit & Pittsburgh, two actual "hockey towns" with rabid fan bases.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: June 19, 2008, 08:18:16 AM »
NHL!!!!! love it!
Sharks bleed teal.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: July 08, 2008, 06:03:17 PM »
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: July 08, 2008, 08:49:00 PM »
Harden gone to Cubbies...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/07/08/SPFE11LLCS.DTL

Moneyball strikes again.

Wow. And Chad Go-Down too. Well, the A's *are* in bad shape, injury-wise...

Too bad they weren't in the hunt for Sabathia.

ETA: OTOH, Duchscherer just pitched his first complete game, a 2-hit shutout in roughly an hour and 50 mins. Damn!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 08:59:08 PM by RGMike »