Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 415679 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #900 on: March 25, 2008, 02:59:59 PM »
or to put it another way, the China gov't took a very measured response* in Tibet, not because any Western gov't immediately threatened an Olympic boycott, but because none did. 

*if you don't think the gov't response was measured, two things: first read the eyewitness account in the Economist, don't take my word for it.  second, imagine if this kind of rioting had happened post-Katrina & thousands of blacks had burned down the businesses of hundreds of whites and several families worth of whites had been burned alive.  Any thoughts about how that would have played out?
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: March 26, 2008, 09:29:12 AM »
Mark, you bring up some great points here that I'm going to contemplate.  Thank you.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: March 26, 2008, 03:54:16 PM »

Mark, you bring up some great points here that I'm going to contemplate.  Thank you.

According to reports since that Economist article was filed a week ago, seems several dozen more deaths have occurred and are being blamed on the authorities not the rioters.  Like I said, authoritarian gov't and their tools suck, and it was maybe only 'a measured response' during the first couple days.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: March 28, 2008, 08:43:28 PM »
Hope Ali is watching tonite, as the Sharks are 20 mins away from a Division title -- leading the Ducks (last year's Cup champs) 3-1 after 2 periods in LA Disneyland Anaheim.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: March 28, 2008, 09:27:20 PM »
Hope Ali is watching tonite, as the Sharks are 20 mins away from a Division title -- leading the Ducks (last year's Cup champs) 3-1 after 2 periods in LA Disneyland Anaheim.

Ladies and gents, your Pacific Division champs: the San Jose Sharks!!!  WOO F---ING HOO!  Alicat, you have the floor...

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: March 30, 2008, 10:48:46 PM »

Ladies and gents, your Pacific Division champs: the San Jose Sharks!!!  WOO F---ING HOO!  Alicat, you have the floor...
Indeed, woooo f---ing hoo!
I was THERE on Thursday. JR rocks. I MUST gush....
I didn't know it was an early start but I arrived about 6:30, heard music, looked down and saw the pregame skate started. I rushed down to the glass by the Sharks bench and delighted in the action. I had my "big" camera and was shooting some action. Lo and behold, JR stopped in front of me. He was going to flip a puck to the crowd. Not an uncommon event. I thought he flipped it and I looked up and over my shoulder to see where it went. I looked back at him and he looked at me like I was an idiot and was waiting for me to put my hands up to be ready to get the puck. OMFG! (I KNOW he recognizes me) Lady next to me raised her hand as the puck came up and over the glass, she got a slight elbow from me (get the hell outta the way) and I had an icy puck in hand. JR smiled and skated away. This was not the "practice" puck my kids got a month or so back. It says "official NHL" and has the Sharks logo on it. My legs were wobbly after that. That man just has it going on!
Tremendous game as well. This was my last game of the season until playoffs.

Saw the Ducks game on TV at a bowling alley. Saw the final 5 in the bar while they had karaoke going on. The game was much better than the live entertainment. I think the singers were happier when the game was over and I was gone! I hooted and hollered a little at the TV while they were singing. C'est la vie.
Sharks bleed teal.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: March 30, 2008, 11:05:40 PM »
A little Giants love in addition to the Sharks.
In between the Thursday night game and the Ducks game, I spent a few joyous hours on Friday rubbing elbows with the Giants at Moscone. This was the annual luncheon where you get to take pics and get autographs, etc....
Mr Zito was not too big-headed this year and was quite pleasant and available for pictures and autographs. Bengie Molina was charismatic and a more reserved Yabu was next to him. So many other new young guys, I have no idea yet who they are but have their pics. Had a nice meet and greet with Tim Lincecum and Aaron Rowand. Lincecum is in dire need of decent haircut. Seems too young to be away from Mom and Dad. Met Tito Fuentes who was chatty and having a good time. I have to admit I had no idea who he was but after looking him up afterwards, he is quite a guy. Ended the day with a very friendly and funny Jon Miller.

MIA were Noah Lowry and Omar. Both apparently still rehabbing in AZ. Kevin Frandsen was there on crutches but signing autographs. Glorious, just glorious.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: March 31, 2008, 03:16:39 PM »
A little Giants love in addition to the Sharks.
In between the Thursday night game and the Ducks game, I spent a few joyous hours on Friday rubbing elbows with the Giants at Moscone. This was the annual luncheon where you get to take pics and get autographs, etc....
Mr Zito was not too big-headed this year and was quite pleasant and available for pictures and autographs. Bengie Molina was charismatic and a more reserved Yabu was next to him. So many other new young guys, I have no idea yet who they are but have their pics. Had a nice meet and greet with Tim Lincecum and Aaron Rowand. Lincecum is in dire need of decent haircut. Seems too young to be away from Mom and Dad. Met Tito Fuentes who was chatty and having a good time. I have to admit I had no idea who he was but after looking him up afterwards, he is quite a guy. Ended the day with a very friendly and funny Jon Miller.

MIA were Noah Lowry and Omar. Both apparently still rehabbing in AZ. Kevin Frandsen was there on crutches but signing autographs. Glorious, just glorious.

Zito getting shelled again in today's opener. But in other news: Touchdownnnnn..... RAIIIIIDERRRRZ!:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/03/31/SPLFVTDMK.DTL

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: April 01, 2008, 08:08:46 AM »
A little Giants love...

I think the G-men won't be getting too much love this year. Gonna be a loooooooong season:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/04/01/SP6IVTDTI.DTL

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: April 01, 2008, 09:16:43 PM »
So, as of yesterday, FSN Bay Area is now Comcast Sports Net Bay Area.  WTF?

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: April 02, 2008, 10:13:47 AM »
A little Giants love...

I think the G-men won't be getting too much love this year. Gonna be a loooooooong season:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/04/01/SP6IVTDTI.DTL

Gonna be just as long for the Cardinals fans.  Some question whether or not they can even stay ahead of Pittsburgh and thus out of the cellar.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: April 04, 2008, 10:09:17 AM »
Urth:
Giants opening day or night for you?
Anyone else here going?
Sharks bleed teal.

SFGuy

« Reply #912 on: April 04, 2008, 11:49:02 PM »
So, as of yesterday, FSN Bay Area is now Comcast Sports Net Bay Area.  WTF?

Comcast owns FSN Bay Area and made the switch on March 31st on the Giants opening day. The Giants back in January purchased 20-30% of Comcast Sports Net Bay Area which is why the change was made on the 31st. So the Giants have the extra revenue stream coming in from the network. In a way, the Giants have a need for the success of the Oakland A's.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: April 07, 2008, 12:02:15 AM »
Props to the Stanford women for making the NCAA title game against Tennessee on Tuesday.

My extended family will all be rooting for the Jayhawks tomorrow night in the Men's final as it is my mom's & aunt's alma mater.  And of course my brother & Davemack are alums of the Farm.

Much has been made of the fact that this was the first time that all 4 #1 seeds made the Men's Final Four, but the Women have an interesting twist:  All four # 1 seeds made the regional finals against all four #2 seeds, and the 1's & 2's keep splitting.  Both of today's games were 1 vs 2 and the championship will be as well.  So the last 7 games of the tournament all featured a 1 vs 2 matchup.  Not sure what it means but the odds against it must be astronomical.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: April 07, 2008, 09:15:24 AM »
So, as I mentioned previously, I'm staying across from Madison Square Garden this week, and the Rangers are in the Stanley Cup playoffs. Turns out they play the NJ Devils in the first round -- so I have a choice between going to Newark Friday night or the Garden on Sunday. Woo Hoo!