Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 415743 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #870 on: March 05, 2008, 12:32:42 PM »
Big day for sports injuries:

From the Giants camp, Omar Vizquel is out for a few weeks at least, having knee surgery:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/02/26/SPRGV91JD.DTL

Kevin Frandsen is my dark-horse pick for my upcoming fantasy baseball draft.

From Tim Kawakami of the Merc - 
The Giants' road to 99 losses: Until Omar Vizquel gets back from knee surgery, it's Rich Aurilia at third, Kevin Frandsen at shortstop, Ray Durham at second, Dan Ortmeier at first.

Hmm, I'm not down there at Giants spring training, but that truly does sound like the worst fielding infield in the history of the franchise.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 01:29:16 PM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: March 13, 2008, 08:00:35 AM »
nice Chron piece about Tim Lincecum's musical tastes:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/03/13/SPDVVH991.DTL
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: March 13, 2008, 08:06:18 AM »

"I still listen to all the stuff my dad listened to, Bobby Brown and Fleetwood Mac and stuff like that,"

Wha-Wha-WHAT?!?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: March 13, 2008, 08:08:34 AM »

"I still listen to all the stuff my dad listened to, Bobby Brown and Fleetwood Mac and stuff like that,"

Wha-Wha-WHAT?!?

Well, his dad sounds like a pretty cool guy, but I'm guessing young Timmy got James and Bobby confused -- all Browns look alike, as Gerry Ferraro might say.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: March 13, 2008, 09:54:16 AM »

The Rockets had won 12 straight and moved ahead of the Warriors in the playoff picture, but I can't see that continuing.

Worst prognostication of the year?  Houston has since stretched their winning streak to 20 games, tied for second longest in NBA history, and now they've moved up to #2 in the standings in the Western Conf, so they've passed by alot more than the Warriors.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: March 13, 2008, 03:26:43 PM »
I somehow missed this Scott Spezio story until now:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3267428

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: March 14, 2008, 09:06:53 PM »
wooo hoooo SHARKS. Helluva game tonight. Saw on TV while out earlier, came home and no game. I'm bummed. Listening on KUFX and watching sharks site.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: March 14, 2008, 09:57:43 PM »
wooo hoooo SHARKS. Helluva game tonight. Saw on TV while out earlier, came home and no game. I'm bummed. Listening on KUFX and watching sharks site.

it was on FSN+, which is 116 and 410 on Comcast.  11 in a row, WOO HOO!  Let's make it an even dozen on Sunday.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: March 16, 2008, 09:18:37 PM »

The Rockets had won 12 straight and moved ahead of the Warriors in the playoff picture, but I can't see that continuing.

Worst prognostication of the year?  Houston has since stretched their winning streak to 20 games, tied for second longest in NBA history, and now they've moved up to #2 in the standings in the Western Conf, so they've passed by alot more than the Warriors.

And they won again today against a depleted Laker team (up to 22 in a row now).  I admire your honesty in admitting your inability to percieve the endless possiblilities the future affords. 

The Warrior stubbornly hold onto the 8th spot, but man it's tough.  What are they?  16 games over .500 and they aren't assured a spot in the playoffs.  It aint fair.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: March 16, 2008, 10:26:15 PM »
The Warrior stubbornly hold onto the 8th spot, but man it's tough.  What are they?  16 games over .500 and they aren't assured a spot in the playoffs.  It aint fair.

Meanwhile in the pathetic Eastern conference, there are two teams tied for the #8 slot in the playoffs--Atlanta and New Jersey. Both are 10 games BELOW .500. And that's just not fair, neither--they have no business making it to the postseason. More fuel for Bruce Jenkins' argument that the NBA playoffs should take the 16 teams with the best records, regardless of who's in which conference. Period.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: March 17, 2008, 08:29:41 AM »

Meanwhile in the pathetic Eastern conference, there are two teams tied for the #8 slot in the playoffs--Atlanta and New Jersey. Both are 10 games BELOW .500. And that's just not fair, neither--they have no business making it to the postseason. More fuel for Bruce Jenkins' argument that the NBA playoffs should take the 16 teams with the best records, regardless of who's in which conference. Period.

Makes a lot of sense except that it nullifies much of the point of having conferences at all.  What the NBA appears to need more than anything else is serious contraction.  How on earth do you wind up with a half-dozen or so teams playing .300 or worse ball?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: March 17, 2008, 08:58:44 AM »

Makes a lot of sense except that it nullifies much of the point of having conferences at all.  What the NBA appears to need more than anything else is serious contraction.  How on earth do you wind up with a half-dozen or so teams playing .300 or worse ball?

One thing they need to do is scrap the lottery.  Worst team should not pick 4th, no matter what.  11th worst team doesn't deserve even a 2% chance at the best player...imho.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: March 17, 2008, 04:05:19 PM »
Meanwhile in the pathetic Eastern conference, there are two teams tied for the #8 slot in the playoffs--Atlanta and New Jersey. Both are 10 games BELOW .500.

Boston, Detroit & Orlando* make the East somewhat less than pathetic, but the drop off after that is scary:  Cleveland, currently 4th in the East (by 3 1/2 games over Toronto) would be 10th if they were in the West.  Sacramento, currently 11th in the West and 11 1/2 games behind the Warriors for the last spot, would be 2 games ahead (with only 16 to go) for the last playoff spot if they were in the East.

*Orlando has 44 wins at the moment.  So do San Antonio, Utah, Dallas, New Olreans and Phoenix.  All but Utah have 1, 2 or 3 fewer losses than Orlando.  The Warriors have the same number of losses but 3 fewer wins.  Totally crazy.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: March 19, 2008, 11:41:20 PM »
I'm probably the only NHL fan lost in the sea of March madness. Sharks rocked tonight. JR is my hero.  Another fantastic game. Clinched a playoff spot, winning the shootout. AMAZING. Nerve wracking night. I'm having dreams of the Stanley Cup.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: March 20, 2008, 07:46:19 AM »
I'm probably the only NHL fan lost in the sea of March madness. Sharks rocked tonight. JR is my hero.  Another fantastic game. Clinched a playoff spot, winning the shootout. AMAZING. Nerve wracking night. I'm having dreams of the Stanley Cup.

it's amazing that Minnesota tied it in the last seconds -- the 2nd time they did that to the Sharks in less than 2 weeks --- and yet the Sharks pulled off a win (also 2nd time in 2 weeks).  Playoffs will be awesome this year.